Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite Mafia in the series

• Total voters

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I am going to say that was not a bad thing because I definitely recall Mafia shooting mechanics being so ... different I died in that damn runout house so many times before I learned how to deal with then and then had barely any problems because I dont recall any problems outside that first mandatory shootout.

Mafia had its problems with the controls, cover based shooting in the 2nd one was simply standard implementation of mechanics of their times, better that Mafia since at least I didnt had to relearn controls.
What am I reading? Did you play the console version? Mafia 1 uses the same WASD control scheme as basically every other shooter (FPS or TPS) from that era, there's nothing weird about the controls. It's the standard implementation of 2002 shooter mechanics, a pretty excellent one actually. Mafia 2 is only more "standard" in the sense that it plays identically to the myriad other cover shooters from the past decade or so.

All in all, the way shooting is handled might just be the biggest single piece of decline that happened to the series after the first game.

Cadmus

Arcane
What a cheap thread. Of course Mafia 1 was the best and one of the best games of its time. I replayed it a few months ago and I got bored because I had played it so much already. But I think it still holds up, the graphics engine they used for it and also H&D2 is amazing, the game still looks good and the shooting and driving are well done. Problem is that the game is linear and very rarely lets you fuck around with its good mechanics so on a repeat playthrough when you already know the story, it can feel too slow.

I haven't played the rest of the games, they look unappealing.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:

PCGamer is saying that Mafia 1/2 Remaster(s) could be in the works due to Take-Two Interactive doin' some trademarkin'

Mafia and Mafia 2 trademarks hint at the possibility of remasters

It looks like Take-Two Interactive is getting back into the crime game. The publisher applied for a trio of trademarks last month, all relating to the Mafia series, hinting at the possibility of remasters.

The first two applications are for Mafia and Mafia 2, complete with their respective logos. They released in 2002 and 2011, but Take-Two applied for trademarks again on August 2. Trademarks have to be renewed, but only every ten years, suggesting this is something different.

A third application is also for Mafia, though without the stylised logo of the original. At first I wondered if it was a sequel, sans numeral, but it has a first use date that's the same as the first game. Presumably, it's simply trademarking the word as well the stylised version. A new game seems less likely than some remasters, then.

Mafia 3 took the series in an interesting direction, briefly, but devolved into simple, repetitive missions and a tired open-world structure that netted it a lukewarm reception. Its predecessors still have plenty of admirers, though, and the original especially feels like a great candidate for a makeover.

https://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-and-mafia-2-trademarks-hint-at-the-possibility-of-remasters/

YldriE

Learned
I replayed Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 earlier this year. Both games have solid writing and cinematography and are superb period pieces. I hope we're talking about remasters and not "reboots" or whatever.

I can understand an engine upgrade for Mafia 1, though anyone curious enough should / could have played it already, it's outdated for sure but still charming and expressive, we're not talking about LEGO 3D like late 90s games.

Mafia 2 on the other hand? By today's standards it's still a perfectly solid, slick and good-looking game, I'm not sure there is an urgent need to remaster it.

All three games are really good as they exist today, though there is no denying they could use a tornado of quality-of-life fixes, first of all the constant driving around.

------

As a side note, considering all the shit that got thrown at it, I was very, very pleasantly surprised by Mafia 3. Sure, if you don't like cover shooters the issue is settled before it even started, but as a cover shooter it's well done, with smooth controls, stealth that actually works and guns that feel powerful, not to mention the vicious melee executions. All of this of course accompanied by a glorious period-appropriate OST.

Even the "wokeness" was largely overstated: there are friends and enemies of all races, Donovan is a true bro, both he and Clay are anti-communist and it's not a set up for a later change of mind. Sure, the game does pick a side if you compare which race has the most serious assholes, but it's certainly not overdone like I expected: in any other game, any character shittalking Clay for being black would be a villain, or made to apologize or change his mind or whatever, whereas in this game, undoubtedly good and friendly characters have no qualms calling him a nigger to his face. Clay himself gets seriously politically incorrect at times, and best of all, thematically the best ending is favoring Vitto (the handsome White man in a tie suit) over the two others, so you get a satisfying conclusion to his life story and a post-scenario legacy that actually works and lasts, unlike the two others.

Again there is no denying that the writers do pick a side, but I'm sure there are better targets for a "get woke go broke" campaign.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Mafia 1 - Mona Lisa/Divine Comedy of video gaming art.
Mafia 2 - enjoyable popamole.
Mafia 3 - enjoyable shit popamole.

Dux

Arcane
I'll always cherish the first Mafia as one of the most pre-eminent gaming experiences of my adolescence. Few games are more immersive. The sound design is a bit flat at times but that's the only real criticism I have of it.

Mafia 2 was decent. It had a good enough storyline and the graphics were absolutely outstanding.

The time shift when Vito is in jail and then comes out to a new world - with different music and cars - was a sublime touch. Really memorable stuff and something which hinted at greatness.

Alas, despite Mafia 2's initial promise there's just not enough to it; not enough incentive to actually explore the city and soak in the atmosphere. It doesn't stick like the first game.

Mafia 2 could've been decent-ish if it had more actual gameplay in it. From what I recall it was more of a walking/driving simulator for most part. Mafia 1 also had its downtimes but there was plenty of gameplay as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom