Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

spekkio

Arcane
"Harvest Moon ripoff"? :roll:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
VanillaWare's 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim will actually be at E3 2017. I'm happy about that. I thought it was canned or something.
Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is known for high-quality, deeply immersive, uniquely Japanese and indie video game experiences. Sega is a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment software products. Don’t miss our booth featuring highly anticipated titles from Atlus and Sega, including Yakuza 6, Yakuza Kiwami, Sonic Forces, Sonic Mania, and 13 Sentinels.

The PSVita game The Caligula Effect (Known only as Caligula in Japan), delayed until May 9 in Europe. (Will released May 2 in NA.)
Caligula-Effect-Delay-May-9-EU.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
About "simulation RPG" (a.k.a. SRPG): "simulation", in this context, derived from "war simulation" which is Japanese way of saying wargame/strategy game. (Some Japanese call RTS "real-time strategy simulation", you know?) It implies that "SRPG" is a mix of character-level progression (and story) from RPG and wargame-like combat flow.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, things Western gamers usually call tactical/strategy RPGs, like Fire Emblem and Disgaea. I read some Japanese gamers/publications call (nu)XCOM an SRPG.

Executr

Cipher
Nobunaga’s Ambition Series’ Newest Title Announced For PS4, Nintendo Switch, And PC

Koei Tecmo announced the latest entry in the Nobunaga’s Ambition series, and it’ll be headed to PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC. Here’s a peek from this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine.

The title of the game is Nobunaga no Yabo: Taishi. Since “taishi” is actually another way to say “ambition,” we’ll just go with Aspiration for the time being.

This time around in Nobunaga’s Ambition: Taishi, the title will focus on the aspirations of generals, one by one. We’ll learn more about its theme and new gameplay systems in the near future.

Nobunaga’s Ambition: Taishi is in development for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/2...ewest-title-announced-ps4-nintendo-switch-pc/

Official site (in moonrunes): http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/taishi/

Some guy translated the features:
From the Translation about NA 15

1. More than 2000 officers and more cities than NA 14

2. There are two types of solider, one is peasant soldiers, recruiting them will reduce agriculture yield. another is professional soldiers, recruiting them will spend a lot of money.

3. Tons of historical events have been added.

4. The detail of the map is 100 times than NA 14.

5. Because of the the map has more detail, zoom in you will see the battle like NA 14 into battle scene. Zoom out you will see the battle like NA 14 big strategy map. Therefore no more into battle scene.
It like this game: Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients,
http://store.steampowered.com/app/308173/Hegemony_III_Clash_of_the_Ancients/
You zoom out it shows your troops are many chess move on the big map, when you zoom in it become a RTS battle field.

tp3_sec1_p3.jpg

tp1_sec1_p2.jpg

6. You troops don't need to follow the road. you can let your troops go anywhere. Do not need to build the road like NA 14.

7. NA 15 main system is the "will" system which is improving AI, complex AI. Different clan have different plan. if you or other AI block or interrupt another clan's "will"(plan), this clan will react your action and judge whether or not you or other AI have threat for them. If this clan think your or other AI's actions have threat for his "will"(plan), he will declare war with you or other AI.
From the translation I think the "will" system more like the Civ 6 leaders' opinion system. e.g. When you build a wonder, you interrupt the AI Qin Shihuang's wonder plan. He will dislike you and warn you. If you keep building many wonders, he may be declare war with you.

8. From the AN 15 official website, I can confirm that the NA 15 UI's main color will be dark blue and dark red. other UI's color will be brown and dark green.

9. the game will be released this year(2017) winter time. but because it is a KOEI's game. We all know KOEI = dark and shame. Therefore the release date may delay to 2018

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Puzzle/exploration game developed with MSX computer for 5 years:

Ancient adventure game with movie with step by step animation.
Recently in most of games, once you push a button, sword automatically swing and door open.
But
in this game, you should swing the sword by yourself, also door, etc. This will remind you your ANALOG feelings on your palm that you already forgotten.

This game was developed on MSX1(32K) but soon you can play on your Windows PC.
All animations are drawn by hand with (computer) mouse. 110 pics for the opening movie, 160 pics for the ending movie, and more enemies,furnitures, etc, total 648 pics.

Martius

Liturgist
I wonder if anyone at Konami will care enough to sent lawyers after this.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I wonder if anyone at Konami will care enough to sent lawyers after this.
They have to.Something to do with protecting your ip or loosing it lawyer shenanigans.
The only way to get a fan mod approved is by a agreement with the ip holder lawyers,not the secretary or developers.
And i really doubt they did that.
Edit:By "have to" i mean have to send a cease and desist note. As long as the authors take it down they wont pursue anymore and any versions on the internet are not the mod creators fault.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it has already been released, they can send a C&D, but when the game is out there, there's not much Konami can do about getting rid of it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
http://gematsu.com/2017/05/sega-planning-revival-major-ips

Sega has just recently released a presentation of their future plans. You can find an article and the presentation on the above link. The most interesting part, for us, however lies in the fact that Sega is going to revive old IPs and try to port games across more platforms.

fjw1oGB.png

6tACOfQ.jpg

Personally I'm pretty excited about the potential here. Bringing Yakuza and Atlus games to PC, reviving old good IPs that they have been sitting on for years without doing anything, like Shining Force, Shinobi, Phantasy Star (not counting the MMOs), Golden Axe and more. I would be pretty happy if Sega could go back, even if just a bit, to mimicing their glory days.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
http://gematsu.com/2017/05/sega-planning-revival-major-ips

Sega has just recently released a presentation of their future plans. You can find an article and the presentation on the above link. The most interesting part, for us, however lies in the fact that Sega is going to revive old IPs and try to port games across more platforms.

fjw1oGB.png

6tACOfQ.jpg

Personally I'm pretty excited about the potential here. Bringing Yakuza and Atlus games to PC, reviving old good IPs that they have been sitting on for years without doing anything, like Shining Force, Shinobi, Phantasy Star (not counting the MMOs), Golden Axe and more. I would be pretty happy if Sega could go back, even if just a bit, to mimicing their glory days.
Alpha Protocol 2, Aliens RPG...
:negative:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Hm i don't know if this belongs here but whatever:
Castlevania fan game has been released :
http://the-mig-page.wifeo.com/castlevania-the-lecarde-chronicles-2013.php

I just passed the 25% mark. The game is long and I'm liking it a lot.
The game is much closer to SoTN than to early Castlevanias. The world opens via unlocking new skills and key items. You've got a detailed equipement (melee weapon, armor, ring, necklace and something on your head), the traditional range weapon, some basic skills and two chargeable jauges whose level increases by finding an upgrade, each level of charge launching a different combat skill.
Some remarks and impressions so far :
- Visually the game is great, and the different environnements in particular are quite awesome.
- The musics are great too.
- There are different and interesting enemies, the environnements, puzzles and plateforming parts have been decent so far, and the bosses a little easy (but I always took the time to find upgrades and equipement)
- There's no XP, and I'm loving that, that makes finding new equipement or upgrades even more satisfying. Besides there are shops and you're not flooded with gold and have to choose what to buy including among some almost mandatory but fundamentally optional pieces of equipement.
- Following the last point, until now I don't think the different sections could have been explored in a really different order than I did, but at least there are upgrades, sacks of gold and items to find via new skills.
- There's a very good day/night cycle, with different enemies and some more things.
I'm probably forgetting some things but I'll probably leave some more impressions after completing the game.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The second half of the game is brilliant, miles above the first one (which was good) with better interconnected levels and a lot of little things to do.
The game is a masterpiece in my opinion. Things could probably be said, for example I don't know if you can skip big sequences or play the game in reverse order or that kind of things, which is also fun in this kind of game.
Few bosses are challenging if you take your time but I won't blame the game for rewarding exploration, especially considering that the amount and quality of little puzzles to unlock things here and there is where the game arguably beats any other similar game I can think of at this moment.
The game is gorgeous, the level design is great, especially in the second half, there are many differents environnements and enemies and the adventure part is top notch (even considering the point above) with tons of little things to unlock.
As an example of inventive little things you can sit and watch a puppet show which lasts 150 years and die by old age (inb4 that example is ripped-off another game).

I am still looking for the very last secrets, I've unlocked a second ending (I haven't completed the game yet but I've reached the beginning of the ending sequence two times, and it was different the second time, for logical reasons).

EDIT : I finished, got the "best ending" and unlocked a boss rush mode. Hunting for all the key items required to unlock the ending was fun, and the last boss fight as well as the two last optional ones were cool fights.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well I hope I get to that second half pretty soon because I'm getting really fucking sick of the shitty 'fetch item that totally isn't a key and backtrack to the one spot you need it to proceed' routine the game has thrown at me for like 90% of the items I've gotten so far. Some of the little secrets are cool, but the impact feels pretty low. 3% more rare item drop chance in a game where killing enemies is basically a waste of time? Resistance to some trivial status effect? Meh. All the weapons are the exact same with bigger numbers. It's got decent enemy placement/platforming sections, but so do a billion other platformers that don't make me backtrack a ton to pad the play time in a completely linear game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I played the 2nd one ages ago, it was quite good. Can't recall why exactly I stopped playing, I think I got distracted by some other genre like dwarf fortress or a roguelike or something.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
for whatever it's worth or for anyone who cares...

CASTLEVANIA: THE LECARDE CHRONICLES 2 IS A FUCKING AMAZING GAME AND THE BEST CASTLEVANIA SINCE SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT.

STOP POSTING RIGHT NOW AND PLAY IT.

(and I don't even fucking like Metroid-vania games that much! I just gave it a try out of boredome and am fucking hooked like it was cocaine).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm surprised no one mentioned how the game took a lot of concepts from Simons Quest but did it good.

At the very least, on the visual side of things.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was wondering if Carpe Fulgur (recettear guys) were up to anything recently, and lo behold, they are.

Their next release has a demo on steam, and it seems to be from the same people who made their previous release: This starry midnight we make.

They're seemingly also running a kickstarter for it for the express purpose of adding voice acting, it looks like they're going for Japanese VA as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom