Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Heretic

Cipher
No, I'm serious. I watched trailers for both Ys: Celceta and Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity, and the main characters kill everyone very easily. The screen in Ys shows a long list of ingredients the player has just gained as drops.
I played Ys Origin for 11 hours but I can't remember anything about the game.

I don't belittle the genre or the games, I would just like a fan to explain why he likes them.

jungl

Augur
there only like 2 ys games? that are difficult celceta I played the chinese english translation its easy to the point you lose interest in the game.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Heretic I do agree on the easy enemies bit... The main challenge in Ys comes from the bosses, at least on the harder difficulties.
They mainly appeal to people on the "Flow" of the games, I suppose. Running around quickly, chopping enemies to bits.
Kind of like how Diablo is fun, but with more player control instead of dumb focus on loot.

The light exploration elements and great OSTs also help, no doubt.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
NIS America's Anime Expo announcements.

The Caligula Effect: Overdose - PC, PS4, SW - 2019

ss_3087205f172f90fac73d65134ba7cc13674e9367.600x338.jpg
ss_2855aa0ed965d7da0cfaaf8cc2d11cce196e8956.600x338.jpg

The Princess Guide - PS4, SW - Early 2019

RPG Maker MV - PS4, XO, SW - 2019

Have fun making games with controllers!

And new trailers for already announce games:

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ok, it's simplified from previous entries but for someone who's never played any Nobu Amb games at all: is still at least a decent first-experience?

I'm more interested in knowing how different it is from the previous Sphere of Influence game? Is it just yet another bullshit add-on sold as a full game like Ascension or is it worth buying it? I think I'm one of the few dozens who platinum'ed Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence on my PS4 so I don't want to buy the same game again.

Replying quote: Nobunaga's Ambition 1 has a pretty interesting system where you can do ONE command per season and you can be raped before your first turn even begins, I imagine it's not for everyone but I always had fun starting with Ezo and gradually eating up the whole map. I feel like the NES version is pretty spot on as a port aside from ugly ass graphics. Try this or the SNES/Genesis remake. Certainly better than paying those insane prices for the newer games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New Steam release from DLSite.com, literally hentai RPG:

* The "Automatic Defeat System" is back (on popular demand!)
No need to fight, no hassles, no fuss, just lose automatically!!
(Can be setup in the configuration with / without manual selection)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2018/07/zanki-zero-last-beginning-launches-spring-2019-in-the-west

Zanki Zero: Last Beginning launches spring 2019 in the west

Zanki Zero: Last Beginning will launch for PlayStation 4 and PC via Steam in spring 2019 in North America and Europe, Spike Chunsoft announced.

In Japan, Zanki Zero: Last Beginning launched for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita on July 5. The PS Vita version will not be released in the west.

Here is an overview of the game, via Spike Chunsoft’s Anime Expo 2018 panel:

■ Survival

Game Flow
  • Garage Island is the base of operations. From here you can explore any ruins that drift by.
  • You must find “something” deep within the ruins to clear them. As the story progresses, the next ruins will appear.
  • Conquer all ruins to solve the mystery.
Build Facilities and Improve Your Base
  • Various facilities can be build on your base.
  • Collect resources in ruins to build facilities.
  • Resources can also be used for upgrades.
  • A better base makes exploring better.
■ Clones

Clones with a 13 Day Life Span
  • The eight main characters are all human clones.
  • Clones are subject to fast aging.
  • After 13 days, they die of old age.
  • Death is unavoidable.
  • Differences between the age groups (child, adult, middle-aged, senior) include:
    • Child: Physically weak, but can fit in small crevices.
    • Adult: Physically strong, good for tough enemies.
    • Middle-Aged: High defense thanks to skills.
    • Senior: Physically weak, but can do charge attacks quickly.
Regenerating a New Clone
  • The protagonists can “Extend,” or create new clones, to come back to life.
  • Levels, skills, and memories carry over to the new clone.
  • However, the new body will be created in child form.
  • Clones can only be created by the “Extend Machine,” which is located on Garage Island and regenerates clones using the Score Points earned by defeating enemies.
“Shigabane” Makes You Stronger as You Die
  • “Shigabane” is a unique feature of Zanki Zero: Last Beginning.
  • When a clone dies, their next incarnation will gain a resistance against that cause of death.
  • The main characters get stronger as they die in various ways. For example, death by poison causes them to be resistant to poison, and death from a trap causes them to take less damage from traps.
■ Battle

A Free-Form Battle System
  • Real-time combat and exploration.
  • Use tactics that fit your play style. Run away, wait for enemies to approach, use traps, etc.
Well-Paced Action
  • Switch between standard attacks and charge attacks.
  • Cooldown times after each attack.
  • Press the attack button repeatedly to cycle through other party members.
Parts Break
  • Some enemies have breakable parts, like a tail.
  • Charge attacks destroy parts.
  • This weakens enemies or gives you special items.
  • Powerful combination attacks can be used by charging even longer to attack with several party members at once. Use these combos to destroy certain enemy parts.
■ Why Zanki Zero?
  • Discover the secrets behind each character and the truth of the mysterious storyline.
  • There are a wide variety of ruins to explore.
  • Unique game systems that are possible because the protagonists are human clones.
And here is the official fact sheet:

About Zanki Zero: Last Beginning

From producer Yoshinori Terasawa and game designer Takayuki Sugawara, the creators of the Danganronpa series, comes a new kind of survival game, Zanki Zero: Last Beginning. Explore the ruins, dungeons, and islands in this post-apocalyptic world through the perspectives of eight protagonists as they fight for survival and search for meaning in their never-ending cycles of life and death.

Story

God created the world in seven days. It only took one day for humans to destroy the world. Life as we knew it sank to the depths of the sea…until yesterday. We do not yet know the broken world and the reasons left behind there. An earth where ruins drift about. Buildings, houses, light posts. Cars, traffic lights, asphalt… Modern civilization was destroyed, becoming nothing more than debris wading in the sea. New ruins drift one after the other before the protagonist, who lives on one of those decaying islands.

Key Features
  • Eight Clones, Seven Deadly Sins, Infinite Lives – Play from the perspectives of one of eight protagonists in each chapter and explore the dungeons, towers, and islands to uncover the deadly sins of the protagonists’ past.
  • Survival of the Fittest – Hunt for materials and food while fending off monsters in real-time battle environments, but don’t forget to sleep, eat, and go to the bathroom (seriously, it’s bad for your health and fatal for your party).
  • Live, Die, Repeat – With only 13 days in one life cycle, each clone’s stats, abilities, and capabilities differ from youth to old age. Depending on how you die, you can even earn bonus upgrades for your next life cycle. Take advantage of each life cycle to the fullest!

Sounds pretty interesting.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I hope the clowns at Tecmo port them to PC too.

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/atelier...nd-atelier-meruru-dx-announced-for-ps4-switch
Atelier Rorona DX, Atelier Totori DX, and Atelier Meruru DX announced for PS4, Switch
Due out on September 20 in Japan.

Gust has announced Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland DX, Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland DX, and Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland DX for PlayStation 4 and Switch. All three titles will launch both physically and digitally on September 20 in Japan for 4,800 yen each.
Each game will include the downloadable content originally released for that title. Copies of the physical version will include a download code for that game’s original soundtrack.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ark Noir, a "resource management-heavy" survival RPG set in a huge, sinking emigrant ship. Published by Playism:

ss_3e3bc8aafc437a26e3e297805f0346a0d89306cf.600x338.jpg

ss_edae8a23c477215a652a2aff5360a6542cbeea33.600x338.jpg

ss_2f73476caefe806a4858d8be5ec7464e28b77803.600x338.jpg

Exploration is admittedly linear (only moving forward because the ship is sinking) but looks like it compensates with several other systems. You can read about them on the Steam page.

newtmonkey

Arcane
...exploration is admittedly linear (only moving forward because the ship is sinking) but looks like it compensates with several other systems. You can read about them on the Steam page.

The screens look good but you weren't exaggerating about the linearity. I thought by "only moving forward" meant once you got through a dungeon you had to go to the next and couldn't go back... but the game literally has a giant FORWARD arrow button in the middle of the screen, and that is the only movement control. Wow :o

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
man Shining Resonance Refrain must really suck to not have a single thread made about it. It's disheartening that this is the latest game in SEGA's hallowed Shining series... :(

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The Neverland spinoffs they did were at least good for what they were, everything else has been complete garbage aside from the original games before Camelot got screwed over by Sega.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Neo and Exa. They were developed by Neverland, who did the dreamcast Record of Lodoss War game they were basically copies of. They also did Lufia and Rune Factory, but they're basically defunct now. Presumably the same people are still working on the Rune Factory series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom