Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I 1DP purchased the game and will play it over the weekend
:happytrollboy:

Serious question: whats the "decline" game for the series?

Personally the only game I played was EXA on PS2, somehow the series was not popular where I lived even on PS1 era

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page of SaGa: Scarlet Grace, for Japanese only release (English version is also coming in case you missed the news):

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
which SaGa game is that? I know we got game #2 released on Steam as a SNES port (wtf), and I the two games for the Frontier spin-offs (saga frontier 1 and 2) were localized years ago for PS1 and PS2, so that leaves:

- romancing saga 1 only available fan-translated
- romancing saga 3 only available fan-translated

So this Scarlet Grace is a new spin-off series?

Jinn

Arcane
I know we got game #2 released on Steam as a SNES port (wtf),

The steam release of Romancing Saga 2 is actually a port of a port. It's a port of the mobile version of the game, unfortunately. Still great though.

So this Scarlet Grace is a new spin-off series?

Scarlet Grace is the latest release from the creator of the series, Akitoshi Kawazu. It's the newest Saga game, which was initially released in Japan on the Vita in 2016. It's amazing that 1. it's getting a PC port and 2. that it's getting an English localization.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Romancing Saga 3 is going to get a remaster as well just like RS2 did. Not sure if there's any value in remastering RS1 again since they could just rerelease Minstrel Song which is a RS1 remake. Just.. release it in Europe as well this time.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Steam page of SaGa: Scarlet Grace, for Japanese only release (English version is also coming in case you missed the news):

I just fear certain questionable Vita assets will be rearing their ugly head without some touching up.

ss_ab210fd8b8de7e3ca17cab05c435dbec65ac739a.1920x1080.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How the game looks like is more of a choice than something done due to budget limitations. If you're familiar with SaGa games, they always have a unique style to them, disregarding the Romancing games that look like a typical SNES era RPGs. Kawazu is a huge fan of PnP and board games and you can always see the influences in the design and presentation of his games.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
More furry games!
https://gematsu.com/2018/07/little-...fugue-on-the-battlefield-launches-summer-2019
Little Tail Bronx 20th anniversary title Fugue on the Battlefield launches summer 2019
Plus other tidbits on CyberConnect2's self-published titles.

Fugue on the Battlefield, the Little Tail Bronx 20th anniversary title first announced by CyberConnect2 in February, will launch in summer 2019, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.
The following are tidbits from the magazine’s interview with CyberConnect2 president and CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama:
  • We are dividing up the work between our studios, such as having the settings and image boards made in Japan, and the graphics animations made by our Montreal studio.
  • Three months after we release Fugue on the Battlefield, we will release Tokyo Ogre Gate. And three months after that, we will release Cecile.
  • We’re preparing physical versions. There will also be limited editions.
  • Since our self-published titles eliminate non-game elements as much as possible, you won’t hear much details about the setting and worldview in the game. To make up for it, we’re preparing a prequel manga for each game.
  • The Tokyo Ogre Gate manga is 51 pages long and drawn by Itsuki Hoshi.
  • We’re also considering a plot that we can serialize and then collect in volumes. I’m hoping we can even make them into anime someday.
All of CyberConnect2’s self-published games are planned for a worldwide release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
LMAO the edge, grimdark gonna grimdark. Based on various source the plots of their 3 games in development are :
- a girl who lost her friends and her heart which was replaced by an unknown tech in a tokyo linked with hell
- 4 sisters figthing each other because their mother force them to, not without removing the legs of one of them because she liked to dance and similar things in the process
- 11 children, lone survivors of an attack on their village, who pilot a tank whose weapon works by sacrificing crew members' life.
200.gif

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Touhou Luna Nights, a Metroidvania by Team Ladybug (Shin Megami Tensei Synchronicity Prologue, Pharaoh Rebirth)

ss_70a874df93a0eaff3bf41667941c3dc27cb288b8.600x338.jpg

Vorark

Erudite
Digimon Survive announced for PS4, Switch
https://gematsu.com/2018/07/digimon-survive-announced-for-ps4-switch

Survive in a dangerous world.

The latest issue of Weekly Jump reveals Digimon Survive, a survival simulation RPG centered on story and choices for PlayStation 4 and Switch. It will launch in 2019.

The protagonist of Digimon Survive is a boy named Takuma Momotsuka, a second-year middle school student who is suddenly transported from camp to a dangerous world where life-threatening monsters wander about. Together with his partner Digimon Agumon, he will boldly face his severe situation and embark on a survival adventure in order to return home.

Here are some details:
  • Your Choices Affect Digivolution and the Story – The choices you make during your adventure will change the development of the story, as well as the monsters you can Digivolve during battle. There are various possibilities. While conversation scenes use 2D illustrations, they are depicted with 3D-esque spatial presentation.
  • Explore Another World – The keys to the story are hidden at various points on the field. Point and click at locations of interest to investigate.
  • Simulation Battles Where Choice Determines Victory – Move your Digimon partners around the field and fight against enemies. During battle, “Energy” is used to perform actions, including Digivolution. Skillfully utilizing your Energy is the key to victory.
The official website will be available here.

It should be noted that Digimon Survive is not the new Digimon Story title series producer Kazumasa Habu first teased back in December 2017.

Digimon SRPG? Maybe it could be like Devil Survivor? :bounce:

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Such a weird premise for a digimon game lol, but it does make sense if you think about it, albeit in a very goofy way.

lightbane

Arcane
Such a weird premise for a digimon game lol, but it does make sense if you think about it, albeit in a very goofy way.

It actually makes perfect sense: In the legendary first season, the protagonists are dumped in an hyper-hostile world where everything and everyone is eager to eat them, being attacked shortly after arriving. Moreover, stuff like having to find food to eat and such was briefly touched upon. Thus this game is more in line with the original show than Digimon Tri, a sequel that's a textbook example of a disappointment.

I hope an emulator for the Switch is ready by 2019.

EDIT: Also, too bad that you're seemingly stuck with the boring Agumon.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think it's likely that Western release announcement will include PC release. Bamco these days release all sorts of anime games on PC simultaneously, so why not for Digimon?

(And I hope they retroactively release previous Digimon games on PC, like they did with Sword Art Online games.)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it's likely that Western release announcement will include PC release. Bamco these days release all sorts of anime games on PC simultaneously, so why not for Digimon?

(And I hope they retroactively release previous Digimon games on PC, like they did with Sword Art Online games.)

Coz Nintendo will find a way to make it Switch exclusive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom