Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry - open world pirate action-RPG from Two Worlds developer

Bruticis

So I was just perusing the upcoming releases on Steam and noticed Raven's Cry is due November 27. Uh, what is it? I've never even heard of it until now but it looks interesting. I'm slightly disappointed to see it's being developed by Reality Pump, everyone's favorite Polish developers, no doubt. I haven't really seen any press info or coverage on it at all and I only found a couple of one sentence blurbs on the dex. I know the whole pirate thing has been played to death but what's the Kodex hive mind on this games? Is this getting any attention in the 3rd world shit hole that is Europe? Is this gone be shit or GOTY shit? I've got high hopes based on the curators:
Recommended By Curators
"Recommended for fans of choice and consequence. Decisions influence the story and character interactions, creating a unique gaming experience."

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
175849007.jpg

I fucking love this pic. This is how I imagine Commissar Draco to look like :outrage:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I hope it will be at least as good as Sea Dogs many years ago .

From what I've seen of it, it could potentially end up like that. Unless they fuck it up. Which is likely.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Kind of understandable. CD Projekt raided his studio and took most of his employees. Then this project they never wanted was forced down his throat by publisher.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am hoping this will be at least as bad (story-wise) as Blood Knights, which I am playing at the moment. As a long-time connoisseur of trash, I am enjoying it greatly.

Too bad that so many B-movie style games that have So Bad It's Good story also usually have So Bad It's Terrible gameplay. Marlow Briggs was one of the notable exceptions.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Some interesting bitz from an interview with the potato equivalent of IGN:

The Finns from Octane, from whom you took the game, wanted to add magic to the game, but you decided to remove it.

We are trying to clearly separate two things: magic and superstition. We used many elements that would seem "magical" to the contemporaries, but that was only due to their superstitions. If we use potions that give combat modifiers or poison the enemy, then this simply isn't magic. Just take some plants from those regions, mix them and bind them using a decent basis (i.e. spirytus rektyfikowany spirit) and... well, it's hard to deny the effects, but it's all biochemistry, not magic. We aren't using any fireballs, and we've also managed to avoid enchantments. A raven, for instance, is as physical as you can get, but in many cultures it was considered an ill omen (usually foretelling a storm), and this is why the natives could fear it. We tried to use nuances of that kind.

In press releases, you claim that you will present 'a story that can really be influenced'. How non-linear is Raven's Cry?

I don't want to spoil anything, but, for example, we have different endings...

How many?

Two, and that is all we need ( :lol: ). The ending depends on the decisions the player makes at key points of the plot. Not every quest has 50 thousand branches, but choices will happen, and they will influence both the course of the quest and the ending.

Before we see the endings, the main story will take us some 25 hours, but there will also be side activities. What kind? Gathering Animus fragments?

We don't want to have any artificial gameplay lengthening, which, by the way, is not completely nonsensical, because there is a big group of collectors among gamers. We didn't implement any collecting of notes, feathers or post-it-notes. There are normal side quests that don't influence the main story, but let you have fun by spending time in the game world - by sailing out to seek treasures, challenging someone to a duel, trading or taking part in a brawl.

You want to make a brutal game...

But without gore.

Yes, that. PEGI gave you a "sixteen". Is it really possible to create a mature story with that label? ( :roll: )

We are always aiming for a sixteen because it's a good limit. It closes some doors - we can't show any guts or decapitations... but I don't think that shedding blood by the gallons is so crucial for the atmosphere. Emotions become bigger when we let ourselves do something implicit. "Alien" made a much bigger impression than the later "Aliens" exactly because it avoided being explicit at all cost ( :obviously: ). The first part, despite having the smallest budget, had the best, most mature atmosphere. We should all strive to use implicit themes - they are the ones that engage us emotionally. You also have to be careful when you are explicit, especially when it could potentially turn out tasteless.

I also love how the opening question was "How does it feel to work on Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag?". Really professional, dickhead.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I also love how the opening question was "How does it feel to work on Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag?". Really professional, dickhead.

Based on the gameplay video I posted.. it looks like Risen 3.. exactly..

Assassin's Creed IV my ass.. The only 'parkour' you will see in this game is jump spamming across boxes and getting stuck in a wall.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They delayed the release until Nov 27, when that didn't pan out they delayed it again, this time it supposedly comes out Dec 16.

Doesn't look good.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
.... wasn't this supposed to come out a year or so ago?

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I actually like pirates. And I've always wanted an amazing pirate RPG. I've never seen one...but I've always wanted one.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom