Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 35 / 100 remaining)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Psychodelic rock thread

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Suchy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
    Click here and disable ads!
    My recent discovery - The Black Angels

At times they try too hard to be The Doors, good stuff anyway. Trippy as fuck.

The Verve

They have a couple of good songs, but overall not that great.

Post your stuff.
    Drax, Freelance Henchman and Mangoose Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    Not a big fan of psych rock but this is pretty good.

Freelance Henchman and Suchy Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
  4. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Dude, The Verve are incredible...just not that album. Sheesh. Try their first three EPs and A Storm in Heaven.

Also:
    ^ Top  
  5. procrastinator Erudite

procrastinator

:troll:
    Freelance Henchman Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  6. Satori Prophet

Satori

catfood and hoverdog Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  7. Wulfstand Arbiter

Wulfstand

^ some god-tier psychedelic rock, right there.
    ^ Top  
  8. Monocause Augur

Monocause

I won't bother posting The Doors or Jefferson Airplane for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Not usually classified as psych rock but this track has many of the critical features, so:

^ Top  
  9. Freelance Henchman Arcane

Freelance Henchman
    Project: Eternity
    ^ Top  
  10. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe

/end thread, best psycodelic album ever made, download it and listen from start to finish.
    ^ Top  
  11. Monocause Augur

Monocause
    I don't know. Perhaps it's due to the record's poor quality but it doesn't give enough breathing space for me, I'm also not exactly fond of the vocals and of the guitar sound (I mean the sound per se, not the composition).
    ^ Top  
  12. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  13. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    How come? I can understand you don't like the "sound", but the production and mixing is great, at the same level, or even better, than other classics from the same year, like Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards.
    ^ Top  
  14. Monocause Augur

Monocause
    I was blaming the YT compression but perhaps that's not it. The guitars are stuck at middle-high frequencies and feel flat as a result, the drums are audible at high and low drum-relevant frequencies but the mids seem curbed. All in all it feels as if a frequency range somewhere in the lower-average mids was stomped. I'm not good at distinguishing stuff like this yet so I might've named the wrong ranges, need more sound engineering experience but there's definitely something wrong with it.

Check another version of Cream's Strange Brew for comparison .

Same period, sounds much better even if the lower ranges are too strong in this vid and highs are cut. I don't know whether the studio version I posted earlier is remastered or not but even remastering can do only so much if the original recording is crap.
    ^ Top  
  15. The man who wasn't there Educated

The man who wasn't there
  16. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    BRO, no offense, but I feel bad for you if that is really stopping you from enjoying that album. It's not healthy to have such a technical view of the world. I'm a video editor, but I don't watch movies thinking "OMG, that cut, he fucked up the raccord, this movie sucks!".
    ^ Top  
  17. Monocause Augur

Monocause
    Nah, it doesn't ;) The 13th floor elevators track I posted is extremely crap both in terms of mixing and sound quality (I think the only copies available today are tape cassette rips). It's more a case of aesthetics - I prefer a smoother type of psych rock and if it's faster and more cramped I prefer it more punkish and angry (hence the 13th FE). This is somewhere in between - there's a lot of shit going on musically most of the time but it doesn't connect with me.

I'm not calling what you posted bad, just can't get into it and the technicalities are just one of the minor reasons for it.
    ^ Top  
  18. Suchy Arcane

Suchy

AiC play grunge, but this track definitely fits the genre.

And something heavier:

Technically it's doom/sludge, but the second half hits the psychodelic vibe hard.
    ^ Top  
  19. Gnidrologist Arcane

Gnidrologist
    the faking embedding thingie doesn't work for me so here. three pieces of very different kind of psych rock

^ Top  
  20. Redeye Magister

Redeye
    ^ Top  
  21. eric_s Developer

eric_s
    Awesome.

I'm a huge psychedelic fan and I was even thinking of making a topic like this before I found it.

Everyone's favorite krautrock band is Can and they're the best ever, but Uranus by Gaa is probably my favorite individual krautrock song.

Turkey had one of the best psychedelic scenes ever in the 60s and 70s and Erkin Koray was the undisputed king. I'll make a topic about it someday, but pretty much all Turkish psychedelic, called Anadolu rock, rules.

Wooden Shjips is one of my favorite modern psychedelic groups. This is off their lesser-known Loose Lips LP, which is my favorite release.

Earthless is really heavy modern psychedelic that jumps from catchy riff to catchy riff. It relies too much on virtuosity and POWER RIFFS or whatever but it's still very good.

OM IS MY FAVORITE BAND AND THIS IS THE BEST SONG.
    Freelance Henchman and Suchy Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  22. Lonerville Educated

Lonerville
  23. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
  24. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
  25. piydek Arbiter

piydek
    Great taste in your rock guys. Here's two great fucking bands that to my surprise haven't been listed yet that you might enjoy:

Seven that spells

Acid mothers temple
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)