Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Psycho Starship Rampage

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Saw this posted on Temple of the Roguelike and decided to give it a closer look since I was in the mood for this sort of thing... and it's way better than I expected. It's fucking awesome.

The premise is simple: You're a modular ship you customize yourself, and you gain resources and unlock new parts to use to this end by blowing shit up. Pretty similar to Tyrian 2000 in that regard. But instead of scripted levels, everything is procedurally generated (hence the roguelikelikedness) and you get to pick a path through the system, which is prodded along by a doom fleet akin to FTL.

What makes it so good is the combination of weapon/build options and the fact that you can't just get everything like you can in Tyrian. You need to make choices about where to go (which can be somewhat better informed by picking up map data from doing levels, early on you're blind but as things progress you have a good idea of what items are where). Some examples of builds I tried:

Variations of your usual vulcan gun spam, spread of focus fired (missiles seem to work better for this, energy weapons have a weird property where they bump into eachother and merge or cancel eachother something, also the missiles fire just slowly enough to let your energy recharge between shots, your power won't restore while actively using energy, but it's a very short delay, like maybe half a second.)

Heavily armoured hull in the front + repair modules to just ram shit. (This seemed rather weak, but I suspect it'd be good in combination with certain other parts I haven't seen/used yet.)

Repulsion blasts that knock away ships and debris (debris collision is very much a thing) and leave their engines fucked for a short while. (Again, this seemed weak, but could be very good in combination with other things I've since unlocked.)

'Graviton' torpedos, which create a gravity well that sucks in everything nearby, including weaponry and yourself. I tried spamming the fuck out of them, but I basically just got sucked into the meatgrinder myself, and friendly ships don't collide sadly (though damaged ones can leave wrecks which do.) However, if some large debris was on screen, this quite often cleared the screen. Also, the effect stacked, 2 torpedos had a fairly small event horizon, 6 would basically cover the screen. I can easily imagine later with stronger versions and cycling them a strategy where (with sufficient engines to save yourself) you simply keep all the enemies endlessly flailing in a giant ball at the other side of the screen. Obviously this has huge potential with any sort of AoE weapon too (I saw some 'mines' on the map early, probably a brutal combo with these.)

Subspace cannon, which basically charged up a big ball of doom that then floated forward (less charge = smaller, faster moving ball that expires more quickly) damaging anything on top of it, again, including you. Also eats bullets, so sadly I couldn't fire this and then fire the gravity torps in. I could do it the other way around though, and it was pretty effective except against the boss ship. I also considered that with enough generators, you could stick these all over your ship and just be a giant ball of subspace doom immune to bullets.

Some names of other shit I've seen on the map but not acquired:

Force spikes
Kinetic energy shield
Stopping Missiles
Tractor beam

http://www.ballisticfrogs.com/ (Too lazy to copy screenshots to imgur.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom