Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Putting the RPG back in the Codex!

Texas Red

Whiner
Um, that's not funny *at all*. Somebody just lost his fucking arm for fuck's sake!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
The Walkin' Dude said:
Um, that's not funny *at all*. Somebody just lost his fucking arm for fuck's sake!
It's not *my* arm so why the fuck should I care?

Herbert West

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:

It was the first time Andhaira's post made me laugh. I'm so bad and it feels so good.

Nael

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
That's not at all funny. Rather sickening actually.

It's not real. Dessicated forearms don't clench fists. Once the major extensor muscles and tendons are detached from the elbow the fingers would never be able to clench like you see in that picture. Even if there was residual current within the muscles. So yeah... fake picture.

TheLostOne

Savant
Nael said:
Jeff Graw said:

It's not real. Dessicated forearms don't clench fists. Once the major extensor muscles and tendons are detached from the elbow the fingers would never be able to clench like you see in that picture. Even if there was residual current within the muscles. So yeah... fake picture.

Aww, now I feel kinda sad for the crock. :(

User was nabbed fit

IIRC, the pic is real. It was on a news website (with the relevant news story of course), IIRC. Maybe his hand was already clenched when it got bitten off? Or I could be wrong. Maybe the news story used a different pic, but they definitely made it look like it was related to the story.

TheLostOne

Savant
I don't know and am too lazy to check, but my understanding is that rigor mortis is unrelated to electrical impulse and actual muscle clenching. I'd be possible to stay in a clenched fist if rigor mortis had set in prior to lunch, right?

Nael

Arcane
TheLostOne said:
Nael said:
Jeff Graw said:

Aww, now I feel kinda sad for the crock. :(

Me too. We all poop, right? :(

Nael

Arcane
ViolentOpposition said:
IIRC, the pic is real. It was on a news website (with the relevant news story of course), IIRC. Maybe his hand was already clenched when it got bitten off? Or I could be wrong. Maybe the news story used a different pic, but they definitely made it look like it was related to the story.

Well if you recall it being real it could be possible if the picture was either taken *immediately* after the incident or if the fingers are somehow curled up against the lip of the croc, and are physically being held in place like that.

If you don't believe what I said earlier try this on yourself: Make a clenched fist, and have a friend firmly press the interior of your forearm about halfway between the wrist and the elbow. You'll find it's hard to keep a clenched fist. Now imagine if instead of your friend collapsing the longum tendons with his wimpy thumb and forefinger it was a giant fucking crocodile. Yeah.

TheLostOne

Savant
TheLostOne said:
I don't know and am too lazy to check, but my understanding is that rigor mortis is unrelated to electrical impulse and actual muscle clenching. I'd be possible to stay in a clenched fist if rigor mortis had set in prior to lunch, right?

User was nabbed fit

Weird, didn't do anything for me. Maybe the more muscle, the more the latter obstructs just 'pressing down' on the area?

Nael

Arcane
TheLostOne said:

Yeah, that could be a possibility. As rigormortis sets in it would cause those tendons to shrink as they lost cellular cohesion (dried up). Rigormortis generally takes 12 hours to set in, but the clenching of muscles and tendons to the degree that it would cause your fingers to close takes at least 2-3 days. Plus my main caveat about the whole thing is rigormortis or not I can't imagine such a dessicated limb having the muscular rigidity required to make a fist.

I dunno 100%. I am by no means a doctor or medical student, but my father worked as both a coroner for the county we lived in and a part-time mortician. He used to take me to work to show me drunk driving victims. He was a very inspiring nutjob.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
blankki9.jpg

fastjack

Augur
re

i recall seeing that croc pic in a bbc online story maybe about 6 mos ago (i suck with things like time estimtes though).

it is a chinese arm, as it happened in china.

as i recall it was a guy fucking around with the croc

Rhett Butler

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Dementia Praecox said:
But will it stop stuff like TOR and JAP?
Potentially, yes.

I don't like this. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who uses TOR a lot, and it would suck to be put on restricted posting because I accidentally posted at the Codex while it was running.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom