Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hmmm, I think that game would be too expensive and convoluted to license, as it features many characters from different companies. Also he said there are "other versions" other than a PS3 version, so I guess not. (And hopefully no Idea Factory game please.)

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also he said there are "other versions" other than a PS3 version
I mentioned that Cross Edge has a Xbox 360 version.

Resonance of Fate is also an option, but I feel like the dev is too big for them.

Hyperion

Arcane
Could be Eternal Sonata, one of the Tales of... games, or Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Most were originally for 360, (think 1 or 2 Tales games were for the Wii) but had additional content on the ps3 release. Dragon's Crown would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
In other news, another Chinese indie JRPG is coming to Steam. Unfortunately, it will not be available in English at launch:

English version and Japanese version are in progress. Because of lacking money(over 400,000 chinese words need to be translated), can’t include in the first publish version. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Featuring:
·combining tradition and innovation, a fantasy RPG that grants a high degreee of play style flexibility
·protagonist with name and gender of your choice
·400,000 word script, all interwoven to create a grand yet meticulously crafted world
·more than 30 potential companions, who are among the cast of 50+ diverse characters
·highly strategic combat system with low barrier-to-entry but high skill cap
·a combination of numerous pre-determined as well as randomly generated events, as well as dungeons that require various approaches to complete
·hundreds of skill combinations and randomly generated equipment, combined with crafting sytem, create rich replay value
·includes steam achievements, cards, backgrounds and emoji.

Nostaljaded

Savant
The 'Pastelia Stories' soundtrack played during the adventure screen (the starting piece in youtube trailer) uses the same music from a JRPG/doujin RPG.
Can't recall the title so probably dropped the game.

Not sure whether is there a music marketplace similar to the Unity asset store.

If not, then it's a wholesale ripoff.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Viusal novel/RPG Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak: Special Gigs is coming to Steam:

Reinhardt

Arcane
I hope they did better job this time. For me first game was ok in the missions, but unplayable in the village. I still don't know why.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It became playable for me after messing around with the Nvidia control panel (enabling multithreading etc.) - and I enjoyed it a lot. But yeah, that's something they should take care of themselves and not the player. Hope it's better optimized this time.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I hope they did better job this time. For me first game was ok in the missions, but unplayable in the village. I still don't know why.

Well, FWIW they're boasting 60fps gameplay this time (Japanese): https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/toukiden/toukiden2/steam.html

They released the in-game card minigame (which has nothing to do with the actual battle system which also uses cards, I guess) as a standalone game, it's single player and multiplayer and on PC and mobile.
https://sungazersoft.itch.io/qpq
I'm not sure it's any interesting (or maybe it is?), but I'm still enthusiastic about the real game.

Steam page:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Alliance Alive battle system gameplay, latest details

The latest on Furyu's upcoming 3DS RPG.
FuRyu has updated the Japanese official website for The Alliance Alive with new information, a battle system video, and screenshots.
The-Alliance-Alive_03-09-17_009.jpg

The-Alliance-Alive_03-09-17_010.jpg

The-Alliance-Alive_03-09-17_011.jpg

A lot more in the link: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/alliance-alive-battle-system-gameplay-latest-details
I hope it gets localized. The legend of Legacy had its issues, but I still want these types of games to be made.

Hyperion

Arcane
If they took the criticisms of The Legend of Legacy seriously and applied it to this it might be pretty dece, but this is a SaGa game we're talking about. They'll probably scrap what they had, throw some shit at a wall and hope it sticks again.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interview with XSEED's Ken Berry, "slew of PC announcements" is coming soon: http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/03/14/xseed-ken-berry-interview/

Some quotes:

We did have a couple of initiatives last year where we wanted to bring on more digital titles, especially indie games. Games such as Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity on PS4 didn’t quite live up to expectations, but that could be a reflection to something that we did. I would say that PC titles like Xanadu Next that we put out also didn’t live up expectations.

I’m wondering if perhaps we didn’t give the full support and lead up to the game’s release that it needed. Traditionally, when we announce titles months in advance it’s for the retail push and they can set up pre-orders. With digital titles we thought, “Well you don’t need that long lead time so how about just a very short intense press release cycle period 4 weeks before launch?” I’m not sure if that was the best strategy for Xanadu Next which was a game that really didn’t find its audience.

Yes, Senran kagura: Shinovi Versus has done extremely well. We’ve recently announced that Senran Kagura: Estival Versus will also be coming out on March 17. Some other titles did above expectations on PC such as Nitro+ Blasters and Akiba’s Trip, they definitely found a great audience on PC.

With Marvelous in Japan providing plenty of games to choose from, some games end up going under the radar like Uppers. Do you by chance plan to return to the possibility of Uppers, or is the Vita exclusivity something that isn’t feasible for XSEED?

KB: I mean I do think that we can always go back and check out some of Marvelous’s older IPs that maybe we have passed on before or didn’t get a chance to publish. However, a lot of the time when you do that you need to consider bringing it to another platform which would usually be PC making the most sense.

Would you be willing to give an update on The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd’s localization?

KB: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd is actually pretty far along and the text has been edited and being proofed. It’s just the programming side that we are continuing to work on. I don’t have any kind of exact time frame just yet, but it is definitely making great progress. We definitely keep our in house programmer, Sara, very busy with various projects like updating our PC games and working on some unannounced projects that we might reveal soon.

Can we expect to hear any announcements from XSEED soon?

KB: Yes absolutely, we do have slew of PC announcements that we will be making very shortly that may be a combination of ports and IP that haven’t been released. Keep an eye out for that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh, right also soft-hentai card game from IF is out yesterday:

Apparently this game has in-app purchases despite the removal of online features from Vita version.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ghostlight brings Furyu and Lancarse's Lost Dimension to PC: http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/ghostlight-are-bringing-lost-dimension-to-pc

Hi everyone,

I’m really excited to finally be able to reveal Ghostlight’s next project… I’m delighted to say that we will be working with FURYU Corporation on the conversion and publication of their highly-regarded Japanese tactical RPG, Lost Dimension, on PC later this year!

LostDimension_LOGO_blog_448-16-3-2017.png

Developed by Lancarse, creators of a number of highly acclaimed JRPGs, and published by FURYU Corporation in Japan, Atlus in North America and Nippon Ichi in Europe on PlayStation 3 and Vita in 2014-15, this one truly is a corker!

Some of you may already know that the team behind Lost Dimension have an incredibly impressive pedigree. The game's intriguing storyline was written by Jun Kumagai, the Pillar’s intelligent floor designs were headed up by Takeshi Oga, while the character designs were provided by Yuu Yamashita and Makoto Tsuchibayashi.

After racking up many hours playing Lost Dimension, it’s safe to say that everyone here at Ghostlight are massive fans of the game. We’re not alone either and here are just a few of the great reviews this excellent title has received…

In Japan, both the PS3 and PS Vita versions of Lost Dimension received highly-coveted Gold Awards from a very well renowned gaming magazine company. All four reviewers from the publication gave the PlayStation 3 version of Lost Dimension a score of 8, for a total of 32/40, while the PlayStation Vita version received scores of 8, 8, 8 and 9, for a total of 33/40.

Lost Dimension was also hugely well received in the West, receiving some fantastic reviews:

Digitally Downloaded “Lost Dimension is an incredible title, with a constant sense of escalation and drama.” 4.5 Stars out of 5

PSU.com “Lost Dimension is a unique title that tries to bring some originality to RPGs, as well as a new form of replayability. The core concept is fantastic and makes the story thought provoking.” 8.5/10

NZGamer "Gripping character work complements deep combat." 8.4/10

Brash Games “In a nutshell, Lost Dimension is one of the most addictive gameplay experiences I’ve played on the Vita in a while.” 8/10

Destructoid “It's a genuinely satisfying and memorable tactical RPG that I won't soon forget.” 8/10

Taking place in the near-future with the world in ruin, a terrorist mastermind known only as ‘The End’ threatens humanity with a nuclear apocalypse. To combat this threat, a Special Forces group comprised of eleven young psychics with incredible superhuman abilities, is tasked with pursuing The End to the summit of a sky-scraping tower which has dramatically appeared on the city skyline from out of nowhere. Can the team find and eliminate The End and avoid the nuclear Armageddon he has set in motion?

Key game features:
  • Take on the enemy across tactically created environments in an amazingly strategic turn-based battle system!
  • Create bonds with your teammates and use your psychic talent of ‘vision’ to rifle through their minds and find the traitors!
  • Every person counts in battle as you place teammates to benefit and shield each other and manage their ‘Defers’ and ‘Berserk’ modes!
  • Test your investigation and deduction skills by finding the traitor on each floor of the towering Pillar. Traitors are randomly determined, so no two playthroughs are the same!
Personally, I’ve really enjoyed playing Lost Dimension, having already finished the PS3 version and nearly completing the Vita version too. Lost Dimension is not only a tactical RPG as it also features visual-novel like elements, where players’ choices determine the fate of the game's story and its characters. Such is the originality offered by the judgement and combat systems, I repeatedly found myself thinking about this game at home after work!

With Lost Dimension, FURYU Corporation have created an incredible JRPG that manages to feel unique, yet strangely reminiscent of some of my favourite Japanese games :)

The PC version will support multiple screen resolutions, mouse/keyboard and controller support, Steam Achievements and cloud saving. It will also feature the original high quality localisation from Atlus, plus we will be implementing higher resolution artwork in a number of areas in-game. In addition to this, we are also considering offering a special Digital Collector’s Edition, although I can’t promise anything on that front until we’ve worked through all the available game resources :)

I’m really looking forward to getting this game on to PC and you can be sure that here at Ghostlight we’ll do our best to improve on the technical specs of the original game and bring you the best version of Lost Dimension that we possibly can. I hope you’re as excited as I am to be sharing this excellent JRPG with the PC-gaming community. Lost Dimension will be released on Steam in 2017, so remember to keep an eye on our blog and social media pages for more news and updates :)

Console version trailer:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Interesting. Kinda glad I skipped it on Vita now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom