Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Questions for the Codex interview with Feargus and MCA.

Black

Arcane
The Grimrock games are real time.
You know, they really are. Morning brain fart.
Still, real time and not rtwp :incline:

Fairfax

Arcane
My 2 cents on the questions:

6) I'm not sure you'll get much from him here. He signed up for an origin story, but later said he was doing more and willing to expand his role even further. Being an unreleased game, I doubt he's even allowed to say much.
7) Same here.
9) He's answered similar questions before. You're likely to get the usual response: that indie games are thriving and there are amazing new games everyday, he can't even keep up, etc.
14) He said in the MCA AS that he can't take a full-time job because of personal issues.
15 and 19) Two of the questions that he avoids most often on twitter. I don't believe he'd straight up skip the question face to face, but you'll probably get a very diplomatic answer. Still, who knows. Up to you.

MCA will try to answer as many as he can, but there are some pretty big, deep questions that would take a very long time. I think you should do as felipepe said and focus on the questions you want him to answer the most. This will allow you to get your favourite ones answered with good, detailed answers.
Also, MCA is a bro, he'll probably answer the rest in this thread if you ask nicely.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The questions I would ask are ones that would need to be asked in private, so...

1) When will you grow balls to give your sincere opinion on Fallout 4 and how Bethesda destroyed the franchise?
2) If Bethesda gave you the possibility to make a new Fallout game, would you reintroduce skills and remove the awful dialogue system and voiced protagonist?
3) Do you agree RPGs should be available to everyone and their mother, or should they be a special genre catering to a special few?
4) What is more important to you: money or making a good RPG? You can make the later and still earn money, but would you rather make an awful RPG that will sell like hotcakes and devote your entire life to that formula?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
If I had to take a guess, I'd say that a (small scale) tactical turn-based POE spin-off is only a matter of time. They basically have all the pieces ready (setting, engine, art assets, basic rule set) and would just need to put them into place which should be relatively low-effort. They have people who want to do turn-based and know how to do it, and they have examples of recent successful turn-based games, so they know there is an audience for it.

Chances are that Sawyers historical game for which he presumably will get full creative reign (within budget margins) will be turn-based.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
PoE's ruleset it RTwP to the core - from cooldowns to accuracy & armor stats based around characters performing 4820234234234 attacks per combat... you can't simply turn that into a TB game.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE's ruleset it RTwP to the core - from cooldowns to accuracy & armor stats based around characters performing 4820234234234 attacks per combat... you can't simply turn that into a TB game.

Tim Cain said that you can and that its easy.

Well, to be fair, he was referring to RTwP to TB in general, not specifically to PoEs ruleset.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Point taken, but you have to keep the context and the development history in mind. Crappy hybrid system shoehorned into a game despite heavy time constraints is different from doing a conversion from one system to the other and implementing it.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
How many times per week do you either masturbate or have sex

With a goat

or sheep

Neanderthal

Arcane
Might be an idea to e-mail em a list o questions, see what they can an wanna answer, an prepare their details a bit. Feargs got company, publishers an employees to think about so hes gotta walk tightrope o not pissin anybody off. Then again they might be too busy for correspondence, spontaneous answers might be better, an MCAs ramblins are usually pretty bloody entertainin.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It is better to just prepare a *good* list of solid questions, and then send that off to them and then see what they will answer. That it typically the best way.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Slightly related: have Obsidian said whether Tyranny would be crowdfunded? Seems like it would be.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Jaesun
Yeah, but the point of face to face interviews is to get spontaneous answers (as Neanderthal mentioned), questions by email can be asked any time. When you're face to face you can more easily determine whether they're BS-ing you, especially when you won't give them time to prepare an answer beforehand (either they will tell the truth, refuse to answer or try to weasel out but that last thing can be easily spotted unless one is a very good liar).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Half official version. Still taking questions, requesting feedback. Is it good? What questions should be added and what removed?
Bro, you're not going to get even half of those questions answered, that would take hours. Select a few core questions you really want to ask, then keep the others ready IF there's enough time & goodwill.

Don't listen to these nay sayers.. they are just jealous.

You take that essay of questions and ask each every one of them.. In person.
Don't let them piss, drink water or even stretch. Just batter them down with question after question..

Jedi: What is your favorite RPG?
MCA: Well I Sorta Enjoyed..
Jedi: Cool, So what did you write in DragonSpear?
MCA: I think we are --
Jedi: Uh huh interesting why did you leave Obsidian..
Where's my arcanum playthrough?
What is the most challenging - *HEY LET ME GO* WHEN YOU WORKED ON ALPHA PROT - *door slams shut*

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jedi Master Radek Please ask Feargus what he can tell you about "Project Lousiana" (that's the game we think is Pillars of Eternity 2).

He'll give you a non-answer of course, but I'm interested in seeing his reaction to the fact that we know about it.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Try as I might, I can't manage to swallow the shit game companies have been throwing at me for the last ten years recent evolution in games. Maybe i'm doing it wrong, so, should I try the african or european swallow ? Help me Feargus, you're my only hope.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jedi Master Radek You should ask Avellone what he meant when he talked about "working with the Fallout IP at the source" on Twitter. Is he trying to get involved with Bethesda?

valcik

Arcane
MCA: If you'd have to pick a couple of folks from Obsidian and start a new company with them, who'd you choose and why?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Feargus: Why doesn't Obsidian do TB-based games recently? And are any on the outlook in the coming years?

MCA: Have there been talks with InXile about doing another WL game - WL3: Van Buren? If so, would you be interested in making that? Why?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
He's already met with Feargus. MCA tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom