Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry - open world pirate action-RPG from Two Worlds developer

pippin

Yeah, I think some people are overreacting when it comes to this game. It doesn't seem that broken (not Unity broken, for instance), it's just bad.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yeah, that sure wasn't a knee-jerk reaction or anything.

After slugging through 17 hours of the game, a bug in a story portion of the game--where there was only one way back to the overworld out of the labyrinthine temple I'd been exploring--crashed my computer over and over again at the same point. I turned the game off, came back a couple of hours later, and tried again. The game crashed again. And I'd had enough.

Axe Father

Savant
Has there even really been a great example of a pirate RPG? The concept has been around for a while. I remember playing Uncharted Waters: New Horizons back in the day, but even that was more of a light sim game than an RPG. If you want to see the mid-nineties KOEI take on Sid Meier's Pirates!, that game might be worth a look for some of you out there, even if its skirting the line of 'RPG'.

Morkar Left

Has there even really been a great example of a pirate RPG? The concept has been around for a while. I remember playing Uncharted Waters: New Horizons back in the day, but even that was more of a light sim game than an RPG. If you want to see the mid-nineties KOEI take on Sid Meier's Pirates!, that game might be worth a look for some of you out there, even if its skirting the line of 'RPG'.

PotC with New Horizons mod or AoP2:CoaS. The stories are all pretty linear and the engines are pretty clunky for rpgs but they have theoretically everything that qualifies for an rpg. And all the pirates sim stuff is in place of course.

I haven't played Risen 2 and 3 but they are fully rpgs in a pirate setting.

There was an ambitious campaign for NWN2. I think it was calles Dark Waters. Pretty cool but not too big.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
nwn-pirates-of-the-sword-coast-02.jpg

:thumbsup:

Axe Father

Savant

PotC with New Horizons mod or AoP2:CoaS. The stories are all pretty linear and the engines are pretty clunky for rpgs but they have theoretically everything that qualifies for an rpg. And all the pirates sim stuff is in place of course.

I haven't played Risen 2 and 3 but they are fully rpgs in a pirate setting.

There was an ambitious campaign for NWN2. I think it was calles Dark Waters. Pretty cool but not too big.

I'll be sure to take a look at everything you mentioned. I somehow never even considered mods or modules for existing games. Thanks for the suggestions.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This game apparently sucks hard but that whiny Gamespot review made me want to try it.

When Raven's Cry writing is memorable, it becomes so for all the wrong reasons. Though it has seemingly been patched out since launch, the "barks" of your ship's crew mostly consist of gendered and homophobic slurs. I haven't heard the male iteration of the "c" word this often since Deadwood (and with none of David Milch's redemptive style). And don't worry. The female "c" word pops up just as often as well. Christopher openly insults black people in the face of his black first mate--who disappears for seemingly no reason early in the game. And, also early in the game, Christopher physically assaults a sex worker to gain information for a quest. Villains casually joke about rape. Tribal natives are treated as mindless cannibal savages that you slaughter in high numbers. The game has the cultural sensitivity of Birth of a Nation, and I needed a bath to wash away the grime of this game's world every time I stopped playing.

:lol:

pippin

It's like the Parental Advisory effect. They are giving you yet another reason to piss them off.

FUDU

Arcane
Here is his twitter feed https://twitter.com/dsaas89

Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/don.saas.9

Comes off as kind of an arrogant jackass. Kevin Van Ord too.

Pretty sure they're f@#k buddies. Kinda sounds like kevin is the one taking loads to the f4c3.

I mean he's pretty much s@%king his cock, right on twitter.

Quote from fb page.

People have left like 400 comments on that review I linked to yesterday, and it looks I pissed off GooberGate misogynists/MRAs who are accusing me of being some radical, Marxist bleeding heart pinko SJW. And, I mean, they're not wrong.

Can't find the "You're an enormus douche" gif.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Sea Dogs is pretty much the closest you can get. The only problem is that it's bugged to hell and back.

Durian Eater

Learned
Docking points from a game that takes place in the seventeenth century because it contains "racism, sexism and homophobia"? If I didn't think that Gamespot hired these people solely in a cynical bid to attract troll clicks, I'd have to shake my head.

(The score is accurate, though.)

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a tale of deeply unsettling gendered violence and racist slaughter played for casual drama. The tale's written in the language of cheap misogyny and homophobia

LOL. Reviewer cannot into historical realism. :troll:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck it, I will play this game. It can't be worse than risen 3, or than ME3, or than AC3.

Yes, I'm a sucker for pirates.

Hint:
10413.jpg

Maschtervoz

Learned
When Raven's Cry writing is memorable, it becomes so for all the wrong reasons. Though it has seemingly been patched out since launch, the "barks" of your ship's crew mostly consist of gendered and homophobic slurs. I haven't heard the male iteration of the "c" word this often since Deadwood (and with none of David Milch's redemptive style). And don't worry. The female "c" word pops up just as often as well. Christopher openly insults black people in the face of his black first mate--who disappears for seemingly no reason early in the game. And, also early in the game, Christopher physically assaults a sex worker to gain information for a quest. Villains casually joke about rape. Tribal natives are treated as mindless cannibal savages that you slaughter in high numbers. The game has the cultural sensitivity of Birth of a Nation, and I needed a bath to wash away the grime of this game's world every time I stopped playing.
:butthurt:

When you begin to think that bands of seafaring criminals are supposed to bark culturally sensitive, unoffensive and inclusive friendly remarks at each other, it's probably time to log out of tumblr and try making contact with the real world again. Or even better, do the human gene pool a favor and put yourself out of your misery.

Dexter

Arcane
Isn't Gothic II: Night of the Raven also pretty much all pirate-themed?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom