Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Questions for Chris Avellone radio interview - now updated with additional answers from MCA!

Shevek

Arcane
I can field that one.

"You know those guys at Obsidian are a great bunch. You should Continue to support their stuff. Paul did a great job at <insert stuff here>"

I have never heard MCA speak negatively about any creative work. The only time I have heard him come close to critiquing something is when he is about to append the statement "but.. I was wrong and it turned out amazing".
  • He talks about hating Star Wars.. BUT once he started evaluating and looking at it, he found this deep inner passion for the universe and fell in love with it.
  • He mentions how he was worried about the new Beamdog game that they might take the easy way ou- but wait it's actually amazing!
Has he ever said anything was less than awesome other then his own work?

I love MCA to death but the fact is, this is a public forum and we are just consumers / fans / stalkers at the end of the day. He is not going to share any strong opinions here that could be interpreted as him dogging on fellow employee's or block off future business relationships - so you already know what the response is gonna kinda be. We just hear the same fluff over and over.

I would love to hear his real opinion on these topics after 6 beers at a company dinner or a gaming session at a friends house.

EDIT:
P.S. I am still salty he didn't even acknowledge the question I asked. :argh:
Look up his opinion on romance in crpgs. It is epic.

Don Peste

Arcane
(Don Peste) Favorite D&D modules and Warhammer: We never played any of the Warhammer modules, I wrote my own (I did three "modules," one of which I still think was one of my best work - it was a treasure hunt of epic proportions). I did like the Warhammer modules I read, though, but I liked the campaign books more. As for D&D modules, I loved the Against the Giants series (up until Queen of the Demonweb Pits, which I thought sucked), Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, Village of Hommlet (a classic), and Keep on the Borderlands. We played Cult of the Reptile God and Temple of Elemental Evil (the mega-module) quite a bit, although never finished Temple. I disliked Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and Tomb of Horrors - the latter because I couldn't imagine my own character surviving the experience.
Check this out...

Wasd ‏@Vereiter
@ChrisAvellone You're the amazingest. And must make public your Warhammer modules!! http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?posts/4046737…
Chris Avellone ‏@ChrisAvellone
@Vereiter ha ha ha - I used parts of them for the Nordic talk. Maybe I will (here's a sample of items and maps).
CLHFG-ZUwAAFIA6.jpg

CLHFG-8UkAA1KD6.jpg

roshan

Arcane
but the fact is, this is a public forum and we are just consumers / fans / stalkers at the end of the day. He is not going to share any strong opinions here that could be interpreted as him dogging on fellow employee's or block off future business relationships - so you already know what the response is gonna kinda be. We just hear the same fluff over and over.

This. The truth is that these dev interviews are usually totally useless wastes of time, there is never any real opinion expressed, most replies are just typical PR speak that they've practiced and regurgitated for so many years that it has become ingrained in their personality. Just continuous usage of the diplomacy skill. Have we really learned anyone's opinion of Fallout 3? Tons of ex-Fallout devs out there but it just so randomly happens that each and every one of them is a huge Bethesda fan that can't wait to see in which direction they take the franchise next?

Fairfax

Arcane
This. The truth is that these dev interviews are usually totally useless wastes of time, there is never any real opinion expressed, most replies are just typical PR speak that they've practiced and regurgitated for so many years that it has become ingrained in their personality. Just continuous usage of the diplomacy skill. Have we really learned anyone's opinion of Fallout 3? Tons of ex-Fallout devs out there but it just so randomly happens that each and every one of them is a huge Bethesda fan that can't wait to see in which direction they take the franchise next?
F3's flaws are well documented and explained in many articles and videos, I'm not sure they'd have anything new to say. MrBtongue's videos are fairly popular, for instance, and many who watched it repeat the arguments everywhere, plus the majority opinion everywhere seems to be that FNV is the better game, so why would they bash F3 publicly? If they do that, they won't get the chance to work on the series again, and I think everyone wants that.

Still, Tim Cain did criticize some aspects of F3. Sure, no ex-Fallout mentioned the shitty writing and wrong tone, but that'd be beating a dead, rotten horse.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
I like to imagine all the devs transform into a dark winged crusader on internet forums, lambasting bethesda with the best of them all with the power and grace of anonymity.

Lhynn

Arcane
I like to imagine all the devs transform into a dark winged crusader on internet forums, lambasting bethesda with the best of them all with the power and grace of anonymity.
What do you think the RPG codex is?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom