Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Quake Live full Steam transition

Venser

Erudite
http://store.steampowered.com/app/282440/

From now on Quake Live is no longer free to play. They discontinued the stand alone launcher and now it's a Steam exclusive. It's available for €9.99. If you had a pro subscription, you can request a Steam key for free. Final update brought some improvements like better interface, improved spectator features, LAN support (finally!), voice chat and more but the developers (it was just 2 guys working on the game lol) are completely dropping the support for the game. No more updates :(

The worst thing about the Steam transition is that services like http://qlranks.com/ won't work anymore.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://store.steampowered.com/app/282440/

From now on Quake Live is no longer free to play. They discontinued the stand alone launcher and now it's a Steam exclusive. It's available for €9.99. If you had a pro subscription, you can request a Steam key for free. Final update brought some improvements like better interface, improved spectator features, LAN support (finally!), voice chat and more but the developers (it was just 2 guys working on the game lol) are completely dropping the support for the game. No more updates :(

Where's the part about dropping support?

Venser

Erudite
Where's the part about dropping support?

Sync said it numerous times in Twitch chat. They are "giving the game to the community", most of the servers will shut down and people can host their own. Steamworks is also available now.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
QL has nothing on Q3 anyway, so no big loss. The only thing that the former really had going for it was the f2p model, but the lack of mods, user made maps, server locations and general customisability meant it was eventually going to go down this road anyway. Well there's the whole "playable in browser" thing too; bit of a shame that they didn't fully capitalise on that.

Besides CPMA > VQ3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> QL +M

Astral Rag

Arcane
Quake: lol

Also, there is a PLANNED UPDATE that will get rid of loadouts, add blood and the removed maps back to the game, as well as giving the community servertools

Hmmm, why don't they just delete this weak Q3 clone instead.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Oh yeah, let's join those 17 guys who still play CPMA. Oh wait, they moved to Reflex :troll:

I wasn't even bringing community into the equation lel, but whatever floats your boat

Dalek

Novice
Fuck them, lost all my profile and stats. And hard gained achievements too.
Sadly I'm still addicted, reflex is not quite ready yet, and UT instant kill my PC. I really hope they at least add gibs.

Venser

Erudite
So there is no more real reason to play this over Q3 ?

The main reason is playerbase but there are improvements over Q3 and honestly I prefer QL. It's weird to go back to Q3 and play dm13 without chain jumping (don't confuse with autohop which can be turned off in options). The gameplay just flows better. Promode is another matter entirely and even tho it's fun, I prefer the more tactical play of VQ3.

PSIgVGD.jpg

Tehdagah

Arcane
The main reason is playerbase but there are improvements over Q3 and honestly I prefer QL. It's weird to go back to Q3 and play dm13 without chain jumping (don't confuse with autohop which can be turned off in options). The gameplay just flows better. Promode is another matter entirely and even tho it's fun, I prefer the more tactical play of VQ3.

PSIgVGD.jpg
Is Quake Live still good after that upgrade? I still need to give it a try.

Venser

Erudite
Is Quake Live still good after that upgrade? I still need to give it a try.

Yes but now it will cost you. Shit introduced in the infamous update (loadouts, item timers and autohop) is optional and less and less servers will be running it now.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Yes but now it will cost you. Shit introduced in the infamous update (loadouts, item timers and autohop) is optional and less and less servers will be running it now.
Are all the levels unlocked now?

Disgruntled

Savant
Thats a shame, its my goto arena shooter but I was surprised it stayed alive this long anyway.
Maybe ill try and get good at the new Unreal Tournament though its not as fast paced.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So I tried installing and playing this on steam and somehow compatibility is fucked so bad that:
  • Game was zoomed in so I could only see top left quarter of the screen
  • Fixed that, then no ultrawide support (I guess?) so I had lovely giant black bars on the top and bottom of screen
  • Tried to load a map -> game crashed, auto-uninstalled itself, crashed steam, logged me out of steam, and somehow reset all of my steam settings??
wtf did they do to accomplish this holy crap

Venser

Erudite
Ultrawide support? Ha! Real Quakers play on 4:3

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom