Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Are you guys ready to have your money thrown down the drain?
schafer_2.png

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am so glad that other people decided to fund this for me.

But that was the easy part, I was pretty confident it would happen.

Now the two much less probable events need to occur:
1 Double Fine actually makes the game
2. It turns out a worthy successor to Psychonauts

I have little hope these will happen, but little hope is better than none.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I am so glad that other people decided to fund this for me.

But that was the easy part, I was pretty confident it would happen.

Now the two much less probable events need to occur:
1 Double Fine actually makes the game
2. It turns out a worthy successor to Psychonauts

I have little hope these will happen, but little hope is better than none.

This.

I feel like a communist dictator with his feet up on a desk smoking cigar as my useful idiot SJW's slowly degrade western values. It's really Win-Win.

If it gets funded and turns out to be an amazing game - I will buy it and play it.
If it gets funded and turns out to be shit, or not even released - I can laugh at all the tim shills on the codex while stroking my dick.

Win-Win.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/201...aign-delayed-by-sec-requested-clarifications/
Fig “Psychonauts 2″ Equity Crowdfunding Campaign Delayed by SEC Requested Clarifications

February 2, 2016 @ 2:51 pm By Samantha Hurst

Last month, Double Fine closed the crowdfunding campaign on Fig for its highly anticipated video game, Psychonauts 2. According to the campaign page, the initiative raised over $3.8 million from 24,000 backers. A portion of the funding is part of an equity crowdfunding offer under Regulation A+, a relatively new securities exemption that allows anyone to purchase pre-IPO shares in a company. Reg A+ allows issuers to raise up to $50 million in what has been described as a mini-IPO type offer. The popularity of Psychonauts creates an intrinsic base of investors that may help to fund the company’s growth. Unfortunately it appears the equity portion has not been released to Double Fine as the SEC has requested certain clarifications.

According to report in Polygon, the campaign raised $1,954.524 in rewards-based funds as well as $1,874,500 in equity investments. The rewards portion has been dispersed but the $1.874 million remains in limbo.

The new crowdfunding platform shared in an email:

“The SEC filing must be qualified before we can collect the investment reservations placed by unaccredited investors. We received commented back from the SEC on January 17th, which was 26 days after we made our filing, and the number of comments we received were low. As a result, we currently expect to be able to complete the unaccredited process in the next 4 to 8 weeks.”

Fig also reported that the majority of reward-based backers contributed an average of $81 to the campaign, while the investors gave anywhere between $500 and $2,000.

Representatives commented:

“We already emailed all the investors with an update letting them know we’ve received comments back from the SEC and outlining next steps. Once the filing is qualified, they can complete their investment profile, which includes collecting [banking and wire transfer information], and sign the final investment documents. Once that’s complete, money is transferred, their shares are qualified and we collect info on where to send their payments.”

Double Fine shared with Polygon that the total budget for Psychonauts 2 was between $10 and $13.5 million. The funds are coming from the studio itself, the Fig campaign and an unnamed investor.
e. Probably it's just usual red tape.
So no need to panic J_C.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's just THE usual financial burocracy, but of course TIM SCAMMED EVERYBODY TROLOLOLOL!!!

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
What in the honest fuck is happening with Psychonauts 2?! Last update was in January, all I know is that they have a Lead Game Designer now and... that's it. Their SEC problem was supposed to be cleared up by April.

tormund

Arcane
http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...have-approval-for-crowd-investing-&GroupKeys=
Fig And Psychonauts 2 Still Don’t Have Approval For Crowd Investing

In May, Fig co-founder Justin Bailey told us that the crowdfunding and investing platform was close to getting necessary approvals. “We believe we will finalize any moment, and will let everyone know as soon as we hear from the SEC.” Two months later, the organization is updating its filing as it has not been given the green light to proceed.

Fig is partnering with FundAmerica, which will handle back-end management for the the online platform, keep track of who owns shares, and manage other aspects of the stock. Fig is changing its filing in three ways in hopes of winning SEC approval, which is holding up its ability to collect on unaccredited investments for Psychonauts 2 and other projects.
Our Take

Everything about this feels like Fig moved into crowd-based investing prematurely. The company said on multiple occasions it was close to getting approval.

Instead, potential unaccredited investors are holding non-binding options to purchase. They can walk away with no penalty. In significant numbers, it would have an impact on Psychonauts 2’s development, as well as other projects with shareholders in wait.

I believe far better investment opportunities are out there that won’t tie up your principal for years.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's hope everything will be sorted out in the end. Hopefully this is just some burocracy. Not that I really care, it's just videogames.

Mustawd

Hopefully this is just some burocracy.

Registration with the SEC can take some time, and probably is an expensive process. I've been through an S-1 registration with the SEC and the whole thing was crazy complicated with auditors and lawyers.

This is probably not as complicated as an S-1, but it still will take time, and the fact that it hasn't been accepted tells me they probably underestimated how much red tape it would be. Fig isn't a publicly traded company, so their accountant probably doesn't have an SEC company background. I'm guessing they had to hire some accounting consultants, as well as a law firm, to get them through this.

anyway, yes it's more likely just red tape, and it will eventually get done. But again, for people who don't trust some of the project management of the companies involved (aka doublefine), it's probably not a heartening sign that they did not communicate possible delays to investors/backers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
But again, for people who don't trust some of the project management of the companies involved (aka doublefine), it's probably not a heartening sign that they did not communicate possible delays to investors/backers.
Totally agree. I don't really understand how could they push Fig forward without sorting these things out first.

And not that I want to make excuses for Tim, but he is not a (good) businessman, but the other 2 figureheads in this busingess, Fargo and Feargus are, they should have stepped it to help the business side of things.

Mustawd

I don't really understand how could they push Fig forward without sorting these things out first.

Happens all the time with private companies who are not accustomed to some of the rigorous standards and rules that the SEC requires. The company I referred to earlier promised their board (although not required for private companies, it's considered good corporate governance to have a board) that they'd go public with 3 or 4 different dates. But that was wishful thinking as the accounting was a freaking joke until they hired a brand new team from the ground up. They then replaced the CFO, and eventually fired the CEO when the board finally figured he didn't have the experience to take them public. Eventually this thing went public a year later, but it was a crazy shit show all the way to the end.

So yeah, it's not surprising. I'd say it's not necessarily time to get pissed at fig if you're an investor, but if this thing doesn't get off the ground in a few months, I'd seriously consider thinking about asking for my investment back. I'm no lawyer, so I don't even know if that's easily done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom