Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random Encounter Question

Andhaira

Arcane
If random encounters are set to the lowest does that mean you will have trouble advancing in the game due to having less xp and not leveling up as fast? Or can that be made up by encountering harder enemies that give much more xp for lower level characters so they level up faster, as used in most other rpgs?

PEACH

Arbiter
Can't speak for the whole game, but I have no bard / no NPCs and 15h in I'm doing fine with encounters set to rare most of the time and never when I'm backtracking / puzzle solving so you should be fine I imagine

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Andhaira, I've heard reports that you're going to run into plenty of wandering monsters no matter the setting.

However, if that's untrue, then you could be facing a leveling issue since the completion of quests is a long and arduous task and typically only yields 1000 or 2000 xp for each character per. The vast majority of xp in this game is through fighting.

I have it on Rare and I still can typically only take about ten steps in new areas before COMBAT!

PEACH

Arbiter
To add to what crispy said, a good deal of encounters seem to be tile-specific as I run into them even when I'm set to never

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
On the release version, the "rare" setting for random encounters will provide you with thousands of fights, enough to keep you properly leveled up. I wouldn't consider playing on a higher setting. Not sure if the encounter rate for each setting was changed in the updates, though.

However, there is a "none" setting, which will eliminate all random encounters, leaving only tiles set to have an enemy encounter, plus boss monsters. This setting wouldn't provide you with enough XP, but it is useful when backtracking.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
However, there is a "none" setting, which will eliminate all random encounters, leaving only tile set to have a fight in them, plus boss monsters. This setting wouldn't provide you with enough XP, but it is useful when backtracking.

But then you will miss out on the PRECIOUS XP!!!111!!! MY PRECIOUS!!!!!11 sdfhsefihasdflosdf234rfusd

:D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When I played the superdemo with random encounters set to never, by the time I was able to enter Crowl only my sage had gone up to level two. I suppose I would have been able to get a few more characters leveled up if I lawn-mowed Briarwood, but according to Cleve, Crowl is intended for level 3-4 characters. So yeah you're probably going to have to grind eventually.

Alkarl

Learned
I keep mine set to rare. I get enough encounters to accumulate exp and increase combat skill ranks. Even if you're feeling along the walls in a place with easy encounters, you can still improve skills, so why not?

Tigranes

Arcane
Honestly, even on rare it gets me down. Sometimes you fight a dude, then you turn to the left and fight another dude before moving a cell. And speeding it up still slows down for animations and the key bug means you can't speed through the XP/Gold. I'd prefer to up the difficulty and enjoy a lower frequency on Rare, and let others who like monsters lining up to meet them set it to Frequent.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Cleve is constantly changing the enemy encounter frencuency, so your question will never have an answer.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, the cheesy way to advance without random encounters is to recruit NPC's. It totally works.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Do yourself a favor and turn wandering mobs off. The worst part of Wizardry 8 and it can go away by pressing a button.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom