Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pyre - Supergiant Games is at it again

pippin

The art looks so-so to be honest. Supergiant relies too much on eye and ear candy to trick you into thinking their games are something unusual, but in the end they are not. Transistor was ok, I still have to finish it though... But I don't get the hype. Cute song, cute art... I feel I saw this somewhere else, really.

Murk

Arcane
What is the name of this 2d art style where-in the movement/animation seems to rely on (seemingly) a static image being stretched?

Dragon's Crown, Child of Light, and Don't Starve also had it.

Whatever it is called, I really do not like it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Haven't played Transistor but Bastion was all presentation no substance. Played like a shitty console casual Diablo clone. Seems like they do better when they go with turn based combat.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So it's real-time, not turn-based, right? Judging by the video, and the fact you control one party member at a time.

Looks interesting, in a weird sort of way.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ugh. Bastion was so pretty, and Transistor trailer looked like it had a nice style. What the hell is this, Cartoon Network meets anime? Their games are basically arcade game + scrolling cutscene, there's no point if it looks this mediocre.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So it's real-time, not turn-based, right? Judging by the video, and the fact you control one party member at a time.

Looks interesting, in a weird sort of way.
Oh, I thought it was going to be turned based? If it's real time then it's another Super Derpy title I can ignore.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Cautiously optimistic about this. I liked their previous games and the only thing that worries me about their upcoming endeavour is the battle system. Visually it reminds me of the boring atrocity that is the fighting system of Banter Saga. But if it's like in Dragon Age where you control one member and the rest are controlled by the ai and you can pick whomever you want at any point, it's gonna be good.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
This looks really good. Bastion was a masterpiece, didn't care for Transistor.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I have yet to play a game where a top selling point was sound or music that was a good game. I played Bastion and it is just pure hipster trash with no depth or any mechanics or gameplay elements of note. I either tried a demo of Transistor or bought it and returned it on steam because it was the same - just super simple super-rpg extra-lite hipster trash for hipster idiots that make shit games with no content popular over amazingly stupid shit like soundtracks. I have no doubt this game so rpg-lite it is not an rpg and is 100% hipster trash with a soundtrack that appeals to people with shit taste in music. If you want a game to have an amazing soundtrack listen to War while playing it.

You guys are awful people who actively support the destruction of the rpg. You buy super shit rpg-lite hipster shit but whine like bitches and complain to no end about real rpgs, just like you did when you shut Troika down.

What will it take to get you guys to understand that your buying habits and your incessant whining directly effects what type of games are made? Real rpgs have tons of moving parts so are prone to bugs. They have deep rpg systems, a ton of content like quests and npcs and items, and triggers, and other space age shit.

When a real rpg comes out you call it shit and go on a hissy fit about bugs. When some rpg-lite hipster shit comes out with no depth at all and no moving parts you love it and masturbate all over it.

You killed every good game developer at the turn of the century and now you fucking nitwits are dead set on doing it again.

How to get more real rpgs and ensure the real rpg developers stay in business? Buy only real rpgs and not rpg-super-lite hipster shit. Support the devs that actually put content into games. Don't pirate real rpgs. Understand the more complex a game is the more bugs it will have. Understand spending $40 on a game with no content and spending $40 on a game with a ton of content is retarded (and the same for two games with $10 price tags, etc). And for the love of god shut the fuck up about soundtracks. No one normal gives a shit about game music because we know about the real deal like War, and Curtis Mayfield, and Queen, Led Zeppelin, and Del the Funky Homosapien.

Just fucking think for a second and realize that being a hipster isn't going to get you liked more or laid. Just think about how your actions have reactions and you can support shit or support real rpgs. If you would rather support shit what the fuck are you doing on an rpg game site?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Do they say anywhere that it's an RPG? Bastion wasn't an RPG, Transistor is not very RPGlike...

I feel like you guys are mad for no good reason.

Also it's hilarious to claim people only pretended to enjoy Bastion because they wanted to get laid, or be hipsters. Do you grasp the concept that others like different things than you do? Jesus...

pippin

Has anyone ever gotten laid after saying "I like this game" to begin with?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You are giving way too much attention to a retard who first suggested it by even considering and mocking such a statement. Let him rot.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have yet to play a game where a top selling point was sound or music that was a good game. I played Bastion and it is just pure hipster trash with no depth or any mechanics or gameplay elements of note. I either tried a demo of Transistor or bought it and returned it on steam because it was the same - just super simple super-rpg extra-lite hipster trash for hipster idiots that make shit games with no content popular over amazingly stupid shit like soundtracks. I have no doubt this game so rpg-lite it is not an rpg and is 100% hipster trash with a soundtrack that appeals to people with shit taste in music. If you want a game to have an amazing soundtrack listen to War while playing it.

You guys are awful people who actively support the destruction of the rpg. You buy super shit rpg-lite hipster shit but whine like bitches and complain to no end about real rpgs, just like you did when you shut Troika down.

What will it take to get you guys to understand that your buying habits and your incessant whining directly effects what type of games are made? Real rpgs have tons of moving parts so are prone to bugs. They have deep rpg systems, a ton of content like quests and npcs and items, and triggers, and other space age shit.

When a real rpg comes out you call it shit and go on a hissy fit about bugs. When some rpg-lite hipster shit comes out with no depth at all and no moving parts you love it and masturbate all over it.

You killed every good game developer at the turn of the century and now you fucking nitwits are dead set on doing it again.

How to get more real rpgs and ensure the real rpg developers stay in business? Buy only real rpgs and not rpg-super-lite hipster shit. Support the devs that actually put content into games. Don't pirate real rpgs. Understand the more complex a game is the more bugs it will have. Understand spending $40 on a game with no content and spending $40 on a game with a ton of content is retarded (and the same for two games with $10 price tags, etc). And for the love of god shut the fuck up about soundtracks. No one normal gives a shit about game music because we know about the real deal like War, and Curtis Mayfield, and Queen, Led Zeppelin, and Del the Funky Homosapien.

Just fucking think for a second and realize that being a hipster isn't going to get you liked more or laid. Just think about how your actions have reactions and you can support shit or support real rpgs. If you would rather support shit what the fuck are you doing on an rpg game site?
You are such an idiot, Jesus. What a pretentious post. You are going to tell people what to enjoy in games? Herpderp, Noone cares about music in games because there are fucking Mozart tracks out there. And fuck graphics, there are more beautiful pictures in at galleries. Herpderp, there is only game play to care about.

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Do they say anywhere that it's an RPG? Bastion wasn't an RPG, Transistor is not very RPGlike...
They do
Pyre is a party-based RPG

Ah, fair enough. Then again, this is "What is an RPG." all over again. You play a group of characters, change stats and abilities and make choices in a story...
It's sad we get these tirades about a game which looks genuinely interesting - everything from the combat looking like a sports match of some kind, to the setting and story and the art style. These devs at least make games which are different, both from everything else and from each other.

There's nothing wrong with preferring the same old "save the world o chosen one, here's some elves and dwarves and TBC". But shitting on other games you don't enjoy, just because some people like them? Pathetic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom