Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Zomboid

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sure they're just doing it as a hobby and have no big motivation to launch it.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Have they released the new update they were supposed to release in Oct 2011 yet?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Don't think so. I'm pretty happy I went with the TPB edition of the alpha back in the day. Would've sucked to have paid these guys money for nothing.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Oh, I was actually kinda expecting it to be out by now. I bought it back in 2011 and gave up on seeing any updates midway through 2012. It's hilarious that they still haven't released the update. This game will likely never reach 1.0.

Multi-headed Cow

Have they released the new update they were supposed to release in Oct 2011 yet?
It looks like they released SOMETHING at some point in the past year. The most recent release version is "RC2.5", which is apparently missing things to make it sandboxy and may have massive loading and RAM issues because they're incompetent. The loading and RAM issues are supposedly part of what they're working on. Can't be assed to download RC2.5 and try it myself though. I'll wait for 3 try it then and see if it's worth anything.

And on a somewhat related note, Rogue Survivor doesn't look like it's had any updates in ages, and he appears to have stopped work on Rogue Survivor 2 which admittedly didn't sound promising since he was wanting to do a 3D Minecraft-like thing with it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They could do a combined kickstarter for Project Grimroid. Every $10k gthered and they'll release a never-seen-before screenshot... eventually.

Astral Rag

Arcane
:necro:

This is currently on sale but it's also STILL in "early access"...

Game looks kind of interesting but I wonder if it's worth playing in its current state?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Some BROs of mine played it and their reception was lukewarm. It really needs other survivors and a better endgame. Multiplayer is supposed to be 'k, but actually makes the game easier in many respects. If you get infected, you have time to strip naked of all your useful items somewhere accessible for your next character and run off to die.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
This is a fairly nice Isometric RPG that has a solid survival part to it, well, the whole game IS about survival. Yes, it is another Early Access title, but it's been in development for YEARS now and I quite like it. Well, I, and also a few others here are in the Credits so we're forced to like it.

Site: projectzomboid.com

Anyone played it? Any thoughts on it?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I followed it for a while but at some point lost interest and forgot about it because it felt and obviously still feels as if it really won't be finished at all. Would be nice since I think survival RPGs with Zombies are a really nice idea but this is an alpha since like dunno forever

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Its ok if bought on sale. You can waste a couple of hours into it. Difficulty is customizable and in some settings its very hard to survive.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It's still very raw product. Kinda lacks activities once you achieve some stability in your every-day survival. And there are also save-corruption issues in the lategame. So I still prefer URW to this.

I tried it, even bought it, but like everybody already have said, it either needs a good storyline mode in addition to sandbox to stand out from scores of other zombie survival games, or it, at least, should be way more polished and content-rich than it is now. Honestly, for my sandbox zombie survival needs Cataclysm: DDA is way better fit right now.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Until it has survivors inplemented I'm not really interested. zombies-only is kind of boring.

Multi-headed Cow

Just an update on this game, it is almost entirely unchanged from the "Pre-alpha" tech demo put up ages ago. A few relatively minor additions have been made thus far. They claim they've been putting a lot of work into systems that will let them add actual content to the game in a faster manner, but that hasn't showed up yet.
From October 2011, still mostly unchanged. Glorious indie developers~

The funny part is you'll fairly regularly find people praising the Zomboid devs for being good dudes because they put out a blog post once a week and talk about how the game will have features in the future, honest guys, pls buy game we swear it's coming.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Does this actually have stats and stat based skills?

You have traits and skills, and a bunch of insanely detailed survivalist stuff. For instance, you need to eat, drink, sleep, medicate, entertain, etc. If you decide to just eat and sleep, your character will be bored and, as time passes, depressed. If you are running around naked, you will catch a cold, and so on. The crafting in PZ is huge, and makes Underrail’s crafting looks like child’s play.

It's still very raw product. Kinda lacks activities once you achieve some stability in your every-day survival.

The deal breaker for players that doesn’t care much for the crafting and the survivalist stuff are the NPCs and the story. They are promising many things about that for years. I guess we will have to wait and see.

From October 2011, still mostly unchanged. Glorious indie developers

Not true. Check their development updates.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Perkel, people that made all those complaints about the lack of maps in Underrail should try to play Project Zomboid. The maps of each city are yuge and you just get lost. LOL Some people made these maps outside the game with google, look.

Perkel

Arcane
i don't think comparing Zomboid maps to those in Underail has any sense. Two entirely different type of games

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
i don't think comparing Zomboid maps to those in Underail has any sense. Two entirely different type of games

That is precisely the point. The lack of maps in Underrail is a nuisance, but the lack of maps in Zomboid is an integral part of the experience and makes things genuinely difficult.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
How the fuck are they staying afloat? I've owned this game for years now and that's only like half of the development time. Has it changed significantly within the last year?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom