Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I still find it weird they skipped the first quartet of games to go with G.U. instead for remastering.

jungl

Augur
.hack games were a dissapointment for the most part. The entire concept behind them was extremely cool back in the day but in execution the game was w.e. Dungeon crawlers like dark cloud were better. I had more entertainment from watching 2-3 episodes of the .hack anime then I did playing the games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
KEMCO's new Steam release:

ss_a4b231179f61a5d14aa5bda3454d97953a425cb1.600x338.jpg

ss_6f3d8e974d1705a1cef69c5c756012ba2e943730.600x338.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
Hey, I heard you like Advance Wars...

What's keeping Nintendo from making a new Advance Wars?
(Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-30-whats-keeping-nintendo-from-making-a-new-advance-wars)

It's been coming up to a decade since we last saw Advance Wars, the brilliantly characterful turn-based strategy game from Intelligent Systems, and it seems it might be a little while longer until there's a new one. We at least have some insight into why it's taking so long, though.

Speaking to Eurogamer in an interview for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia , Nintendo's Hitoshi Yamagami - who worked as producer on three Advance Wars titles, including the last entry, 2008's Days of Ruin - said he'd be keen to return to the series. The problem, though, is how it could assimilate one of Fire Emblem's most popular features - the relationship-building that takes place on the battlefield.

"Personally, I'd love to do Advance Wars, but since it's harder to create relationships between its characters compared to Fire Emblem, I don't have a clear idea of what kind of setting it could have," Yamagami told Eurogamer.

Really, though, who doesn't want to see two MD tanks get it on in order to make a little baby MD tank?

Intelligent Systems, at least, seems just as keen to return to the series. "The Advance Wars series is one that I personally have a lot of interest in," said Masahiro Higuchi, a producer on Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and a contributor to 2001's Advance Wars. "I hear some of the staff here saying that they want to make one too, so if we have a chance it's something I'd like to do!"

:negative:
You know they never actually released Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict in Japan until 5 years later? Even though it's made by a Japanese company and it had the Japanese version on the cart.
I guess they thought it was too GRIMDARK. Maybe they don't want a new one.

Also I hate Nintendo for not releasing soundtracks from their games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"Anime Expo 2017 gaming-related panel schedule": http://gematsu.com/2017/06/anime-expo-2017-gaming-related-panel-schedule

Among many, many moehentaidesu panels, here are two panels we may (or may not) see some JRPG announcements:

Saturday, July 1

2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – The Aksys Games Panel – After two years of pre-planned panels, earnest rehearsals and “professionalism,” the driver-less Aksys Hype Train is back in all its chaotic glory! Expect pointless stress and exhaustion-fueled ramblings, soul-crushing puns, and announcements. Lots and lots of announcements. Please don’t feed the panelists. (Live Programming 3.)

Tuesday, July 4

1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. – NIS America & Community Panel – Over Twenty-five, dood. This is the amount of titles we will finish publishing by the end of 2017. In this panel, NISA’s marketing team discusses the evolution of NISA and the variety games NISA has published in the past. With key titles like Birthdays the Beginning, Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, what other surprises does NIS America have in store? (Live Programming 4.)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/little-witch-academia-witch-time-seven-wonders-announced-ps4

One of the more compelling modern animes that isn't utter garbage is getting a game for the PS4. Couldn't find any news on a western release yet, but hopefully it'll come.

Coming to west for PC and PS4 early next year: https://gematsu.com/2017/07/little-witch-academia-chamber-time-coming-americas-ps4-pc-early-2018

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time is a heart-pounding 3D action RPG beat ‘em up featuring an original storyline carved from the popular anime series by Studio Trigger, a Tokyo-based anime production company; now streaming exclusively on Netflix.

Having been inspired by a famous witch named Shiny Chariot, an ordinary girl named Atsuko (Akko) Kagari enrolls at Luna Nova Magical Academy, a prestigious school for young girls training to become witches. Before starting summer vacation, Akko and her new classmates find out about an inexplicable phenomenon at Luna Nova caused by the Seven Wonders, which has been passed down for several centuries. Now it’s up to Akko as she takes on the adventure to unravel the mystery surrounding the Seven Wonders.

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time features main characters from the anime and original storylines for players to explore as they make their way through Luna Nova Magical Academy.

Surprised an anime game from Bandai Namco that is not Dragon Ball, Naruto or One Piece is coming to PC.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
NISA announcements from Anime Expo:

- Demon Gaze II for PS4 and Vita, November 14 (NA) / November 17 (EU), 2017
- Penny Punching Princess for Vita and Switch, March 20 (NA) / March 23 (EU), 2018
- The Longest 5 Minutes for PC and Vita has delayed from 2017 to 2018 and added Switch version

No Coven. And huh, no Steam versions for the new announcements? Is NISA scaling down Steam releases?

edit: trailerz

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
NISA announcements from Anime Expo:

- Demon Gaze II for PS4 and Vita, November 14 (NA) / November 17 (EU), 2017
- Penny Punching Princess for Vita and Switch, March 20 (NA) / March 23 (EU), 2018
- The Longest 5 Minutes for PC and Vita has delayed from 2017 to 2018 and added Switch version

No Coven. And huh, no Steam versions for the new announcements? Is NISA scaling down Steam releases?

Regarding Coven, I found these two articles on Google that were posted some 10 hours ago:

http://www.dualshockers.com/coven-labyrinth-of-refrain-ps4-ps-vita-western-release-announced/

http://nichegamer.com/2017/07/04/coven-and-labyrinth-of-refrain-heads-west-in-2018-for-ps4-ps-vita/

But neither link works. Either they deleted them because of bad info, or these were leaks that weren't supposed to go public yet. Either way I'm hopeful that we'll see this game released in the west.

Martius

Liturgist
Demon Gaze 2 is made by Kadokawa so I guess NISA handles only localization and release outside of Japan. I guess they cant decide on their own to make pc port of that one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Regarding Coven, I found these two articles on Google that were posted some 10 hours ago:

http://www.dualshockers.com/coven-labyrinth-of-refrain-ps4-ps-vita-western-release-announced/

http://nichegamer.com/2017/07/04/coven-and-labyrinth-of-refrain-heads-west-in-2018-for-ps4-ps-vita/

But neither link works. Either they deleted them because of bad info, or these were leaks that weren't supposed to go public yet. Either way I'm hopeful that we'll see this game released in the west.

Apparently it was fake/mistake/confusion.

My guess is that they would announce western release after Japanese PS4 release (September).

Demon Gaze 2 is made by Kadokawa so I guess NISA handles only localization and release outside of Japan. I guess they cant decide on their own to make pc port of that one.

Ah yeah, it makes sense since Kadokawa likely want to handle Steam publishing themselves.

But Penny-Punching Princess is pretty much their own game, though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Musou-like action game Fate/Extella is coming to Steam on July 25: http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5763-fate-extella-the-umbral-star-is-heading-to-steam-on-july-25

XSEED Games announced today that Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star will be heading to Steam on July 25. This will be the same day as the Nintendo Switch release.

The Steam version will retail for $49.99/€49.99/£39.99, and will be sold at a 10% launch discount from July 25 to July 31. All of the DLC available for the game will also be 20% off during this period.

Those interested in the Nintendo Switch version can pick it up for $59.99 which includes over 30 of the already-released DLC costumes.

So, "slew of PC announcements" was not kidding, huh:

Trails in the Sky TC
Trails of Cold Steel
Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Fate/Extella

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom