Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

Mustawd

J_C's mental landscape is starting to look like a senior Nazi official in 1944.

Let's send him over the edge...

http://theralphretort.com/if-you-give-tim-schafer-money-you-deserve-to-get-conned-12015015/

I don't have a dog in this fight, but that article/blog post was stupid. Da fuck does Schafer being an SJW have anything to do with his project management skills? If anything it makes his point less valid because it looks like he doesn't have enough of an argument to stick to the point.

EDIT: Thanks for linking that, so I know to ignore that dumbass in the future. What a retard.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can we make not Matt Barton Psychonauts 2 Information Minister?
07-minister.jpg

"Psychonauts 2 will be best game ever and truly a boon to all mankind, I have personally invested this many in its production."

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C's mental landscape is starting to look like a senior Nazi official in 1944.

Let's send him over the edge...

http://theralphretort.com/if-you-give-tim-schafer-money-you-deserve-to-get-conned-12015015/
Thanks for posting that article written by a retarded idiot. It sure proves that I was right all the time. :smug:
Also, look at all the butthurt idiots in the comments section. All those tears taste delicious. Do you guys also have some sweet butthurt tears for me?
Tim never conned me, because pushing the release date of Broken Age doesn't constitute as fraud.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
giphy.gif

Let's be honest tho, Kickstarter isn't less fishy. If some project wants to scam people from their money, they can do it... and they have done it. I don't see much difference aside from the investor model. As for game-media investing in FIG games and promoting them for profit... LOL YEAH RIGHT getting adds from EA and Ubisoft is much more profitable than investing big sums of your OWN money and hoping to gain substantial profit from indie productions... especially Shaffer's.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Let's be honest tho, Kickstarter isn't less fishy. [sic..] I don't see much difference aside from the investor model.

If you keep bumping the date, you never risk having the campaign fail and thus having to refund the Shekals.
I would like to point out that fudging dates is only possible now because they are running the site too.

They have become judge, jury and executioner. They control how much information goes out, they control how long campaigns go for, they control transparency on what is donated.

It went from a neutral website whose incentive is to get as many funded projects as possible on a level playing field (AKA bad ideas should fail quickly and be replaced by better ones) to an environment where Tims goal is to get his projects funded no matter what.

"Now let's find out if anyone wants this game.... okay not enough people want it yet.. add more days"

EDIT
INB4 "Oh we had a typo on the dollar amount.. we meant 2.3 million.. WHEW FUNDED!"

[sic..] The point is, -after- people have committed to X Goal with Y Parameters... DF can at any time go in and fudge around the numbers without asking anyone for permission or refunding back your pledge and asking you if you would like to continue pledging under the new circumstances.

If they are just gonna move goal posts every time the numbers look bad.. that could greatly affect the game that comes out the other end and there is no consumer protection / rules against it.
They control every end point.

Also Tim is a shady crook and the exact person you don't want overseeing this shit.

Grimlorn

Arcane
giphy.gif

Let's be honest tho, Kickstarter isn't less fishy. If some project wants to scam people from their money, they can do it... and they have done it. I don't see much difference aside from the investor model. As for game-media investing in FIG games and promoting them for profit... LOL YEAH RIGHT getting adds from EA and Ubisoft is much more profitable than investing big sums of your OWN money and hoping to gain substantial profit from indie productions... especially Shaffer's.
It would be highly unethical for journalists to be investing in games they cover. Not sure how anyone could seriously suggest this. You would have journalists promoting games because they invested in them and want to make their money back rather than being objective and promoting games because they are good.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is also worth noting that they achieved 2,7mil with one of the lowest effort campaign I've ever seen. With the exception of that 3 retrospective videos at the start, they are not offereing any updates which worth a damn. And yet they are swimming in money. Eat that haters! :smug:
Although without the investors, they would be in deep shit, that will save this campaign.

Divinity: Original Sin
I'll pirate the first episode of this game which I'll finish in one siting. Then I'll never touch it again. That's my prediction.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The game will come out as a regular release and it will blow your mind. You'll see.

Modron

Arcane

And to think this was the game he said couldn't be made for less than something like 18million when Notch was offering to fund it. :troll:

I wonder how much funding DF is getting outside of the fig campaign/pilfered from their other kickstarters.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

And to think this was the game he said couldn't be made for less than something like 18million when Notch was offering to fund it. :troll:

I wonder how much funding DF is getting outside of the fig campaign/pilfered from their other kickstarters.
If you read the campaign info, a lot of it is spelled out for you. They will be getting money from others sources as well as putting in their own money. I guess reading is hard.

Alex

Arcane
It would be highly unethical for journalists to be investing in games they cover. Not sure how anyone could seriously suggest this. You would have journalists promoting games because they invested in them and want to make their money back rather than being objective and promoting games because they are good.
:hahyou:

Well, I think it would be more to the point that news outlets would be investing in the games they cover, not necessarily individual game journalists. Of course this isn't particularly worse than the way game media already works, but I don't see anything wrong with what Grimlorn said.

Boleskine

Arcane

Great video. You'll never see any "gaming journalists" do a fraction of the research this guy did.

I have no idea why anybody continues to trust and give money to Tim Schafer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom