Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Quest For Glory

Norfleet

Hectic? At that point it's actually pretty boring. You have nothing to do but sleep in the inn and wait for events.
Maybe for you. When I was playing this, I encountered this game as an RPG, and came from QFG1, back when it was called "Hero's Quest", where there wasn't any particular timetable you had to be on. So, you know, imagine that you have all those skills to be maxing, and a ticking clock to do it under. Stuff to kil, places you have to be at specific timesl, etc. Yeah, back then I thought the game was pretty hectic.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So to get the "Full" QFG experience I had some questions. As I plan on playing all games with all 3 classes:

I had my fighter become a Paladin. Is it even worthwhile to now have to create a separate non paladin fighter for future walkthroughs?

I *think* the mage can became a paladin as well? Should I just have my mage be a bit less virtuous and stay a pure "mage"?

I do not plan on having my thief a Paladin. And I don't think they can.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure (herp) that being a Paladin only adds certain puzzles / scenes / solutions in some places to what is a normal fighter playthrough. I can't honestly recall any fighter-ONLY parts.

As for the others, I'd suggest if you're going with a wizard stay a wizard and with a thief stay a thief. These puzzles are distinctive and once you've seen the paladin bits in your fighter route there's no reason to see them again. Also, I'd imagine that some thief parts would make it hard to keep your Honor high. This is speculative, though, as I've never played a Paladin who actively used his thief skills.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure (herp) that being a Paladin only adds certain puzzles / scenes / solutions in some places to what is a normal fighter playthrough. I can't honestly recall any fighter-ONLY parts.

As for the others, I'd suggest if you're going with a wizard stay a wizard and with a thief stay a thief. These puzzles are distinctive and once you've seen the paladin bits in your fighter route there's no reason to see them again. Also, I'd imagine that some thief parts would make it hard to keep your Honor high. This is speculative, though, as I've never played a Paladin who actively used his thief skills.

OK thanks sir. :salute:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Oh, and in the remake you can't play magical maze (or whatever it's called, I kinda forgot) unless you started as a wizard

Not sure if you're talking about the magic game in QFG2 (since you were talking about QFG2 before), but in the remake to it you can play the magic game if you've the spells for it, wizard or not.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Not sure if you're talking about the magic game in QFG2 (since you were talking about QFG2 before), but in the remake to it you can play the magic game if you've the spells for it, wizard or not.

I was talking about fan-made remake of QfG 2 - I dunno, in my playthrough as a thief with wizardry skills (going into paladin at the end, obviously), I could play only in force missile flurry. While I did become a certified wizard, Aziza didn't offer me to play with her.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

I was talking about fan-made remake of QfG 2 - I dunno, in my playthrough as a thief with wizardry skills (going into paladin at the end, obviously), I could play only in force missile flurry. While I did become a certified wizard, Aziza didn't offer me to play with her.

Ohh, I was actually referring to Keapon's force bolt game. Haven't tried the other one (which I didn't remember).

Norfleet

So to get the "Full" QFG experience I had some questions. As I plan on playing all games with all 3 classes:

I had my fighter become a Paladin. Is it even worthwhile to now have to create a separate non paladin fighter for future walkthroughs?

I *think* the mage can became a paladin as well? Should I just have my mage be a bit less virtuous and stay a pure "mage"?

The Full Experience is a Wizard-Paladin with Thief skills. A second playthrough will cover pure-thiefliness, probably as a mage-thief, since while it is possible to be a wizard-paladin with thief skills, you will not really get to experience much of the thief content as a paladin. So basically, there's two routes: The "pure" route played with high honor, and the dirty route, played as a thief.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OH FFS My Mage is now a Paladin.

:x
Fuck. In reading the intarwebz, I think If I re-load and kill the griffon I can possibly avoid this unwanted fate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OH FFS My Mage is now a Paladin.

:x
Fuck. In reading the intarwebz, I think If I re-load and kill the griffon I can possibly avoid this unwanted fate.

Relax, when you import him to the next game you can convert him back to a mage.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not really. I mean it might be fun to try some dickish things like killing the EOF fighter and Kaveen and so on, but the fighter doesn't have anything extra that the Paladin doesn't get. Also, the fighter has a bug when importing into 5 that irreversibly converts him into a mage.

As you found it he can. Though I thought you get asked at the end of QFG2... might've been something they added in the remake. Anyway a good way to avoid turning is to do some of the slightly dickish things like returning Omar's purse after taking his money. Speaking of mage, I hope you bought a LOT of mana and health pills, because they are expensive in 3.

They can actually, but it involves not doing thievish things in QFG2, so there's little point really. It's clear from the next games that it's the Fighter that's meant to convert. Though be advised that due to having a magic score >0 the Paladin will start getting things that only the mage should get, like a bugged QFG3 intro and some spells in QFG4. One of these you will need to use. Do NOT use the others. Do NOT use any magic unless you absolutely have to, as a Paladin. If you keep your magic score low enough QFG5 will fix this and remove it back to zero, otherwise you Paladin will import into 5 with his magic score and suddenly gain like half of the mage spells. Not fun if you're trying to keep it pure.

The Full Experience is a Wizard-Paladin with Thief skills.
No, that's the munchkin experience. You'll also miss out on mage-specific MQ events due to being a paladin as far as the game is concerned, and some of these are very very worth it (like the shaman duel).

Erebus

Arcane
All in all, I'd say that wizard is the most interesting class in QfG 3. The warrior has some interesting stuff, but there's too much repetitive training. And the thief doesn't have much that's specific to him.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fighter's always been the most boring option. I'm just happy that QfG1 VGA remake allows me to outrun the cave troll.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's actually one or two (very) minor things a Fighter can do that a Paladin can't, in the fourth game. Raise your hand if you know.

Pope Amole II

Developer
There's actually one or two (very) minor things a Fighter can do that a Paladin can't, in the fourth game. Raise your hand if you know.

I've heard that he can find (and use) a battle axe. Don't know about other one, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I've heard that he can find (and use) a battle axe. Don't know about other one, though.

Correct. :obviously: Where the Paladin finds an uber Paladin longsword, the Fighter finds an axe instead.

He can break the cabinet in the monastery cellar, because he doesn't care about bushido honor.

The cabinet is not in the cellar IIRC, but correct. :obviously:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Did they use a different composer for III? This music is pretty..... un-inspiring so far.

The variation of Jefferson Airplanes - White Rabbit was however brilliant and hysterical (The Apothecary). <3

Pope Amole II

Developer
Did they use a different composer for III? This music is pretty..... un-inspiring so far.

Dunno about composer, but, to be honest, everything is not so inspiring about third part - it is definitely a weakest one amongst original fours (can't talk about fifth one since I was too disgusted by its 3D and apparent disconnected setting - like, you were taken away from Rakeesh & co h in the end of the third part, and the events of the fourth one took somewhere about a month, yet when you meet him in fifth, almost immediately after the end of the fourth, he's all old & greymane & has a grown-up kid... WTF???) and that's not surprising, considering that original authors were not even planning to do it the way it was done.

I won't say that there are no bright spots in it, but, gameplay-wise, it's the narrowest one out of them all (meaning that all classes are confined to their options and no multi-classing rewards are available), there's way too little side-content (especially for thief - I understand that it's a freaking pseudo-africa we're talking about and there's not much thieving work to be done in the savannah, but still) and there are some really, really stupid moments, like having casual sex with that stupid werejaguar chick - I mean, WTF, I'm a freaking paladin who even abstained from looking at some pixellated boobies through the magical glasses (and mind you, those boobies were white, well, sand-white), yet here I easily engage in promiscuity with some black whore? How the fuck am I going explain this to Erana (later, obviously)?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's kind of sad about QFG3. It's obvious that a lot of love went into the game's setting. There's a lot to read - the NPCs have new things to say every day, and there are often entirely new NPCs to talk to in the evenings. My favorite subplot is when you meet the demon-haunted ambassador at the Tarna inn - that's something that you can totally miss if you spend all your time bushwhacking out in the savannah.

But ultimately, yeah, there's just not enough content there. The framework for a great game was there, but not enough interesting things to do in it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Dunno about composer, but, to be honest, everything is not so inspiring about third part - it is definitely a weakest one amongst original fours (can't talk about fifth one since I was too disgusted by its 3D and apparent disconnected setting - like, you were taken away from Rakeesh & co h in the end of the third part, and the events of the fourth one took somewhere about a month, yet when you meet him in fifth, almost immediately after the end of the fourth, he's all old & greymane & has a grown-up kid... WTF???) and that's not surprising, considering that original authors were not even planning to do it the way it was done.

I won't say that there are no bright spots in it, but, gameplay-wise, it's the narrowest one out of them all (meaning that all classes are confined to their options and no multi-classing rewards are available), there's way too little side-content (especially for thief - I understand that it's a freaking pseudo-africa we're talking about and there's not much thieving work to be done in the savannah, but still) and there are some really, really stupid moments, like having casual sex with that stupid werejaguar chick - I mean, WTF, I'm a freaking paladin who even abstained from looking at some pixellated boobies through the magical glasses (and mind you, those boobies were white, well, sand-white), yet here I easily engage in promiscuity with some black whore? How the fuck am I going explain this to Erana (later, obviously)?

:lol:

Allrigty then. I'll keep trudging through. This does feel very un-inspired. I wonder if a different team worked on it, something feels off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom