Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Modron

Arcane
I member when the codex was kind of hyped about Goldenland and had preview articles for it shame only heath winded up getting translated as Goldenland looked like a much better game.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, Heath is surely a very limited experience. It's main focus is turn based combat, everything else is just an addition. If in Golden Land they managed to add more elements (exploration, choice & consequence etc.) it would surely be a superior title.

There was an initiative on RPG Watch to translate Golden Land from Spanish, but the project manager got burned out and left it in the middle of the work.

V_K

Arcane
If in Golden Land they managed to add more elements (exploration, choice & consequence etc.)
They didn't. The world is much larger and more coherent, also writing somewhat better (but it's really, really easy to be somewhat better than that mess), but the gameplay loop is the same: take a fedex quest, go to another town, fight a random encounter, deliver the item, get another fedex quest.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's funny how apart from Fallout 2 total conversions, almost all other crpgs Russians have made are abysmal.

Modron

Arcane
It's funny how apart from Fallout 2 total conversions, almost all other crpgs Russians have made are abysmal.
Everyone always overlooks Hammer and Sickle for some reason. If that was more successful who knows maybe they would have been able to make that Jagged Alliance 3 in the Silent Storm engine. I hope those ex-nival guys at Owlcat still have the touch and Pathfinder: Kingmaker turns out good.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I would not call "Heath: the Unchosen Path" abysmal. It's good for what it is and fortunately seems aware of this fact, hence it does not overstay its welcome.

There are some nice features there (falloutesque character development) that could form a foundation for a much better game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Everyone always overlooks Hammer and Sickle for some reason. If that was more successful who knows maybe they would have been able to make that Jagged Alliance 3 in the Silent Storm engine. I hope those ex-nival guys at Owlcat still have the touch and Pathfinder: Kingmaker turns out good.

almost all other crpgs Russians...

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, some more obscure titles coming up!

Alexander: The Heroes Hour (2004): Diablo meets Baldur's Gate (battles are RTwP) in ancient Greece - didn't hear anything good about it, but the setting is fresh.

624293-921007_20041129_005.jpg

624298-921007_20041129_010.jpg

624295-921007_20041129_007.jpg

War along the Mohawk (1998) - RTS with RPG elements, set during the Seven Years War in America (when the English and the French were fighting in Canada). Another fresh setting.
3093_50ffe739163cf.jpg

3093_50ffe7390c164.jpg

More coming soon!

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
War along the Mohawk (1998) - RTS with RPG elements
It's more of a real-time squad tactics. The only thing I remember about it mechanics-wise it's that your base's shops restocked by means of an actual carriage that the enemy could ambush on its way.

I like such realistic innovations. I remember some old, very obscure Polish strategy game, a bit similar to Warlords, HoMM or Age of Wonders. Anyway, there was this change from the usual formula, that your treasury was located in your capitol city. You did not have a magic credit card to pay for buildings and recruitment in other cities - you either had to fund it from locally levied taxes, or move the gold from your capitol to the city you wanted to develop. Ofcourse, such a convoy could be assaulted and money stolen. So you had to assign strong army units to travel with the cash. Propably in the long run it would become extremally tedious, but first time I encountered this I thought: it's a great idea! It made you actually care about your supply lines.

Anyway, the last chapter of the Obscure RPGs was quite short, only 2 titles. Time to make up for it. I found some more gems in the rough:

Cross of the Dutchman (2015): while the reviews are far from enthusiastic, this action RPG has one original feature: the historical setting of XVIth century Frisia (part of the Holy Roman Empire, today in Netherlands) and the story based on the folk legends of Pier Gerlofs Donia, a Dutch rebel against the Habsburg regime.
Cross-of-the-Dutchman-9.png

Cross-of-the-Dutchman-02-Stop-The-Boats.jpg

Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome (2003) - another fresh setting: ancient Germania during the (finally unsuccessful) conquest by Rome. You are a member of a Teutonic tribe and can ally with Rome or decide to defend your homeland against invaders. The game offers a branching story and historical realism.
teudogr4.jpg

teudogr2.jpg

teudogr3.jpg

teudogr6.jpg

teudogr9.jpg

And for the end I left the best find.

Fallout: Old York and Fallout: Old York - a New Hero - You want more Fallout campaigns to make you forget Fallout 4? So, I bring you not only one, but two brand new campaigns, located in post-nuclear New York! You will fight the Enclave, do sidequests, gather caps, improve your weapons and armor!

There is one caveat only: it's in RPGmaker engine :troll:
839464-fallout-the-old-york-windows-screenshot-title-screen-with.png

839466-fallout-the-old-york-windows-screenshot-intro-text.png

839471-fallout-the-old-york-windows-screenshot-receiving-your-mission.png

839472-fallout-the-old-york-windows-screenshot-exiting-the-vault.png

839480-fallout-the-old-york-windows-screenshot-a-side-quest.png

839483-fallout-the-old-york-windows-screenshot-this-will-be-a-hard.png

But let's face it: it's still propably better than Fallout 4.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny thing is, I bought Teudogar before it appeared in this thread, because I wanted to play it for a long time and finally remembered to buy it! :P

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I got up to a point where I kept harassing bandits and got jumped by four dudes who took me down and stole my pants.

10/10, would underestimate criminals again.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, I get it. Falling for Prima Aprilis joke two days after Prima Aprilis. Foolish me.

Too bad, the project seemed very sexy. A pity it's dead.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom