Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah I remember how I was waiting for The Fall: Last Days of Gaia after some preview I read on a magazine. It sounded perfect on paper. But then it got delayed a billion times and eventually got released filled with bugs and shitty content. Woohoo.

Kron

Arcane
Lord_Potato said:
What is really interesting is Chicago 1930. I'm really curious about this game, even though it has some poorreviews.

Chicago 1930 is, sadly, shit.
While Desperados and Robin Hood are ok Commandos clones, and boast some really nice isometric backgrounds, specially Robin Hood, Chicago 1930 was probably a game that was made on the devs' last legs. The setting seems interesting, but the background sceneries are, while passable, much more stiff and lack that organic attention to detail the previous games had.
And the gameplay is proper crap; the game completely lacks the diverse array of tools that should allow you to tackle opponents in different ways. You'll be running around in real time shooting guys with shotguns and thompsons, and it becomes mindless and repetitive very fast.
Not recommended.

PorkBarrellGuy

Does Moraff's Dungeons of the Unforgiven count? I picked that up a long time ago on a 5.25" shareware floppy and played the hell out of it on my shitty old 286 with a CGA adapter.

Murk

Arcane
Does Moraff's Dungeons of the Unforgiven count? I picked that up a long time ago on a 5.25" shareware floppy and played the hell out of it on my shitty old 286 with a CGA adapter.

Calm down sparky, you'll prove you're an old sk00l gamer yet, don't bust your load all at once.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The sad part is I actually had the whole Evil Islands series (1 and 2, right?) but I never got to play them because I had a lot of distractions at the time (sports and non-computer games plus school, IIRC). They came as part of a pack with another game, which is the one I truly wanted. By the time I got around to it, the game disks were corrupted beyond repair even though they had stayed in the drawer all this time.
I thought that Evil Islands was sequel for Rage of Mages 1 & 2.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The sad part is I actually had the whole Evil Islands series (1 and 2, right?) but I never got to play them because I had a lot of distractions at the time (sports and non-computer games plus school, IIRC). They came as part of a pack with another game, which is the one I truly wanted. By the time I got around to it, the game disks were corrupted beyond repair even though they had stayed in the drawer all this time.
It is, and then Evil Islands had a sequel of its own, before it went MMO.
Grimwulf'd know.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is called football not soccer!
You forget where I am. I say football here, even if it is the right term for the roundball game, they think I am referring to the biggest bunch of girly men ever to put on a pair of tights.
I am not forgetting from where you are from. Just call it football,if a bunch of retarded americans can't understand you then that is their problem! Don't stoop to their level mate! That one sounded like you are becoming tolerant and progressive individual. What is next mate,calling trannies with their chosen pronoun? How will americans learn that it is called football without hammering it?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Evil Islands was notable for being the first commercially released fantasy-based game where the central protagonist is homosexual, even though he does not mention his sexuality, and neither the game's writers, nor the developers, nor the artists, nor the coders, nor the voice actors nor anyone at all associated with the production and promotion of this game have intentionally imparted even the slightest gayness into the character. But he was gay. Of this there could be no doubt. No doubt at all.
you sure about that?
Finale says otherwise, including reunite with his girlfriend and shaman. It was baffling to find out our hero belong to ancient race and they did not recognized him because his skin is bleached for 99% of the game. IB4 we wuz...
or I just miss the sarcasm

Grimwulf'd know.
Not sequel but standalone addon made by fans of the game, who made mod called Lost in Astrale, make it commercial product only avaliabe in soviet union. There is only fan-made potato translation, no english. LiA is even easier than basic Evil Island because your DEX is high and you quickly acquire spear, which is best weapon type in the game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Rage of Mages and Evil Islands are all part of Аллоды series, but the trademark (Аллоды) was owned by Buka (sumth like Russian EA), while Rage of Mages were made by 1C. By the time Evil Islands came out, they had a quarrel of some sorts, so 1C came up with a new title.

Not like it matters, since Rage of Mages has nothing in common with Evil Islands. And by "nothing" I mean NOTHING. Not a damn thing.

When will the Codex ban rus rpgs and everyone who mentions them?

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Gun - a western RPG, about gunslingers and shit
Isn't that just wild west GTA clone?
Not really that obscure.
Yeah, now I see it's on GOG. So really not so obscure. I also heard about Fall: the last days of Gaia. What is really interesting is Chicago 1930. I'm really curious about this game, even though it has some poor reviews.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/623920/Chicago_1930__The_Prohibition/

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Rage of Mages and Evil Islands are all part of Аллоды series, but the trademark (Аллоды) was owned by Buka (sumth like Russian EA), while Rage of Mages were made by 1C. By the time Evil Islands came out, they had a quarrel of some sorts, so 1C came up with a new title.

Not like it matters, since Rage of Mages has nothing in common with Evil Islands. And by "nothing" I mean NOTHING. Not a damn thing.

When will the Codex ban rus rpgs and everyone who mentions them?
Aren't you a bit too harsh ? The fact that some (or many) are shit doesn't mean that every single one is unplayable. People enjoyed some of them, non-Russians included.

Cael

Arcane
It is called football not soccer!
You forget where I am. I say football here, even if it is the right term for the roundball game, they think I am referring to the biggest bunch of girly men ever to put on a pair of tights.
I am not forgetting from where you are from. Just call it football,if a bunch of retarded americans can't understand you then that is their problem! Don't stoop to their level mate! That one sounded like you are becoming tolerant and progressive individual. What is next mate,calling trannies with their chosen pronoun? How will americans learn that it is called football without hammering it?
Americans? Ooooo! You are going to burn in Hell for that one. You and the rest of your Hollywood mates.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Today I decided to try one of the games mentioned in the thread.

I chose Parhedros, because the demo is available from the developers website. As you may see below, the game is ugly as fuck, and poor art direction does not help. Neither do pixelated boobs. Anyway, the character creation was very promising, akin to Arcanum. 4 races, rolling lots of numerous stats (and more skills to come later!), choosing your traits of character and the group/faction in faerie society to which you belong. Very nice. Than during an intro you get a quest from the faerie queen and off you go to the dungeon.

00227073.jpg

You walk around the dungeon in a veeeeeeryyyyyyyy slooooooooow maaaaaaaaaneeeeeeer and I guess there is no option to run. Combat is turn-based and actually quite challenging. When you meet one of the few NPCs, you can speak with them by typying words and receiving answers. The system seems quite well developed and you can get different reactions based on what you write. Not that the conversation does make any sense, though...

However the game is not very playable. Walking is too slow, enemies, even the first ones you meet are very powerful and eat your for breakfast. There is no savegame function - in theory the game should save itself every few seconds, but each time I died a save from the very begining of the dungeon loaded. So, it's basically a roguelike. With rich NPC interactions, or something. And pretty developed magic system.

Plus there is photoshopped nudity (during loading screens) and songs when you pray to the statues or cast spells.

All in all, a very bizarre experience. I do not really understand, what the creators of this game tried to achieve. An intriguing, but finally completely wasted effort.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
As you may see below, the game is ugly as fuck, and poor art direction does not help. Neither do pixelated boobs.
What am I hearing. Heresy ! Pixelated boobs are always helpful !!! :outrage::ehue:

Seriously though, thanks for taking one for the team. A noble sacrifice.

Let me get this straight: I like pixelated boobs. But in a slightly higher resolution. And preferably with a bouncing animation during walking/running. Unfortunately, the boobs in Parhedros are simply unacceptable. And the character models are so fugly, that the slightest titilation gives way to horror and disgust.

A pity because loading screens are sometimes really nice to look upon. Too bad the loading time is way to fast :negative:

Anyway, my adventure with Parhedros seems finished. But I plan to undertake more noble sacrificies soon! There simply have to be some undiscovered gems under the pile of poo.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Ah I remember how I was waiting for The Fall: Last Days of Gaia after some preview I read on a magazine. It sounded perfect on paper. But then it got delayed a billion times and eventually got released filled with bugs and shitty content. Woohoo.
The writing was also bad to the point of being lulz material. "Give me that thelibido... thedildo... theodolite!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom