Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

Venser

Erudite
Rapha vs Evil QuakeCon final was amazing. Crazy comebacks, 9 overtimes on second map, probably the best QuakeCon finals in history.

This was crazy: https://youtu.be/8--FybgMgto?t=46m9s

thesoup

Arcane
This is key to understanding quake live

Great video showing how competitive arena shooters work.

Rapha playing that long out of control on Elder without the key was insane. The map is hideously skewed in favor of the player with the key, so many people won't understand just how difficult it was for him to remain in the game that long.

Another top game of all time with out of control management:

thesoup

Arcane
Playing 4 minutes out of control vs the biggest control freak ever, cooller, and winning is quite the feat.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Will fail spectacularly.
Modern casual audiences wont into heavy skillbased arena shooters. Its too skillbased.

Counter Strike is interesting because being a noob, its still playable - you get a drop on someone from behind -> you win. In even that Quake? No...
You are underestimating the power of free for all deathmatch.
There isn't a place more vile and ridden with scum and villainy then FFA Deathamatch.
People forget that the big Call of Duty call to fame is appropriating a pittance of that shitfest.

And now with "hero" abilities that shitstorm would be never before fathomable.

In other words its going to be popular as fuck and its not going to be because of old quake oldfags or "pros"titutes.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
CPMA movement skill ceiling is higher than everything any UT has to offer.
Theres a reason nobody ever cared about UT @ e-sports, its literally babbys first semi-fast fps.....

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Theres a reason nobody ever cared about UT @ e-sports, its literally babbys first semi-fast fps.....
UT players = have fun
Q3 players = talk about skill ceiling and e-sports (tm)

I guess it's all you have when you decide to shun UT for a drab, boring equivalent.

abija

Prophet
UT has higher skill cap than quake which is not necesarily a good thing for popularity. And both series failed at esport because id and epic gave 0 fucks.

Perkel

Arcane

Also lel about Q3 movement being superior somehow to UT movement. Lack of dodge alone makes it worse.

Epic didn't really care about UT in esports which is why they just released it and gone into something else while ID supported Q3 through they years but q3 e-sports were mainly a thing due to Q3 franchize size rather than game itself which is similar how every esport works.
esport literally works on who is more popular not on who is better.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
UT games have comparatively shit bunnyhopping, though, from what I can recall. I'm not good at any of the techniques, but bunnyhopping is simply so much fun and easily preferable to jumpy dodge and double jump moves and stuff imho.

abija

Prophet
id didn't support q3. They had 1-2 guys help a bit the modders and add some maps, that was the extent of it. Carmack was annoyed the community is too demanding while he wanted to play with shadows in the new engine.
Then they didn't take QLive seriously either, threw it to some interns.

thesoup

Arcane
UT games have comparatively shit bunnyhopping, though, from what I can recall. I'm not good at any of the techniques, but bunnyhopping is simply so much fun and easily preferable to jumpy dodge and double jump moves and stuff imho.
Warsow movement > quake movement, imo.
UT isn't about bunnyhipping as there is no way to accelerate and keep (increasing the) momentum. If you just jump while moving you look like an idiot. However, since 2k3 trickjumps are possible, depending on the game, and they're mostly about shortcutting it from point A to B rather than moving faster from point A to B.

Example video in ut4:

Actually, if QC had a modding support, modders would improve mechanics to be CPMA-like and remove that skills bullshit from hero shooters. That's propably the only way we can achieve decent geam.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Quake is pretty old and so are possibly many of the folks who first played it 'back in the day', including me.

I'm kind of hoping that they slow it down a bit and maybe make it easy to hook up a console controller thing in my living room. I'd like to kick back on the couch and show my 'other' and her grandson how we did it back then but without all of the crazy shooting and jumping and stuff.

Here's answer for my previous proposal:

https://www.finder.com.au/no-snapmap-or-mod-support-for-quake-champions

The popular modding mode for Doom will not be making its way to Quake Champions, nor will modding in general, says creative-director Tim Willits.
We recently brought you the surprise news (at least to me, anyway) that Quake Champions, the just-announced sequel by legendary developer id Software, is not built on the studio’s own Id Tech 6 Engine. As a result many of the features running nicely with Doom, such as virtual reality and also Vulkan API compatibility, will not be easily included in Quake Champions. You

can add one more feature to the list: SnapMap. During our extensive chat with Quake Champions creative-director, Tim Willits, at QuakeCon, he had this to say on the subject:

Some of my fondest memories of Quake include mods like Team Fortress; will you be engaging the mod community again with Quake Champions?
The mod community is very important to us, but we won’t have SnapMap because Quake Champions isn’t built on Id Tech 6. We have no plans to allow modifications when the game initially comes out, but we know it is important so we will look into it. But anything that happens will be after Quake Champions comes out; mod support will not be available for launch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom