Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It's iconic and easy to hear.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Among the hardened warriors and alien conquerors inhabiting the Dreamlands, Anarki sticks out like a sore thumb. It’s tough to keep up with the transhuman punk when he’s blazing trails around the Arena on his hoverboard, but his speed is just one of the things that allow him to stand on the same level as Champions like Nyx and Scalebearer. Anarki is one of the Champions you’ll be able to try out during the upcoming Closed Beta, which will begin on Thursday, April 6 with an initial group of testers. More players will be added into the Closed Beta over time, so make sure to sign up now. You can see Anarki in action in our latest profile trailer.

It’s a tale as old as time. Boy gets addicted to surgery. Boy begins to perceive a surreal dream world. Boy meets girl.

Maybe that’s not the standard romantic tale, but it’s Anarki’s story. After spending much of his rebellious youth in a haze of self-vandalism, Anarki discovered the joys of cybernetic surgery. His fixation on transhumanism took hold, and piece-by-piece he changed himself, believing life would be better if he could just be less human. Why tolerate human weaknesses if he could replace everything dragging him down? The surgeries continued and grew more and more extreme, until one surgery pierced his pineal gland, opening his mind to a strange alien reality he had never seen before.

Anarki chased this reality like a new high and sought out more dangerous procedures, each of which strengthened his ability to perceive this other realm. That’s when he met a girl who could see this place, too. Together, they were sure they could reach it, and for better or worse, they eventually did. The pair found themselves in the Dreamlands, where Champions from the waking realm are forced to battle each other for eternity in twisted and ancient Arenas.

ACTIVE ABILITY – Health Injection
Anarki is a firm believer in performance enhancement – anything that will give him an edge over his opponents. Should you find yourself running low on health, you can trigger Anarki’s active ability to get you back in the game. Every time you use Anarki’s Health Injection ability, you add a little more to your max health. Anarki will retain this boost ever after death.

PASSIVE ABILITY – Hoverboard Air Control
Thanks to his Hoverboard Air Control passive ability, Anarki actually gains more speed than the other Champions as he strafe-jumps around the Arena, turning him from a speed demon into a speed God. This passive ability also gives you more control over his movement, allowing you turn sharply mid-air and rapidly change direction.

YEAH, WHO WON THAT LOTTERY?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Rare picture of Quake Chumpions' Anarki.
VAeA885.jpg

Durandal

Arcane

Bethesda releases some footage that isn't embarrassingly staged for once.
Instead we find out that nuDOOM's terrible sense of positional audio design has found its way to Quake Champions as well, where everything sounds like its being played through a filter as if you recently heard a loud explosion, and I can't hear what the fuck is going on around the player.

I doubt we could see a frag like this happening in QC given how nearly every sound effect has an overpowering reverberation effect which even makes weapon firing sounds sound puny. It's just such a fucking mess. Quake 3 had such clean sound.

Astral Rag

Arcane
The announcer sounds like he's overdosing on Alprazolam. Characters sound annoying as hell as well.

And of course there are visual timers and damage indicators.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane

Bethesda releases some footage that isn't embarrassingly staged for once.
Instead we find out that nuDOOM's terrible sense of positional audio design has found its way to Quake Champions as well, where everything sounds like its being played through a filter as if you recently heard a loud explosion, and I can't hear what the fuck is going on around the player.

I doubt we could see a frag like this happening in QC given how nearly every sound effect has an overpowering reverberation effect which even makes weapon firing sounds sound puny. It's just such a fucking mess. Quake 3 had such clean sound.

It's coming from the idea that bassy reverb makes weapons sound big and powerful. But it totally disrupts the clean audio design that's part of what makes Quake's weapons so fun and natural to use. Everything just sounds like it's underwater to me.

Also, yeah, the announcer and character voices are terrible.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Beta is out and I didn't get a key :negative:

EDIT: Nevermind got a key will report back later if it's shit or not :positive:

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane

Yuri Lowenthal brings his girlfriend...

It's obvious that the footage is p. good when you see local edgetards complaining about sound/weapon design of all possible things.
Pleasantly surprised it looks this good tbh.
There's not much about the footage itself to tear apart when most of the gameplay seems overly identical to Q3A aside from the class additions, which I believe are an inherent cancer due to IMO unnecessary stat differences between champions and the Ultimate Fuck You nature of the active skills, and I believe that point has already been talked to death. Though the core appears to be serviceable, there are no signs of worthwhile improvements or changes that justify Champions' existence as a new Quake game to the point where its a worthwhile alternative over Q3A/CPMA/any other AFPS out there, other than a guaranteed sizeable playerbase (of noobs) and the class cancer, if that's what you're into.

While Q3A's core gameplay can largely be replicated as we've seen with the zillion other unpopulated arena shooters whose main cause of death is attributed to their similarity to Q3A, there's still that everything else that an arena FPS requires to be fully functional, and it's all those little things which add up and end up determining the game's overall quality. In Champions' case, the direction for the audio must've been 'make it sound cool' as opposed to 'make it functional'. Any shit-for-brains who understood why Quake worked the way it did knew that sound played an important role in determining the opponent's position and gathering information. The complete disregard for that aspect by slapping bassy reverbs on top of every sound only shows that id's sense of direction for QC is a questionable one, if the pollution through statistical restrictions and trump cards wasn't already an indication.

I don't even mind the idea of abilities in Quake, but my main issue with them is that they're too centered on fragging players through various one-sided means as opposed to allowing a higher degree of mindgames which play on existing mechanics, like a device which prevents items spawning in its vicinity for until the player who set it dies or an ability which despawns all items. Of course, such abilities would only be best used in Duel where item control is more important, as opposed to Deathmatch where your average player won't last any longer than a fruitfly, so any ability some newbie gets to toy around with should be able to get him one frag at least before he dies again.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
It either gives you an error after waiting 5 minutes in the queue or the game doesn't even start and has a black screen and I had to set the launcher to run in windows vista compatibility mode to even start up properly. It's like I'm really playing a Bethesda game.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Okay after finally being able to play I can say it's not too bad but I would still rather play QL over it. Strafe jumping as well as bunny hopping is a lot easier than previous games and abilities aren't that big of a deal since only DM and TDM are available. Some things I dislike are no grenade launchers, railgun does 100 damage instead of 80 if you zoom in, there's a second long delay whenever firing the rocket launcher which just makes it feel weird. There's no speed cap from what I've noticed and you have to rent characters other than ranger for a day to be able to use them. Iit might just be me but airstrafing feels off compared to QW/CPMA. I've only played Blood Covenant and one of the new maps and I don't like how they redesigned Blood Covenant. Also you have to wait like 5 seconds to respawn after death :argh:

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
the gameplay looks ok I just can't wait for this art direction to fucking die already, every game looks like cartoon vomit these days

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Yeah Q3 is more visually appealing to me but hey at least it has blood and gore. The one second delay whenever firing the rocket launcher needs to go ASAP.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Gameplay isn't catastrophic I guess, however I do wonder, how did they manage to make Anarki, a once cool character, into a more annoying version of Junkrat from Overshit. I mean, you can't even play without having to listen constant irritable comments such as, yeah, huh, take that, nyah, sup bro, wehehe. And looks like most characters went through this change. Somebody should rape their art lead.

What's obvious is somebody wants a piece of that Overwatch cake so desperately, that he didn't mind reducing Quake to infantile silliness visually.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
After playing the game a bit more what will make or break this game is whether or not they fix the horrible clientside hit detection. BRs with 200 ping will get top score all the time because they teleport all over the place and you can't hit them. You can turn off the annoying comments but they usually telegraph when characters use abilities or things like that and it turns off the announcer as well.

Also weapon skins replace the sounds with the classic ones. https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1491765876973.webm

Last edited:

thesoup

Arcane
Didn't get into beta despite signing up with 20 emails lol.
The trick is to beg Zero4 on discord. I's how I got mine so I'll try it out this weekend. My UT buddies said it was not bad and the abilities are as good as unnoticeable.

But holy shit is the bethesda launcher a steaming pile of GRIDS.

Durandal

Arcane

Shield on! Clutch, the awakened automaton, joins the battle as the latest Champion out for blood in Quake Champions. Built initially as a mining robot, Clutch was altered into an organic killing machine after a network malfunction during a routine data transfer. Now its only mission is to destroy all signs of life within the Arenas.

Active Ability: Barrier

Clutch can block incoming attacks with its Barrier active ability. Its large force-shield once was used to protect itself from organics and drills when mining, but in the Arena, it works as a solid defense against enemy Champions.

Passive Ability: Still Defense

Don’t be too hasty when trying to attack Clutch head on. Built to withstand the toughest of mining conditions, Clutch will stand strong using its Still Defense passive ability to deflect attacks like a boulder.

:what:

Would anyone enjoy having an opponent raise a sudden FUCK YOU shield which even lets him use his weapons at the same time? What the fuck does that passive ability description even mean? From the trailer we saw it straight up nullified (or reduced the damage of) Scalebearer's Bullrush, so much for :balance:

Not to mention whose bright idea it was to introduce a character with a slow movement speed in a Quake game. Going fast is essential for item control and outmaneuvering your opponent, it's not a matter up for debate. This kind of gimping puts you at a massive disadvantage, where active abilities are unlikely to make up for it given their rather large cooldowns. Mark my words, no comp player will use this pile of junk, only noobs seeking cheap kills will.
Clutch? More like Crutch.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
I played against him in the beta and he's trash his shield isn't even very good and his hitboxes are huge. The characters that dominated the beta were Anarki, Slash, Ranger, and Galena.

Durandal

Arcane
I played against him in the beta and he's trash his shield isn't even very good and his hitboxes are huge. The characters that dominated the beta were Anarki, Slash, Ranger, and Galena.
Does the barrier fully protect him or only from his front?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom