Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Quest For Infamy - A Quest for Glory-like Indie Adventure Game

Slow James

Savant
Voted! Excellent game, just beat my first play through last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just to be sure I didn't miss anything, the 1.1 patch is not out yet correct? I've just been waiting for that.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nope. I am actually programming on it in another window. We're recording a few more lines and brushing up some code and minor bugs we found in the beta. Still tweaking it. You can get beta access on Steam if you use it. If you want to play/test the beta for 1.1, let me know. We're trying to get it out soon, but I wanna make sure everything's done right.

Bt

Slow James

Savant
Also, for the next four hours, QFI is on sale at GoG for 70% off. It's on the front page. If you wanted to pick it up for a few sheckles, now is your chance. www.gog.com

Bt

I would be a little ticked I waited to pick this up until last week and just missed the 70% sale... but I'm happy to pay full price and give you guys money. If you all made a dozen more games like this, you'd have me as a customer paying full price twelve more times (thirteen if it was a baker's dozen).

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Also, for the next four hours, QFI is on sale at GoG for 70% off. It's on the front page. If you wanted to pick it up for a few sheckles, now is your chance. www.gog.com

Bt

I would be a little ticked I waited to pick this up until last week and just missed the 70% sale... but I'm happy to pay full price and give you guys money. If you all made a dozen more games like this, you'd have me as a customer paying full price twelve more times (thirteen if it was a baker's dozen).

Thanks, man. I do appreciate and remember that. If you need anything, you let me know.

Bt

Bt

I felt bad about missing the kickstarter for this game, so I too waited to purchase it at full price. Blackthorne and Co. are doing God's work, least I can do is ensure they get all the money they can. :) Have told quite a few people about this game so hopefully that adds even more sales.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Thanks. Really, it's word of mouth that does a game like ours good, so spreading that is awesome. I appreciate it.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
the voiceacting in this game really isn't very good isn't it

Some of it I am really very happy with; other bits of it, I am not so happy with. But I like our leads quite a bit. Everyone's mileage will vary with voice-acting, but overall - for an indie project - I think our voice acting is good, and absolutely in the spirit of the game.

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, I think the voice acting for the most part is fine. Some people are just retards, and expect an AAA voice over budget from a very small indie developer.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There is a difference between wanting AAA voiceovers and having voices that still have echo and sound like they've been recorded with a $1 mic in a basement :/

At least it can be turned off.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a difference between wanting AAA voiceovers and having voices that still have echo and sound like they've been recorded with a $1 mic in a basement :/

At least it can be turned off.
Poor quality recordings are different from poor acting.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There are so many variables involved in pulling off good voice work -- the right voice, the environment, the hardware, the post-processing. That QFI could nail Sierra-quality art but still have trouble with having consistently high-quality VO is just the nature of the beast. It brings me back to the old days when The Antioch Chronicles ruled the Starcraft fan-game roost largely based on the strength of its voice work; no matter what design marvels Campaign Creations could pull off, at the end of the day they just didn't have the voices.

For all my bellyaching, I'm grateful that Dave/WEG were able to put together AA quality voice work for Primordia at such bargain prices. I can't imagine he would, but I wonder whether Dave would be willing to basically work as a VO director for an enhanced QFI. He probably has his plate full with other stuff, and it probably wouldn't even be a great idea from Infamous Adventures.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Haha, there's SO many lines and characters in QFI, getting it all together is a nightmare. I wouldn't ever re-record unless someone was footing the bill!! There were like, 60+ NPCs and such in it. Like I said, everyone's mileage, and like Roxor said, he can turn it off.

Bt

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah, the scope is unwieldly. That's what happens when you give people Sierra-level quantity of content. Stick to snack-sized games and four slot inventories and you'd be fine.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hahah, ain't that the truth! QFI's scope is really something huge - and something we always dreamed of doing - and, Dammit, we did it! I don't think we'll ever do something quite as big and sprawling again. But, you know, for making our dream game - we really got to do all of those things we wished we could do in adventure games.

Bt

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I found the voice acting... amusing :P Not really complaining, though. The game is really pretty huge, and I don't care much for VA either way.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
I think the main thing that most people didn't like was the inconsistent sound quality. Some of the acting is a bit amusing, but if the quality were better/more consistent, I think we'd have heard less complaints about it.

Basically, there were some actors who are professional/semi professional, and the quality of the characters which they voiced was fine (for the most part. People have subjective tastes). A number of leads are friends of Bt's, and I'd say most of them are actually good at voice acting as well. The only issue was that we were running up against a deadline, and the studio where Bt meant to record them became unavailable (plus, no available funds to fork out for a more expensive studio). So some of the audio quality really suffered as a result as it wasn't recorded in a place with a good setup. Of the minor characters, many of these were also covered in the live recording sessions.

The narrator's audio quality is also a bit inconsistent because the narrator moved house mid-production! It's not easy to achieve the same setup when that happens, and not really something that could be controlled at the time, given interaction messages were continually being implemented throughout the whole development process (and there are so many lines, we couldn't ask for all of them to be re-recorded again).

If we had tried to get all professional actors with high-end recording equipment and setups to cover all the parts, the QFI budget would probably have been blown extraordinarily out of proportion. So really, Bt did the best he could given the time and money constraints.

For those that want to make comparisons to Heroine's Quest, it wasn't quite the same because HQ was designed with a set number of NPCs, and we had decided that a narrator was not appropriate given the number of custom interaction messages (plus, people were willing to work for free and we had so many auditions, we could choose those with the best equipment). QFI scope was way bigger in that regard.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hahah, ain't that the truth! QFI's scope is really something huge - and something we always dreamed of doing - and, Dammit, we did it! I don't think we'll ever do something quite as big and sprawling again. But, you know, for making our dream game - we really got to do all of those things we wished we could do in adventure games.

Bt
Blackthorne, man, burned my gamming budget on so many games and the pile of games to play got growing and growing and not enough time to play them, every time I open steam, Blackguards, Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2 look like shameless whores to me. It is quite distracting, so... I wanna know Steam is on the winter sale where Quest for Infamy is available for 50% off. So, I have a moral conflict, one part of me say screw this, gonna play now, gonna play now, right on my veins bro but other part says for me to wait until 3 of january to pay your game full price.

Now, are you alive, still living on a decent home and not some hut on Alaska, are your team cooking their boots to eat or something... because... shit... my scrooge mcduck instincts are yelling "It's fucking 50% off you moron, buy it, buy it, BUY IT." to me. So, do you need some extra bucks to prepare for the winter on the adventure game indie developer wasteland and find some nice tree to take a nap?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom