Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hakoniwa Explorer Plus, cute isometric action RPG where you fight against giant monster girls. Also known as Miniature Garden Explorer:

Out now.

dryad(57126838).png

Differences from the Free Version

This version of the game has been significantly enhanced from the original free version, Hakoniwa Explorer.

Below are some of the differences from the free version.
  • You can now select your character's gender! Various statuses will change between male and female characters.
  • Selectable difficulty levels!
  • A WHOLE BUNCH of additional items! Approximately 230% more than the free version!
  • Changes to weapon shop specs: Hand over weapon/armor materials to have them leveled up and to increase the number of available items!
  • Items change in accordance with some status ailments. For example, the "Burn" status ailment cooks raw meat, etc.
  • Sukumizu has been powered up! She can hold onto your extra items for you, and more.
  • Evil Sukumizu has also been powered up! Drop your guard and she'll force you to take out a loan and will continue bullying you to no end.
  • New maps and dungeons! Now with approximately 30% more maps than the free version!
  • Lots of newly added enemies, too! Approximately 40% more characters than the free version!
  • A great big load of new villager dialogue has also been added! Added dialogue for every single character for when you jump on their heads, attack them, touch their butts, etc.
  • Newly added BGM! The five brand-new tracks from Tatsuyuki Yoshimatsu really enliven the game!
  • Changing weather! Weather on the world map now changes at random.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some random news:

NieR: Automata has sold 3 million copies on all platforms. Seems like approximately a 65%-35% split on PS4/PC.

It seems more and more likely that Tales of Vesperia: Anniversary Edition is a real thing and will be revealed at E3.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That Hawkoniwa game looks fucking awesome.

Should I be worried that the dungeons and overall presentation are more exciting for me than the monster girls?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
curry crawler

The what now?

Looks like some kind of a roguelike. Is it any good?
It's a Japanese Roguelike, yeah. Like 99% of Japanese roguelikes it is based off the Mystery Dungeon formula. In that regard it is much simpler than most roguelikes, and is focused on item management. But like other Mystery Dungeon games there is an on-going plot, as well as a system of cooking (that I'm not too familiar with not having played this game). It's made by the Neptunia devs so it is very wordy, and very focused on the cute shit, which is probably not palatable to the average codexer. Even the weeb ones. I know people who enjoyed the game but your mileage may vary.

EDIT:
Let it be known that this game is my aesthetic, and I'm looking forward to it.

Tales of Vesperia is the best Tales of game. So if we get the PS3 version on PC, with the very good English dub, I'm 100% in.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Zanki of GrimGoat: https://gematsu.com/2018/06/zanki-zero-short-battle-scene-gameplay

Zanki Zero short battle scene gameplay

Spike Chunsoft has released a 30-second gameplay video of Zanki Zero: Last Beginning showcasing a short battle scene.

While Zanki Zero is a 3D dungeon RPG at its core, battles are real-time. As seen in the video, it is possible to battle in a way such as to avoid the enemy’s attack at the proper timing while building up power and strike when there is an opening. The concept of “body parts destruction” also exists, and doing so can earn you additional rewards.

Zanki Zero: Last Beginning is due out for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita on July 5 in Japan. It is also planned for release on PlayStation 4 and PC in North America and Europe, but a release date has yet to be announced.

Watch the footage below.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Ok, it's simplified from previous entries but for someone who's never played any Nobu Amb games at all: is still at least a decent first-experience?

I haven't played it yet (obviously), but both the Nobunaga and ROTK series have been declining in quality for years (especially ROTK). Plus, Koei Tecmo's pricing is absolutely insane, you could often get boxed copies of their games NEW for way less than their Steam prices (BTW the price of this game is equivalent of 96 FUCKING USD in Japan). The negative reviews reflect that, plus the dumbed down mechanics (again, this is based on me reading Japanese reviews, not playing the most recent games), and plus the negative reviews from Chinese trolls who for some fucking stupid reason buy Japanese games just to neg review them and beg for Chinese translations (WHYYY)

If you really want to start with a great game in either the Nobunaga or ROTK series, start with the SFC or PSX games. I don't have much experience with Nobunaga, but ROTK VII-X are basically all great and go back and forth between "god" sims (where you are the total ruler of your kingdom) (I can't be bothered to look it up, but I think 9 an 10) and I guess life sims, where you can choose a character/rank and the game will basically tailor itself to your position, making it a completely different game if you choose to play as an officer or a ruler (again, can't be sure but I am pretty sure these were 7 and 8).

I would think the first few games in either series would be way too simplistic for anyone to enjoy... it's not like Wizardry where the originals are classics that have aged well, the latter games in the series are just plain better.

[edit] Instead of paying a million dollars to KOEI TECMO to try a dumbed down game, just play the SFC roms or PSX ISOs.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I was actually thinking of picking up Symphonia off steam earlier today, since it's dirt cheap, and I figure if it got ported so many times it can't be that bad. Worth it?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
so as someone who has never played a single Tales game, is this the one to be excited about?
Aside from the classics like Phantasia or Symphonia, Vesperia is probably the best Tales game ever. It's basically the game that other modern Tales games wish they were.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I mean, if you've really really never played any Tales game then by all means play Tales of Phantasia. There's a reason it's the most remade/re-released Tales game. ToP is legitimately a good game. I haven't kept up with the retranslations/re-releases so I can't tell you which of the zillion versions is the best one, but the one I played originally was the fan-translation of the original SNES cartridge.

As for Vesperia I'll torrent it when it comes out and install it, then play it for about 2 days and make a thread or two on the Codex asking inane questions about it that I could easily google, and then forget about it until I need to uninstall it in order to make space for some other game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise will be launching in North America and Europe on PlayStation®4 on October 2, 2018!

From Ryu ga Gotoku Studio, the development team behind the acclaimed Yakuza series, Lost Paradise is a high-intensity action-adventure RPG based within the world of the beloved Fist of the North Star manga. Players take control of Kenshiro as they progress through an alternate universe of the original story, explore the post-apocalyptic wastes of the Earth in a customizable buggy, and tear through groups of thugs using Kenshiro’s signature Hokuto Shinken techniques.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
aweigh Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk will be released in September:

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/labyrin...er-18-in-north-america-september-21-in-europe

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk launches September 18 in North America, September 21 in Europe

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk will launch physically and digitally for for PlayStation 4 and Switch, and for PC via Steam on September 18 in North America and September 21 in Europe, publisher NIS America announced.

In Japan, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk first launched for PS Vita in June 2016, followed by PlayStation 4 in September 2017.

A $79.99 limited edition containing a copy of the game, deck of tarot cards, four lapel pin set, hardcover art book and bookmark, two-disc official soundtrack, and collector’s box is currently available for pre-order on the NIS America Online Store (PS4, Switch).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More gameplay videos of Zanki Zero.

Intro and visual novel part:

A bit of exploration and more visual novel part:

Well, it's pretty refreshing to see a gird-based dungeon RPG with vibrant color palette, but the combat eh...

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/falcom-considering-turning-tokyo-xanadu-into-a-franchise
Falcom considering turning Tokyo Xanadu into a franchise
Tidbits from the Falcom's latest results briefing.

Falcom is considering turning its 2015-launched PS Vita action RPG Tokyo Xanadu, which has since seen enhanced ports for PlayStation 4 and PC, into a franchise, company president Toshihiro Kondo has said.
The following are tidbits from the Nihon Falcom September 2018 2nd Quarter Results Briefing, via Logmi:
  • Tokyo Xanadu launched as a title within a completely new IP. While there has only been one entry so far, it was received extremely well, and Falcom is now considering turning it into a franchise and making it one of its mainstay titles.
  • The Trails series has surpassed a total of 3.5 million units. Within that, the three entries in the latest series, Trails of Cold Steel, have surpassed 1.3 million total sales. They are currently Falcom’s strongest titles.
  • The Ys series, like Final Fantasy, is celebrating its 30th anniversary, and has become Falcom’s representative work in western and Asian countries. Including the latest entry, Ys VIII, Falcom has many long-selling titles in the series. Even titles released 10 years ago still tend to sell 200,000 to 300,000 units in North America in a trend that long continues to repeat.
  • Nihon Falcom has a select team of a little over 50 employees. Major companies with 80 to 100 people nowadays take over two years to produce one title, and that time is only longer when you’re talking about overseas game development. In the meantime, Falcom wants to keep up its pace of releasing one new RPG per year with its small, but efficient staff. The company’s high profit margin is thanks to its strength in management.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom