Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Will it have Soulsborne combat,exploration and level design ?
Of course it will, it is called Psychonauts 2 for a reason.

Fuck, I even forgot they are trying to shit this one out. And Psychonauts 1 is one of my favorite games. That's how highly I am anticipating this.

http://archive.is/KG50M

TLDR: Pyschonauts 2 on fig was advertised as needing to sell 1.7M copies at a wholesale price of $21 for investors to get an 80% return.

Now that people can actually invest, the terms have changed and it needs to sell over 2M copies at a retail price of $60 for investors to get a 0% return.

Psychonauts 1 has lifetime sales of 1.7M. 736k were when it was in a humble bundle and many more were when it was sold for $1.

What? You mean there aren't massive numbers of platformer fans that are also inexplicably sufficiently 'PC first' to know about indie steam games? Next you'll be telling me my idea for a hardcore Realms of Arkania remake as an Xbox exclusive will struggle to make a profit!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That video confirms one of my fears: That they'd keep the "natural outdoors" aspect of the Psychonauts 1 environment for the sequel solely because the fans liked it.

This means that the odds of Psychonauts 2 just being "more of the same" as its prequel, have increased significantly.

Question is: Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Starbreeze says it will invest US $8 million into the project, before recouping "100 percent of its full investment including marketing costs with an initial revenue share of 85 percent after distribution and platform fees and Fig crowdfunding revenue share."

The company states that Double Fine will continue to develop the game and own the IP, however: "Starbreeze share of revenues will become 60 percent after the investment is recouped. Double Fine will retain 100 percent of the intellectual property relating to Psychonauts 2."

The injection of funds follows a successful crowdfunding campaign. Over 24,000 fans contributed nearly $4 million to make the project happen, while Double Fine has also invested some of its own funds.

85% and 60% revenue share for the publisher !?

Tim is screwed. I guess this is the last stunt he pulls off before he will ungraciously leave the gaming industry.

I already see him sitting on a bench with Feargus while mumbling something about an unattainable slam-dunk. Poor souls.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That video confirms one of my fears: That they'd keep the "natural outdoors" aspect of the Psychonauts 1 environment for the sequel solely because the fans liked it.

This means that the odds of Psychonauts 2 just being "more of the same" as its prequel, have increased significantly.

Question is: Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Psychonauts 1 had little time devoted to the natural outdoor areas, most of its gameplay took place iin wildly varied places in people's minds. So if P2 also has some outdoor areas, it is not a bad thing, since we know that there will be lots of other areas.

Tim is screwed. I guess this is the last stunt he pulls off before he will ungraciously leave the gaming industry.
Yeah, I'm sure he will leave. Just like in the last 5 years, he is constantly leaving the industry.

passerby

Arcane
Fuck. I own stock in Starbreeze. I don't like this. Tim, you sly bastard, you.

DF already have 12m to burn and I'm sure, by the end of it, Tim will somehow reach 20m he wanted from Notch. Sales expectations are unrealistic...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Psychonauts 1 had little time devoted to the natural outdoor areas, most of its gameplay took place iin wildly varied places in people's minds. So if P2 also has some outdoor areas, it is not a bad thing, since we know that there will be lots of other areas.

:retarded:

"Little time devoted to the natural outdoor areas."

Did you even play Psychonauts? It's the one environment that connects all the other environments together, it's the main setting for the entire game.

Yes, there will be other areas I hope there will be other areas, but considering the hole Schafer has dug for himself for the past 10 years or so, I'm not even banking on that.

The point I'm making is, there's not only room to explore other settings, but the flow of the game's story pretty much demands a change of setting. It makes sense for a summer camp to be in the outdoors, it doesn't make much sense for the headquarters of an international organization to be hidden away in a similar environment. And yet that's exactly what we're getting, solely because it'll please the fans.

It's clear that when tens of millions of dollars are on the line, a developer can't even afford the tiniest of deviations from the norm.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

:retarded:

"Little time devoted to the natural outdoor areas."

Did you even play Psychonauts? It's the one environment that connects all the other environments together, it's the main setting for the entire game.
Whatever man, whatever...

Psychonauts 1 had lots of different enviroments, and if P2 will be similar as you fear it will, than P2 will have many distinct areas as well, not just the summer camp.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
(Consider this my blatant attempt at trolling Tim Schafer.)

A video walkthrough of the VR-exclusive title: "Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin" for those of you unwilling to shell out bucks for the title (or the headset).

Highlights:

# All the original voicecast returns.
# The charm of Tim Schafer's characters and good writing is present.
# A good take on how to make an interesting VR game, despite the obvious flaws of the system.
# No SJW shenanigans in sight.
# It feels like a DLC to the original game.
# The game can be completed in less than an hour.
# It seems to tie directly into Psychonauts 2.

So if you like Psychonauts and got an hour to spare, give the video a watch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom