Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://www.altchar.com/head-shots/546811/why-bj-blazkowicz-has-no-business-being-in-quake-champions
BJ Blazkowicz's presence in Quake Champions is a cross-promotion stunt, no doubt about it. This says a great deal about the way ZeniMax and Bethesda treat the various IPs under their corporate umbrella. Why not add a Vault Tech themed deck to Elder Scrolls Legends while you are at it?

Very few people enjoy seeing product placement in movies. When I say very few, I actually mean marketing experts, and barely anyone else. Cross-promotions are quite similar to product placement in many ways and games have a huge potential for such manoeuvres.

It is no accident that Wolfenstein's BJ Blazkowicz was announced as a playable champion for the latest Quake game around the same time a Wolfenstein sequel - The New Colossus, was confirmed by Bethesda. Both Quake and Wolfenstein belong to to the same publisher, so they can cross-breed the two IPs as much as they want.

There is a slight problem with this however, and it can be broken down into two parts - aesthetic or tonal consistency in terms of visual design, and the mechanical implications of adding a playable character with marketing as the chief motivator.

4610_gaspgaspgasp_f7a47324924cbeaa97dd7e23480829e2.gif

Quake Champions - Oh yeah, baby! Gasp at me all promo like!

I've played about an hour's worth of Quake Champions before I decided that my framerate wasn't good enough, fiddled with some settings, and failed to start the game after that. I decided not to bother with it anymore until the game is out of beta, but one thing did strike me as particularly odd during that hour.

The new champions added in the attempt to make Quake a more marketable and profitable affair, in line with competing shooters like Overwatch, just don't look or feel like Quake characters from the Arena game. This isn't just me not liking something because it's new, especially since I don't think that the current design team has managed to nail Sorlag's look either, and he is from the old roster.

But have a look for yourself, and let me know if and why you think these new models fit with the general Quake aesthetic.

4608_q1left_e8a4cc8e81b12d7a56f7213cf0a1cc9c.jpg

Quake Champions - Anarki (left) and Nyx (right)

If I had to describe what is actually wrong with the new additions, I can only vaguely say that they look as if they jumped in from another game. They lack the worn and gritty feel of the original designs, the lines are to clear and clean. It's not Quake, it's just wrong.

4609_q2leftt_1d43698e4ef30f25d0e84cb477b11251.jpg

Quake Champions - Visor (left) and Scalebearer (right)

I do fully understand that grater visual variety is necessary, since the new champions not only look but also play differently, as opposed to Q3, and also represent different opponents within the arenas based on the newly added skill system, but still - they don't look like Quake characters and functionality considerations in design should not be an excuse. Especially when it's id Software doing the designing.

4611_blazowski_a526b647bc63d2e879eca5677a24e439.jpg

Quake Champions - Mr. BJ

Blazkowicz suffers from the same problem, and he will just look like an out of place milkfaced joke, especially once the 90's cigar smoking badass testosterone factory that is Sarge inevitably joins the roster. Unless he gets a watering down similar to the one that Sorlag received.

The other thing that is troublesome are the mechanical implications of adding a champion for marketing reasons. First off, you have to make sure the new character will be actually appealing to play, especially when he looks totally out of place in the game and the novelty of his presence will wear of rapidly. Since you can't make him look appealing, because if you could, you would have already done it with your newly invented additions, you will just have to make sure players have good cause to play him for mechanical reasons.

So, regenerating health and dual-wielding, really? That's the best you could come up with?

Adding dual-wield to a game that was so competitive it drove players to abuse the movement mechanics so much that they replaced running with bunny-hopping entirely just to get an edge, doesn't seem like a smart move. Unless you want n00blets to use him the most, since dual-wielding seems like a no-brainer from that perspective. But wouldn't that make BJ look like total wuss in most matches, because new players would flock to the champion en masse? Only to get fragged to hell and back by a more experienced or skilled competition.

4612_doomguy_523860fd166f632d78c42c3ceab2fd12.jpg

Doom Guy - Hey folks, my multiplayer was crap. Mind if I squat here for a bit? Alright, GG.

What about balance, when Doom Guy, The Brotherhood of Steel, Sebastian Castellanosa, and Pete forbid The Dragonborn enter the arena - should Bethesda choose to pursue this marketing logic all the way to its extreme?

I know all of this might seem terribly nitpicky, but it's supposed to be. This is Quake we are talking about here. If I wanted a committee approved, designed by numbers multiplayer arena shooter - I would go play Overwatch. If Doom is the Heavy Metal of first-person shooters, then Quake 3: Arena is Punk at its purest expression in FPS form. It's fast, colourful, gritty, crazy and unapologetic in its youthful vitality.

4613_quake_iii_arena___slash_by_twistedwellart_db44e52_327a9989695b67fa17a269c737609bbe.jpg

Quake 3: Arena - Slash fan art

The moment you start bending it over a fence in preparation to serve some corporate agenda, the experience is diminished, the tone broken and the magic lost. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for what passes for a mosh pit in today's FPS arenas.

abija

Prophet
They should remove debug stuff from beta until qualifiers are done, but that would make way too much sense.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Suck it UT, we air-dashing now. Seems like a reasonable movement passive for a beginner chump. I'm guessing Clutch no longer sucks?

Sentinel

Arcane
his hitbox/model are still fuckhuge so hitting him in the face with rockets isn't all that difficult
He's ok instead of pure trash now I guess.

abija

Prophet
It's all good they fixed rockets: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/155228286

If they really want to get money anytime soon from this game they should focus all their development on making it run smooth on whatever potato is average gaming rig on steam lists atm. Doesn't help that apparently the guys making models and maps seem to target high res renders and not video games.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's pretty clear that this game isn't a serious effort at all and is just an eSports cash grab that's going to die off rather quickly.

Venser

Erudite
Game is moving from beta to early access (ughh)
Players who already have or claim their closed beta accounts will be able to play the free version, others will have to buy the 29.99$ (25% off of later retail price) Champions pack to play.
Quake Champions’ free-to-play version will launch at a later date.

New champion Doom Slayer

• Two New Maps: Church of Azathoth and Tempest Shrine
  • Rune Challenges: Players will be reward for completing new Rune Challenges found in Backpacks
  • Lore System: Players will find Lore Items hidden throughout Arenas in vases. By collecting all 10 Lore Items for a specific Champion, they will unlock that Champion’s high-end Lore Skin.
  • Improved New Player Onboarding: New features to help get fresh fraggers up to speed include a movement tutorial, shooting gallery and the ability to choose a skill level
  • New Customization Options: New options include new Champion skin sets and weapon shaders
  • In-Game Voice Chat
https://bethesda.net/en/article/TjBBCfxxymoAECG06kwaq/quake-champions-early-access

Venser

Erudite
New confirmed features from the stream:

• More lore including champions rivalries and collectible lore items (from breakable pots)
  • Tutorials, beginner levels that teach you basics, items and weapons
  • You don't leave the match after it ends, you get send to pillars lobby
  • Specific challenges for each Champion that you earn and unlock specific exclusive customization options for them
  • Exclusive QuakeCon lightning gun skin that you can get only if you play during QuakeCon. It's free
  • New duel map is coming soon (fast with a lot of verticality)
  • Anarki, Nyx and Slash are getting bigger hitboxes
  • CTF is heavily considered and they would love to add it later on
  • Rockets should be fixed
  • Doom Slayer won't speak
  • No plans for offline bots due to security reasons
  • New crosshairs
  • Vulkan is being worked on, but no ETA given
  • Maxfps setting is coming
  • Community maps not coming any time soon
VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/167956837

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom