Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Randomly Generated Items

Randomly Generated Items?

• Total voters

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
I understand you had set items in DD but they were still randomly placed into loot lists. You guys don't ever seem to want to put static items in the world.

The unique and set items in DD were in specific locations, or available from specific NPCs or quests. The unique and set items in D2DC were also hand-placed, and (unlike DD) had preset stats.
I didn't say more unique items would be added to random loot tables, or let alone that that would be the only way they were added.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, because you didn't say anything specific at all. That's why we had wildly different interpretations. You are like the bible. "It will have more unique and craftable gear" tells us nothing of the way such gear is acquired. I'm just uncharacteristically optimistic and think that it means "hand-placed loot".

or that that would be the only way they were added.

This also doesn't sound very reassuring.

Last edited:

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
To be more precise, replace 'or' in that sentence with with 'let alone'.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The unique and set items in DD were in specific locations, or available from specific NPCs or quests. The unique and set items in D2DC were also hand-placed, and (unlike DD) had preset stats.
I didn't say more unique items would be added to random loot tables, or let alone that that would be the only way they were added.

I guess your right..

The reason I thought they are part of a loot list was because they were shoved in random locations with no reason or backstory.
The helmet is in a cellar, The Belt is bought off a merchant and one is a quest reward and one is in a chest in a tomb. There's no hints about where they are or why. It just looks you made a set of items then said "fuck.. where do we put it.." and just started sticking it in places.

I mean really...

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
they were shoved in random locations with no reason or backstory.

Well, not quite random, but many were distributed to be found through exploration, rather than working them into the story or lore (some were in the possession of boss opponents, or required a quest to obtain).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Item design (that includes stats, lore, placement, appearance, context) is very tricky and requires creativity, but you guys have boatloads of that so I'm sure you'll figure it out. :obviously:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Well, not quite random, but many were distributed to be found through exploration, rather than working them into the story or lore (some were in the possession of boss opponents, or required a quest to obtain).

I have nothing against having set items spread around the world and having to go on a easter egg hunt for them with little help. That's really fun.
But when that is -every- unique item except your final armor set (Ulthrings).. Then what's the point?

Larian is so good at creating interesting side locations and memorable characters.
Breathe some life into those encounters with some nice item backstory.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Calling it now - level-scaled random items will trump all (static) uniques in the game given enough levels. They will also trump *all* low level uniques in general, so no Moonblade or Edwin's amulet for you. All items will also have a level requirement because of scaled randoms, so no low level Ankheg Plate for you.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Calling it now - level-scaled random items will trump all (static) uniques in the game given enough levels. They will also trump *all* low level uniques in general, so no Moonblade or Edwin's amulet for you. All items will also have a level requirement because of scaled randoms, so no low level Ankheg Plate for you.

Calling it now.. They don't give a shit about itemization despite that being the most hot topic issue for their games. There is Übermensch levels of backwards rationalizing going on about what people want from Divinity games.

Less Romance bullshit and more interesting items please.

TigerKnee

Arcane
It's kind of funny that RPG designers use random loot and then immediately remove the point of randomized loot by significantly downplaying the random aspect through level scaling and requirements.

In Nethack, you could potentially spawn a (Colour) Dragon Armour in the very first room of the game (though at a percentage chance akin to winning the lottery) and it would certainly make you feel powerful even though there are still a billion other ways to get yourself killed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Calling it now.. They don't give a shit about itemization despite that being the most hot topic issue for their games. There is Übermensch levels of backwards rationalizing going on about what people want from Divinity games.

Less Romance bullshit and more interesting items please.
:bro:

It's kind of funny that RPG designers use random loot and then immediately remove the point of randomized loot by significantly downplaying the random aspect through level scaling and requirements.

In Nethack, you could potentially spawn a (Colour) Dragon Armour in the very first room of the game (though at a percentage chance akin to winning the lottery) and it would certainly make you feel powerful even though there are still a billion other ways to get yourself killed.

I'm not entirely sure they *get* the point of items. It's not about changing your equipment every few levels like we are playing Barbie's Dress-up, but they seem to be going for that feel for some reason.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom