Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Quest For Infamy - A Quest for Glory-like Indie Adventure Game

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I have an extra key from an old bundle. Anyone want it?

Dyskolos

Cipher
I have an extra key from an old bundle. Anyone want it?
I'll happily take it if it's still available. Then when I end up liking it I'll feel bad for not supporting them and gift a copy to someone else to balance it out.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll happily take it if it's still available. Then when I end up liking it I'll feel bad for not supporting them and gift a copy to someone else to balance it out.

Really, at this point, if you like it, tell a friend, grab it in a bundle, pass a key or try one of our upcoming games, later this year! Thanks, and I do hope you like it.

Bt

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Email update:

iGUcAD_bRcy6X8gkCff-sJ-X4NNV0bubR3dRfsVQ-QSdbLvTOiwcyF964AGQb0fu0WyEhN4CmHzdApjzQw4DrwlwTz7qGZklmcqML8aYuXGbKw4cwKGaVOIwQ-e2SUuPWsPEYiuyFROrmNvMiXCT0ROalpXKJqT0Xzn3eh0=s0-d-e1-ft

What’s going on with the folks at Infamous Quests
Hey friends and fans; I just wanted to write a quick blog entry to talk about some of the things we’re working on now! It’s been an exciting time for Infamous Quests – we recently released our second game, The Order of the Thorne: The King’s Challenge and are currently working on several more games!

In the game development queue we have QFI: Roehm to Ruin – the heretofore untold back story of Mr. Roehm’s escape from Baron Brandlevrot and his journey to Volksville. We’re having a lot of fun with this; the game had a fun cast of characters, and you can expect to see the same brand of snark and fun that you expect from Mr. Roehm and company. This is definitely a shorter game than QFI, but let’s be honest – most are going to be.

We’ve been doing a lot of fond reminiscing back on Quest for Infamy – its roots stretching all the way back to 2003, but we first began production on the demo four years ago this month. We would use that demo in out first Kickstarter later that year – I’m so proud of the team that made that happen; 2012 was a special year full of promise, and we all believed in the future of adventure games and Kickstarter. Four years later, it didn’t turn out to be quite the revival we’d all hoped; we’ve released two games now, but sadly, some games funded from back then have failed to materialize. I can tell you from experience – game production is hard. It really is!

The only reason Quest for Infamy was finished was because of the dedication of the team that worked on it! We made this game through sheer will – people worked for reduced rates and/or for free to ensure that the game would get done. We wanted to make the ultimate tribute to the point and click adventures that we loved, and I think we succeeded there. We went far over budget with the game, and ultimately – it did not recoup its total budget. But the game is still finding fans all this time later – almost two years after release. So I understand why so many games fell behind or sadly, fell to the wayside. I definitely miss the enthusiasm that everyone had in 2012. We’re all a little harder, a little jaded – the fans and the devs. But there’s still people making great games out there. It’s an important lesson, for me at least, to remember that things don’t always turn out the way you plan, but things can still turn out all right. I’ve made some great friends in the ensuing years – from fellow devs, artists, programmers et al to the amazing fans who have given their time and effort to supporting us. I’m thankful to that. We’ve lost touch with some people, which is definitely sad, but that’s how life works sometimes.

So, as Shawn and I were discussing Quest for Infamy, we began working on version 2.0 of the game – fixing some nagging bugs and other problems – and we remembered how much fun it was. We’re continuing on with this 2.0 upgrade, and beyond – we’ve got some things going on with QFI that we’ll talk more about in the future, and I can say the excitement is back, at least on some level.

This is carrying over into Roehm to Ruin, which we’re looking at wrapping up here in the next few months. Voices will be recorded soon, and we’re excited to continue on with the story. I’m glad there are fans out there who are interested in it!

Last edited:
Hey, lads, anyone got any more news, or an ETA on that 2.0 update? I've been putting off a second playthrough for a while now, and was wondering if I should wait some more for new content.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hey man - I really don't have a reliable ETA on the 2.0 version, but Shawn (Klytos) and I are working on it currently; we've had a lot going on lately, he just had another kid and he's taking uni courses this semester, and I've been busy with a billion things - but it's being worked on. I can tell you that it is pretty cool - we're not only doing some general clean up and fixing of code, but some graphical tweaks on some things and a change to a wide-screen res (from 4:3) for one. Some gameplay elements have (hopefully) been improved. (For instance, in the intro - when hunting for "The Beast" you only have four screens on which it appears, we're changing that to any "combat ready" screen in the valley around town. Small tweak, but makes it easier to find the damn thing) Our hope is to finish it by years end and release the "Special Edition" simultaneously with the little prequel game, Roehm to Ruin.

Also, I'm still packing up Kickstarter Reward packages and sending them out, and that's taking up an assload of my time, too. But we're really hustling to get the QFI shit done for the new version.

Bt

ushas

Savant
Good to know:salute: I've postponed the playthrough till you are ready with 2.0, will certainly appreciate the work done.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
It's interesting - we're cropping the current art, for the most part, but it's actually all still there in the engine. We've just been coding a "scrolling" mechanism for screens that may need it, so you can see or access the extra 40 pixels. Some screens we did small redraws for, but for the most part, it's cropping. It's a pretty neat feature in theory, and is working well so far - but we did have to redraw some GUIs and such to fit the new res, so we're in the process of that.

Here's some example pics to show how it's done - the viewable area is the color part, the desat/darkened part is still actually in the engine, just not displayed on screen.

QFI-ComparisonScreen1.png

QFI-ComparisonScreen2.png

QFI-ComparisonScreen3.png

Bt

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was always wondering Bt, how do you prefer playing this game? In a small window, so the art is sharp and crisp, or stretched to fullscreen so it is gloriously pixelated?

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I prefer to play it fullscreen, with none of those stupid, shitty filters people seem to love to put on the games. Give me the pixels, bold and crisp, the way the artist intended them. Though when I'm working and testing the game, I play it in a window so I can access other programs while it's running to edit art, write notes about what needs fixing, view the game code, etc.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yep. I don't mind the 4:3 aspect ratio at all, but a lot of people these days want the image to fill up their whole monitor, so the SE gives this option.

Bt

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I prefer to play it fullscreen, with none of those stupid, shitty filters people seem to love to put on the games. Give me the pixels, bold and crisp, the way the artist intended them. Though when I'm working and testing the game, I play it in a window so I can access other programs while it's running to edit art, write notes about what needs fixing, view the game code, etc.

Bt
Thanks. I play it the same way, good to know I'm playing it the "right way". :D

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Just to let anyone know, Quest for Infamy is on sale on Steam right now. You can also vote for it in something called The Steam Awards. Not quite sure what they are, and as QFI has already won illustrious awards like the AGS awards, it'd be fun to add another one to the ole usless trophy case.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264560/

Also, we're working on finishing up Roehm to Ruin, a prequel to Quest for Infamy... and, you heard it here, come hell, highwater or bankruptcy, Quest for Infamy 2 is going to happen. When it happens is definitely up for debate, but we're going to do it. We spent almost 10 years mucking about with the idea for Quest for Infamy before we made it, so we've been here before.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Wait, what? You went from shutting down the studio to QFI2?

Well, basically a skeleton crew will work at Quest for Infamy 2 in our spare time. Most of us are moving on/taking on other full time jobs (or already have) but Shawn and I decided "Fuck it, we want to make it." So we're going with that. Might take a while, but, what the hell else are we going to do? Make a walking simulator?

Bt

Modron

Arcane
Just to let anyone know, Quest for Infamy is on sale on Steam right now. You can also vote for it in something called The Steam Awards. Not quite sure what they are, and as QFI has already won illustrious awards like the AGS awards, it'd be fun to add another one to the ole usless trophy case.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264560/

Also, we're working on finishing up Roehm to Ruin, a prequel to Quest for Infamy... and, you heard it here, come hell, highwater or bankruptcy, Quest for Infamy 2 is going to happen. When it happens is definitely up for debate, but we're going to do it. We spent almost 10 years mucking about with the idea for Quest for Infamy before we made it, so we've been here before.

Bt

You should also point out that The Order of the Thorne is on sale as well:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/425600/

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
You should also point out that The Order of the Thorne is on sale as well:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/425600/

Thanks, you know, I don't like to concentrate all my shilling in one time. I think there's an OotT thread around here too, and I figured I'd eventually post there and talk about the work and some changes we're doing for Fortress of Fire, the sequel.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I know how that goes. My backlog is friggin' SERIOUS these days. But thanks for picking them up, and I hope you enjoy them when you get to 'em.

Bt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom