Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry - open world pirate action-RPG from Two Worlds developer

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like popamole ARPGs. Unfortunately the only one coming out in the near future that doesn't look like complete shovelware shit is Witcher 3.
Damn, you said what I wanted to say before I said it.

I don't consider DAI a "popamole arpg" of course. And South Park is a popamole action turn-based RPG. And Cyberpunk, DX:New Subtitle, and Ian Frazier's Mass Effect 4 are too far off in the future.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was referring to games like Demonicon, Risen 3, Bound by Flame, and now this.

But yeah, sure, Witcher 3 is definitely the cream of that crop. And the jury is still out on DA:I.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Demonicon was released last year and it was awful. Bound by Flame is from the developer of Mars: War Logs, more awfulness. I guess it's a great time if you're a European shovelware aficionado.

Dragula

Augur
Seems like in addition to the Kickstarter/Retro Revolushun, it's also kind of a golden age for popamole ARPGs lately, if you're into that sort of thing.

And a golden age for good (read: Japanese) action-RPGs, if you're into that sort of thing.
Good and japanese in the same sentence? Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls are the only games I can think of that have been above mediocre.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
This does look like a cheap Risen 2 knockoff but I'll still keep an eye on it. Regarding the upcoming APRGs, I wouldn't be so quick to call Witcher 3 the cream of the crop, it's gonna have best graphics and probably writing as well but there's no guarantee they'll deliver on the gameplay front (I personally found two Witcher games to be atrocious in that regard) and I also haven't given up hope on PB yet, if they play to their strengths (they're not exactly a versatile/flexible studio, they can execute one formula extremely well) Risen 3 might still turn out good.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Why did I need to puke when I saw the first screenshot? Oh... pirates... :quadruple facepalm

norolim

Arcane
Reality Pump? Do they even have enough people to make a game, after CD Projekt took most of their staff to form the Krakow studio?

norolim

Arcane
Yeah, CD Projekt basically swept the local market clear of all talent, when they opened their new studio in Krakow. The head of Reality Pump admitted that they had problems finding new staff, on a couple of occasions and even pointed to CD Projekt as a reason. The rumor is that indeed, many of the CD Projekt employees in their Krakow studio, previously worked for Reality Pump.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You forgot Lords of The Fallen.

CD Projekt basically swept the local market clear of all talent, when they opened their new studio in Krakow. The head of Reality Pump admitted that they had problems finding new staff, on a couple of occasions and even pointed to CD Projekt as a reason. The rumor is that indeed, many of the CD Projekt employees in their Krakow studio, previously worked for Reality Pump.
Yup, I think they are making either Cyberpunk or some other yet unannounced game (can't remember which of these).

Last edited:
Good and japanese in the same sentence? Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls are the only games I can think of that have been above mediocre.

I suppose it depends on where one anchors mediocre.

No matter what, Dragon's Dogma and the Souls series completely blow any of their "Western" competition out of the water. And, important to note, all three (soon to be four) are quite recent. There's a trend of incline with the Japs producing some quality action-RPGs with depth and gameplay actually worth writing home about. When's the last time a "Western" studio did the same?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
"Let's copy Oblivion"
"Let's copy Assassins Creed 4"

It seems they constantly try to jump the bandwagon. "Me wanz also piece of cake!!1"

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For some reason, I also have the feeling this is going to be a land-pirate thing, for the sake of being pirate themed.
But I'd like to see more, maybe we are all wrong and they just showed the wrong screenshots so far.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I actually found the pirate/colonial theme in Risen 2 to be one of that game's few good points. It's a setting that doesn't get much RPG love really, despite it being arguably overdone in other genres. One of the decent aspects to Two Worlds 2 was actually their interesting takes on African and Asian settings as well, so... I'm interested. You never know. Gameplay matters most, obviously.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Well, I enjoyed both Two Worlds, and I also enjoy all these popamole arpgs from middle-sized studios that keep coming out recently. Oh and the pirate theme is a big bonus.

I have been following this for a while, though during the time it has been in development there has been little information or promotional material. I don't know if it has to do with the quality of the game, or is just the standard procedure with those small publishers.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, I enjoyed both Two Worlds, and I also enjoy all these popamole arpgs from middle-sized studios that keep coming out recently. Oh and the pirate theme is a big bonus.
I'm finally getting around to playing Two Worlds II. I've lost my enthusiasm for ARPG's, but I do like the open world and just wandering around in Two Worlds, exploring. Definitely pretty safe. Also, the style wasn't too bad. It really grows on me like Gothic 3 grew on me. I would give this new title a shot, but seems a lot more action than rpg for my tastes.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Yeah the pirate expansion was pretty good, with some interesting quests . Along with the swamp chapter in the base game, I'd say those were the high points of the title.

Ptosio

Arcane
From the new interview (http://www.gry-online.pl/S018.asp?ID=1021&STR=1)

- the setting will be less like Risen 2 and more like ACIV - that is, low-magic, rather realistic 18th century Caribbean islands.
- each island will be separate, this won't be one big sandbox, but there will be some naval combat implemented
- we play as a smuggler in search for vengeance
- main weapons are swords, pistols and the hook. There is also auxiliary raven (?)

The Reality Pump's CEO didn't sound too enthusiastic while discussing the game, it seems he preferred to talk about further projects.

Raven's Cry is something that was imposed on us from above. At first, we were asked to help the Finns from Octan Games. The challenge seems to have outgrown them and later it turned out they simply could not be helped and we had to start the whole game all over.
(...)
The work started in all honesty in August 2013. The release date is October 2014. We're among the smallest teams doing the big games, if not the smallest
[they've also lost quite a bunch of experienced people to CDProjekt since Two Worlds 2]. We're terribly time restricted, the pace we're doing this game with makes us terrified, we've never worked so hard.

So, I would rather not hold high hopes for this one:P

175849007.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom