Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Radical Heights - Cliff Bleszinski chases the next fad...and goes bankrupt, RIP

Phanax

Novice
Patron
I'll admit I didn't know much about this Ninja fellow since I don't follow Twitch all that much. But according to his wikipedia entry:

He earns over $500,000 per month from streaming Fortnite

Fuck me. And I'm here working like a chump.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'll admit I didn't know much about this Ninja fellow since I don't follow Twitch all that much. But according to his wikipedia entry:

He earns over $500,000 per month from streaming Fortnite

Fuck me. And I'm here working like a chump.
At least you still have your dignity,brain and don't look like clown. There is a good chance for him dying poor and forgotten in a few years.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
$500,000 per month. I highly doubt poor.
Well not poor now. We're assuming he has the self-control (or has a good financial advisor) to make that money last. Too many people who come into a lot of money in a short amount of time end up broke because they simply don't know when to stop spending. Very common with lottery winners, but also with anyone who is not used to dealing with large amounts of money and don't have years and years of experience to temper their impulses.

Hmm. Don't a lot of these pro-streamers basically play a new release like RH maybe once or twice and then move onto something more interesting/profitable?

1524663437034.png

I assume a sexual favor was exchanged later.
Does this man have any self-respect at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lawl https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/05/01/lawbreakers-devs-on-battle-royale-of-radical-heights/

‘We’re trying to understand that the market has changed’ – Radical Heights dev on the lesson of LawBreakers

radical-heights-interview-1-620x300.jpg

I’m hiding in a bush when a man in a garish tracksuit runs past. The fool. I step out and spray him with bullets from an uzi. He’s dead in a second, exploding like a piñata into a shower of guns ‘n’ goodies. I’ve reached the final 20 survivors, and yup, Radical Heightsis a battle royale, no doubt about it. But this rough and ready deathmatch has been in development for just five months. That dead man’s tracksuit? Identical to my tracksuit. The bush? An ugly placeholder of blurred leaves. In five minutes I will be murdered in a non-descript building made of textureless grey walls. Some might call the shooter unready. Zach Lowery, of developers Boss Key Productions, calls it “XTREME early access”.

“For us, early access is our way of saying: ‘Hey, this game is far from finished, right?” Lowery tells me over Skype. “Our art’s not done, we don’t have all of the features in there that we want, but we’re going to drop a roadmap to give people an idea of what’s to come.

radical-heights-interview-2-620x364.jpg

“And we wanted to make sure whatever we put in at an early access state was understandable. Because some early access games, they’ll put things in and it’s super confusing. For us, [it was about] making sure we didn’t put anything in that you didn’t understand. It could be a grey box, but if a player walks up to it and has no idea what to do with the grey box, that’s a problem.”

While there are still many grey surfaces in their fresh-faced free-to-play game, much is also spattered in colour. This is a future world suffering from a retroactive adoration for the 1980s. To make up for a faltering economy, a shady organisation has invented a battle royale based on the golden age of TV gameshows. As you play, events pop up, like bike races or shoot-outs, with a brash announcer’s voice bellowing through the dome in which contestants fight. There are “mystery doors” which take 10 seconds to unlock but which also play booming, conspicious music while you wait. This is Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, if Brendan Greene had been a fan of perms, BMXs and Supermarket Sweep.

radical-heights-interview-3-620x349.jpg

“We wanted to make it more than ‘I put my reticule on you and if I can out-click you, then I’m the best around’,” says Lowery. “So we wanted to treat it more like a sandbox and make sure we were giving people toys to play around with and have fun and kind of craft their own stories – because 99% of people who play a given round are going to lose.”

Making things more comfortable for the chicken dinnerless is a sticking point. Even if you’re ruthlessly gunned down in 12th place, like I was in that grey non-building, you’ll still earn money from all the kills you achieved or gameshow events that you won. You can then carry that cash into later matches and spend it on guns from vending machines peppered around the map.

radical-heights-interview-4b-620x349.jpg

“So we want to make sure there are things in there that are enjoyable and it’s not just ‘crouch in a corner for ten minutes and then sneak across a field of grass and then die.’

“We’ve discussed BMX bikes giving you adrenaline, or prizes that can only be reached by hitting certain ramps and doing a backflip through a flaming hoop or something like that.”

In other words: ‘battle royale, but sillier’. That brief might be enough for Boss Key, but it remains to be seen whether it’s enough for the adrenaline-hooked poultry lovers of the world. This genre has exploded in recent times. Sky-diving with your enemies and getting summarily sniped from afar has become surprisingly fashionable. With that in mind, isn’t Lowery worried the genre is becoming overpopulated?

“No, because ultimately no one knows how big the ocean is,” he says. “There are two giant ships out there right now and then there’s us and we’ve made a splash and we’ve proven that there is an audience and there is a possibility to have another boat out in the ocean.

“But what we also feel pretty good about is that… we have lots of ideas in our mind how we can expand Radical Heights. The sky’s the limit, kinda, we have a lot of game mode ideas we want to try out.”

radical-heights-interview-4-620x349.jpg

Those ideas will be woven into the game as it currently exists. Or semi-exists. While the hook of the deathmatch and its surrounding silliness is present, the amount of rough edges make this one of the most noticeably undercooked early access releases in memory. Five months from “initial pen-to-paper design discussions” to downloadable bullet playground is a very short turnaround for a videogame of this kind. In a display of unabashed chutzpah, Boss Key dubbed the recently released game as “XTREME early access”. An in-game news ticker invites players to “embrace the jank”. Is that part of the comedy, I ask. Or is it an ambitious bit of spin?

“I think it’s both,” says Lowery. “I think it’s part of the comedy because if you look at early access games and you watch people who are streaming those games and playing them, they’re forgiving, right? Because people know that they’re not finished. So when you take a jeep and you crash it into another jeep in PUGB and it skyrockets you 100 metres into the air, people are laughing.

“Yeah, you’re going to lose or whatever, but for us, we knew that we were going to make this game fast and we were going to focus on the important core of the game that we needed to be playable, and that was: looting, shooting, cosmetic collection and customisation, and then our gameshows.”

rad5-620x349.jpg

So far I’ve been ignoring an important talking point. LawBreakers, the studio’s last big team shooter, performed badly. In their own words it “failed to find enough of an audience to generate the funds necessary to keep it sustained.” So the team stopped working on it altogether. At the time, Lowery was a senior animator on the team. One of the problems, he suggests, is that their bullet-soaked, low-gravity hero shooter just wasn’t accessible enough.

“I think one of the major things that we learned from LawBreakers – that I know I personally took into Radical Heights development – was accessibility. We wanted to make sure that we did not over-complicate things and that Radical Heights was very accessible. That goes back to our early access approach. If this is a grey box, then I need to understand what to do when I walk up to it. That was our litmus test when we put something in. How complete does it have to be to really sell the understanding of it.”

Rad1-620x349.jpg

However, inaccessibility alone doesn’t kill a game. The studio has loudly asserted they’re self-publishing the new battle royale. And in their announcement of LawBreakers demise they dismissed the possibility of the shooter going free-to-play, saying “a change of this magnitude takes publishing planning and resources to do it.”

This suggests there was a rocky relationship between the studio and publishers Nexon. Or at least a relationship that degenerated in some way. But Lowery is tight-lipped about those particular problems. Even when I ask about the general sentiment within the studio, at the level of an employee, rather than a project lead, he avoids the question.

“Yeah, I can’t speak to any of that,” he says. “I wasn’t involved in any of that.”

rad7-620x349.jpg

Likewise, when I ask if Radical Heights was released earlier-than-planned as a result of LawBreakers’ poor performance, Lowery denies the connection. For him, the reason contestants of this homocidal gameshow are seeing so many grey surfaces, is really a result of a change in “philosophy”.

“No,” he says, “it was purely because we were shifting our development philosophies at Boss Key. We’re trying to understand that the market has changed and the way that people want to consume their games has changed, and that a lot of audiences want to be included in that development.

“So that’s what we’re trying to do here: make games with smaller teams and make sure we’re getting them into people’s hands sooner, rather than later.”

Radical Heights is free-to-play on Steam with a Founder’s Pack that costs £11.39/$14.99

Big Wrangle

What is there to understand about that the market has changed? CliffyB has witnessed 4 changes in the market already.

Ash

Arcane
What is there to understand about that the market has changed? CliffyB has witnessed 4 changes in the market already.

What were those market shifts? Dumb & Dumber, Dumber & Even Dumber Strikes Back: The Prequel?

Phanax

Novice
Patron
He was a designer on Unreal and UT
What did he work on?
This says he was a lead designer and involved in level design work for Unreal. Also I think I've seen his name crop up in the credits of a few levels.
I posted it earlier in this thread, but I may as well do it again:

irN9Uhg.jpg

Unreal is the only game I've seen in which summary information (including the author) for a map is shown upon a load, even when in single player. It's a neat touch though.

U-8D8

Savant
Ah, sorry man, I didn't spot that when I scrolled past your post, would've just quoted it if I had.

I liked how Unreal was upfront with the player. If you wanted a straitlaced fps you could just ignore most the datapads and go straight for the enemies. If you stopped to read them though, you'd get some cool background on the planet, the Nali, the Skaarj and get some well written mini-narratives to boot all without shoving cutscenes in your face every few minutes. I cared more about finding out what happened to that marooned lady in the Nali Castle then I was for whoever the hell I left back on Virmire in Mass Effect. Wish more games had writing like it.

Sad to see how far CliffyB's fallen.

He was a designer on Unreal and UT
What did he work on?
This says he was a lead designer and involved in level design work for Unreal. Also I think I've seen his name crop up in the credits of a few levels.

irN9Uhg.jpg

Unreal is the only game I've seen in which summary information (including the author) for a map is shown upon a load, even when in single player. It's a neat touch though.

Never played Metal Gear Solid V I take it? Every mission plays credits in that too, including showing who the level designers are.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
Never played Metal Gear Solid V I take it? Every mission plays credits in that too, including showing who the level designers are.
I played a bit of it but got bored after a while so I guess I didn't notice. It's a nice feature though - doesn't have to be in every game of course but it's good to give acknowledgement of individuals now and then.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
CS 1.6 briefing did that. Just a box of text that had info about the map and author in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom