Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real Battlefront 3 is being made by modders - 'Galaxy in Turmoil'

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

3024233-hoth.jpg

3056313-ywing.jpg

3056323-new2.jpg

Game runs on Unreal Engine 4
Undecided about split-screen.
Don't expect it on Steam, since it's an unlicensed game.
Game is in pre-alpha currently; all plans are subject to change.
All classic Battlefront game modes will be available, while Frontwire is creating a new mode designed around competitive play.
Matches will be 32v32 players; AI will fill in for players who drop out mid-match.
Will include original Battlefront III maps and some new ones.
Support for Battlefield II maps it to be determined; could be added as DLC.
Development won't end at 1.0 release; more content will be added later.
Will include multiplayer because "it's not Battlefront without multiplayer."
Mod support could come after launch.
Developers are looking at all eras of Star Wars; fans can add their own content with mods.
No Star Cards like DICE's new Battlefront.
There will be pickups for things like health packs and ammo drops.
No health generation.
Aims to be faithful to the original Battlefront games.
Some maps have a day/night cycle.
Frontwire hopes to make a new IP after releasing Galaxy in Turmoil.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I expect that they're just making sure not to use any trademarks and stuff like that.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
No, Valve just lets copyright infringing games on steam greenlight for whatever reason, as soon as Disney sends a C&D to Valve or the Developer it'll get taken down. The developer is even using assets from the leaked build of Battlefront 3 lol

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...licensed-star-wars-battlefront-successor.aspx

Romanelli says in a blog post on the company website that Valve has agreed to publish the game. We reached out to him for clarification regarding the nature of the relationship.

"I'll admit - that was poor choice of words on my part," Romanelli told us. "Valve has agreed to do nothing more than ship our game on Steam. We're not receiving any publishing benefits in the sense of funding, marketing, PR and/or anything else that is generally included in publishing deals. In addition, I can't speak for Valve, nor was I trying to speak for Valve by stating they do not share the same concern as many other do about the legal side of our project. It was simply an observation on my end as I personally feel that if Valve thought for even a second that there could be a potential legal issue with our arrangement, we would not be able to ship via Steam.

We also asked him about the advice Frontwire has received from legal counsel. According to Romanelli, Galaxy in Turmoil is classified as a parody.

"Our counsel has advised us that we currently fall into three of the four major defenses for Fair Use claims," he told us via email. "Due to the nature of the campaign we are developing, we can be classed as a parody. We're re-imagining a lot of what Star Wars is as well by creating everything from the ground up. This includes models, textures, sounds, etc. In addition, we're actually using this as a tool for educational purposes. We're not sticklers about who can help us. As long as you have a working understanding of your craft and you are open to learning from those more experienced, we'll teach you along the way. We have some amazing coders that know very little about modeling. We have amazing modelers teaching those very coders how to model characters. Our team is currently helping others learn tools of the trade that can help them in the future."

Morrison / Lee co-founder Ryan Morrison specializes in video game law and has founded the Fair Use Protection Account. The account is designed to help victims of copyright trolls and unfair copyright takedowns. He believes that despite Romanelli's confidence, Frontwire is in for some trouble.

“You would be hard pressed to find a stronger advocate for fair use on the internet than myself, but this game is in no way fair use,” Morrison tells us. “It actually infuriates me to see people spreading such terrible misinformation throughout various websites, especially journalists, because it encourages other developers to do the same. It quite literally ruins lives. It doesn't take more than a five second Google search to see this game has nothing to do with parody law. And if you further examine fair use, you will see it is a defense, not a right. Not charging for your product is a factor in fair use, but not the end all be all. You can't just remake a game start to finish, utilizing every asset of the original, and pretend it's okay because it's free. After so many games have been taken down over similar [circumstances], and after so many developers' lives have been ruined from this, it's just the definition of insanity at this point.“

Morrison also takes Frontwire’s representation of the Valve arrangement to task, suggesting that Valve’s agreement to distribute isn’t the same as a publishing deal. While Valve self-publishes, the company doesn’t actively have that arrangement with third-party developers.

“Steam works the same as the Apple app store, where they basically let everything up, and only take things down when they get a report under the DMCA take-down procedure,” Morrison says. “That leaves the developer and his team homeless after Disney or EA comes after them, and Valve without any risk at all. This developer said they spoke with an attorney, and if they did, shame on that attorney.“

“I love fair use, and I love free speech,” Morrison says. “This game is neither. Some free advice for the developer, take this game down yesterday.”

:popcorn:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Putting this game up on Steam, and sending information for the press just makes it a bigger target for Disney and EA. They WILL get a C&D letter from them, I'm pretty sure about that. They should have just shut about it and distribute it through mod sites and torrents.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They are even using the original assets from the cancelled battlefront 3 ? :lol:

funkadelik

Arcane
These guys can't be that retarded. What is their ulterior motive behind this?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yep, squashed by Lucasarts and EA: http://frontwirestudios.com/the-future-of-galaxy-in-turmoil/

Now they're going with their own universe, still as a free game.

Dear Galaxy in Turmoil community,

It is with a humble heart that I’m writing this message to you, the community. As of late, we have been creating a big media buzz with the announcement of our on Steam distribution deal. We have garnered a growing fan base of over 30,000 people in a little over three months. We have showcased original music and even announced our new charity The Frontwire Foundation, none of which could have been made possible without the support from all of you. It’s crazy! Our hopes have been so high, we could almost touch the clouds. That is why the nature of this letter is so bitter-sweet.

On Wednesday June 22, 2016, we received a letter from Lucasfilm requesting that we halt production of Galaxy in Turmoil with any Star Wars related IP at once. Rather than laying down at the first sign of trouble, I requested a meeting with the Lucasfilm executives to discuss our project and to find some common ground to work with. Honestly, I didn’t expect too much negotiation to occur. But much to my surprise, executives at the top of Lucasfilm agreed to meet. A week later, that meeting took place.

I had the pleasure of sitting down via phone and speaking with two of the top decision makers at Lucasfilm. Before I go any further, let it be known that the people I spoke with are really great people and it was a pleasure to be able to speak with them. I only wish we were able to speak and conduct business on different terms.

During our meeting, there was a fair share of both lighthearted and serious moments. LucasFilm informed me that although they would of been open to the idea of negotiating a license for Frontwire to work on the Star Wars IP, that they are not able to due to their contract with Electronic Arts (EA). I was told that Lucasfilm had already spoken with EA about Galaxy in Turmoil and that EA expressed no desire in letting our project continue. Their main concern was due to the possibility of Galaxy in Turmoil taking away attention from their Battlefront franchise. I tried to pitch the idea about putting Galaxy in Turmoil behind EA’s paywall but was told that EA had previously rejected that proposition as well. Due to their exclusive contract with EA, Lucasfilm was contractually obligated to deny our request for the use of the Star Wars IP for Galaxy in Turmoil based on EA’s decision. We tried to reach out to EA directly for more information, but we have so far gotten no response.

Let me stop for a moment. I do not for a second hold any grudge against Electronic Arts and/or Lucasfilm, and neither should our community. The Star Wars brand is a highly valuable and lucrative brand. I would expect nothing less from Lucasfilm than to do everything they can to protect and preserve their intellectual property. As for EA they have an extremely expensive and profitable production contract with Lucasfilm. Likewise, EA has done what they felt they needed to do and if I were in the same position, I hope I would also do anything to protect my golden egg. While I do wish EA would realize that backing a free fan game would actually be an effective way to help and promote their brand, their decision is final, and we as both a business and as a community must respect that.

While I and our attorneys still believe that we fall under the Fair Use law, I have no desire to get into any type of legal battle with Lucasfilm, and lose due to the sheer amount of money Lucasfilm has. As a businessman, I have enough respect for other companies and their intellectual properties to not put up a fight that should not be fought in the first place. At the end of the day Star Wars is Lucasfilm’s property, and they have every right to request Frontwire stop using their IP, even if we believe that we were within legal limits. In a perfect world, they will see we were team players and we may just have the chance to work with them in the distant future.

Most likely, you are asking yourself “what does this mean for Galaxy in Turmoil?“ Our highly publicized project as you have come to know it will no longer be a Star Wars game inspired by Battlefront. However, there is a new hope (Sorry, I had to slip that in!). Upon speaking with Lucasfilm, they informed us that they have no issue with a Battlefront inspired game that is not using the Star Wars IP itself. Regardless of what some have said, all of our code, sounds and many other non-Star Wars assets have been created in-house, which means they are indeed owned by us.

Going forward, Frontwire Studios will be pivoting away from Star Wars and embarking on a mission to create a new, original game in a never before seen universe. Our game will still have massive 64-player battles, ground-to-space combat, destructible capital ships, and a full single-player campaign. We will also still be releasing Galaxy in Turmoil on Steam as planned and it will remain a free game. No, we will not be adding any micro transactions or pay-to-win content. When Frontwire Studios makes a promise, we keep it. With that being said, we will still create the game you have all wanted and deserved, even if it turns out to not be Star Wars-related.

I am sure you are wondering about the monetary side of Galaxy in Turmoil. We do have plans to crowdfund GiT in the future. However, we have decided that we will not crowdfund until we can release a fully playable demo consisting of a single player mission & at least two multiplayer maps with a single gamemode. Too often have we seen video game projects crowdfund, make a boat load of cash and then die out leaving the community empty handed. We refuse to be another statistic. That’s why we’re not accepting any donations until we have something you can play first hand before deciding to back us monetarily. Our team has been hard at work creating this new universe and are excited to continue to share new and exciting information with you over the next coming weeks. For more information on the game’s progress, story and overall development, be sure to keep an eye on the game’s official website located at http://git.frontwirestudios.com

Now, being that Star Wars: Galaxy in Turmoil is no more, we have decided to release a few unreleased items from our project that were so painstakingly developed by the team. We hope you have enjoyed the experience and excitement Galaxy in Turmoil has brought thus far. Please stick around to see how we pivot to a brand new IP. I promise it will be something you will not want to miss out on. Our team had a creative meeting last night and let me be the first to tell you that we are all extremely excited about the new direction that GiT is taking, and we know the story we are going to put out will blow you away.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to hop onto our Discord server and ask one of our team members.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for your continued support of both Frontwire Studios and Galaxy in Turmoil. I look forward to continuing this ride together as we move forward with the brand new Galaxy in Turmoil universe.

All the best,

Tony Romanelli
President, Frontwire Studios

A horse of course

They're either complete dumbfucks or knew this was going to happen all along and wanted publicity for their own MP project.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who would have thought that this will happen?

"Oh but the project is in good hands, because we struck a distribution deal with Valve. They will defend us. Promise!"

Valve - LOL no you idiots!

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
The line between genius and dumbfuck is a thin one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom