Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Questions for the Codex interview with Leonard Boyarsky.

In the cut ending of my interview with Feargus Urquahart, I asked him if I can have an interview with Leonard Boyarsky. Thread name spoils how it ended. :)

So again I ask Codex for a help with questions. Have about a week before those go to Leonard. I started reading through old Boyarsky interviews searching for inspirations for questions. A luxury I did not have preparing for MCA and Feargus interviews.

BTW: As far as I know, it looks it's going to be the first interview with him after his transfer to Obsidian :P

Athelas

Arcane
How did you escape from Blizz - I mean, what made you decide to leave Blizzard after 10 years of captivi - I mean, 10 years of employment?

pippin

How do you feel about the Kickstarter rpg generation? Do you think it can serve as a valuable source of experience for younger devs so they can later manage their own projects from start to finish, or do you see it as the one an only way for indies and middle ground companies to survive?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
- Have you played Pillars of Eternity, and if so: what do you consider to be it's strengths and weaknesses?

- Do you consider meaningful c&c to be an important part of modern gaems/RPGs? (Or somehting along those lines)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1. Dream game he would like to make.

2. Whether he thinks there is any chance of that happening at Obsidian.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Are you ideas already being shut down at Obsidian or has it not started yet?

Do you feel you have the same degree of freedom at Obsidian as at Blizzard? How much less?

Have you considered inXile after you left Blizzard? Were there any talks?

Not enough Arcanum questions here. I guess we could ask VTMB questions as well?
:rpgcodex:

For my question: Ask him about what he thinks of how the Fallout franchise is going. Segue into fishing for info on the Troika post apocalyptic game.

[Not a question to him, but to the dex] Who was the fella behind the half ogre quest?

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What does he think of the way RPG have gone since their heyday around Fallout.

What are his thoughts on how it seems that the design of RPG's that today are commonly called old school (like Fallout, Arcanum, etc) seemingly never went through the same sort of evolving curve as the more popular genres, and as such didn't seem to get the similiar push forward in design and creativity as the genre simply got marginalized and effectively combined with action games? Where does he think RPG's could be if the "old school" never went through those harder times, and/or where all could it go now that it's doing a sort of second coming ever since the rise of the Kickstarter (provided that the drive doesn't die out)?

If he, Tim and Jason were to make Fallout from scratch now (pretending it never happened), with all the experience they have gathered since the 90's, how different would he suppose it'd be from what it was?

How much room does he think there's still for (relatively) original concepts - both design and setting - like Fallout in the current RPG market?

Last edited:

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
What does he think are the largest differences between working with a small group like Black Isle or Troika (Relatively speaking) and leviathans like Blizzard?

Of the three games Troika made, which one does he consider their best accomplishment?

Does he think something on the scale/depth of Arcanum could ever be realistically done again?

Sannom

Augur
Do you think there is a too great focus on balancing everything to perfection in modern games?
Aside from Codex-Meme Josh Sawyer, which games tried to balance everything to perfection? And citing online competitive games is cheating. I don't think anyone wants to go back to the broken imbalance that was Red Alert.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
What exactly is an RPG? Ask him to define RPG (and we will use it as a sacred commandment).
Does he consider Wizardry to be an RPG?
What does he think about the balance in RPGs? What is more important: fun or balance?
Does he like nuBioware games (ME and DA series)? If yes - what specifically does he like about them? Are they RPGs?
Does he like Bethesda games? If yes - what specifically does he like about them? Are they RPGs?
What game does he like better: Arcanum, VtM:B or ToEE?
What game does he hate most?
Writing or environmental storytelling - which one does he prefer?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's your take on community feedback during development? Will you seek out RPG Codex's sage advice for your next project? Why not?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Does he want to work on a Fallout spinoff for Bethesda, like Obsidian previously did? If so, would he use their engine, or make a new one/ use a different one?

Weasel
In 15 yrs time, which aspects of current CRPG design do you think will be ascribed to the 'technological limitations' of this era, by an industry which will have moved on from them, and which aspects could be retained as essential to the genre?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom