Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm, it would be nice to know what the game is actually. I mean, they write what the systems will be, but will it have a story or are we just plundering every dungeon we find? Is combat the mainfocus or are there some social kills? You know, something.

There will be several areas to explore and do quests in. These areas will have some major conflicts that the player can get involved in, such as: do you help the locals gain their independence or do you help the imperial loyalists reassert control? Do you help one of three human pretender kings to become the sole ruler over all humans in the area, or do you convince them to forge an alliance, or do you support the orcish invaders? Do you help root out the corruption in one kingdom, or do you join the dark sect that eliminates the enemies of the corrupt members of the ruling class?

There's also one central mystery that you seek to uncover, as well as a central antagonist faction which operates in several areas throughout the world.

As for skills, yes, there will be social skills too. In fact we will have most of the skills of D&D 3.5 and all of them will be able to be used. We combined some of the skills from the D&D ruleset, took some out, but also added some of our own. Every skill that's in the game will have some use at some point.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
There will be several areas to explore and do quests in. These areas will have some major conflicts that the player can get involved in, such as: do you help the locals gain their independence or do you help the imperial loyalists reassert control? Do you help one of three human pretender kings to become the sole ruler over all humans in the area, or do you convince them to forge an alliance, or do you support the orcish invaders? Do you help root out the corruption in one kingdom, or do you join the dark sect that eliminates the enemies of the corrupt members of the ruling class?

There's also one central mystery that you seek to uncover, as well as a central antagonist faction which operates in several areas throughout the world.

As for skills, yes, there will be social skills too. In fact we will have most of the skills of D&D 3.5 and all of them will be able to be used. We combined some of the skills from the D&D ruleset, took some out, but also added some of our own. Every skill that's in the game will have some use at some point.

Thanks. The invasion-stuff reads actually quite fun. I'm always in for some kingmaking :D.

kain30

Cipher
Hmm, it would be nice to know what the game is actually. I mean, they write what the systems will be, but will it have a story or are we just plundering every dungeon we find? Is combat the mainfocus or are there some social kills? You know, something.

Thanks for all the info! will this game come out on steam?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Actually, the misconception that novelists should write video game text needs to die.
video game text is there to support the gameplay, which usually is not reading text, unless you are making a COYA.
So yes, years of experience writing for video games would be a plus, but I sure don't want to have novels embedded in my videogames. That is what led us to the loredumps of the "old school RPG revival".
RIGHT, because loredumps were written by professional novelists who churn out book after book. No, they were written by incompetent game writers who've got jack shit as experience.

Obviously, good writers know what's too much and what's too little. There are certain rules. If a location is major to the plot, they give it more description. Otherwise, just a few lines is enough to establish a few sensory cues. This dictates the pace of the book, and if a description is too long, they risk annoying the reader enough to break the spell. Obviously, retards who did infodumps have no idea what I'm talking about.

I resent the amount of approval you got for this post from gamer groundlings. I'm locked in with bydlo here.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Actually, the misconception that novelists should write video game text needs to die.
video game text is there to support the gameplay, which usually is not reading text, unless you are making a COYA.
So yes, years of experience writing for video games would be a plus, but I sure don't want to have novels embedded in my videogames. That is what led us to the loredumps of the "old school RPG revival".
RIGHT, because loredumps were written by professional novelists who churn out book after book. No, they were written by incompetent game writers who've got jack shit as experience.

Obviously, good writers know what's too much and what's too little. There are certain rules. If a location is major to the plot, they give it more description. Otherwise, just a few lines is enough to establish a few sensory cues. This dictates the pace of the book, and if a description is too long, they risk annoying the reader and break the spell. Obviously, retards who did infodumps have no idea what I'm talking about.

I resent the amount of approval you got for this post from gamer groundlings. I'm locked in with bydlo in here.
Stop talking shit mate,as if not some of the best writers in human history were not pretty shit at grammatical writing. Crammer is irrelevant when it comes down to good writing,life experience and imagination are more important. No fucking wonder that you see that retard King as good writing.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Do you help root out the corruption in one kingdom, or do you join the dark sect that eliminates the enemies of the corrupt members of the ruling class
Corruption? Oh boy. I really hope you don't mean it in the sense of bribery and such. I think it has no place in a medieval fantasy setting, simply because in the medieval times it wasn't considered anything out of the norm.
It's the modern buzzword used a trillion times a year on /pol/ and euronews.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
No. You don't put modern politics into a medieval fantasy setting. It's the same as putting trannies in there and talking about ethics in game journalism.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I think it's clear who the anachronism is

Also, corruption includ. bribery was very much a concern in medieval times, I think you got your history from a "for dummies" book

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It was a "concern", but Nigeria today would seem like an unattainable beacon of light compared to the most "clean" euro kingdoms.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Again, where the fuck did you get your history from, the back of a cornflakes box?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Bribery didn't carry as much stigma in medieval times. In some cultures bribes were even viewed positively.

Of course it was still a concern, but it was common practice and generally ignored.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
How is that different from today, say Russia were comrade Bester is living?

Tigranes

Arcane
Look, it's Bester's thing to personally test every developer to his exacting (but to us mysterious) standards of what constitutes good programming, good project design, good writing, and sartorial sense. You shall not dissuade the man from his quest.

It would, in fact, be interesting to have a fantasy setting where bribery is rife, but people don't decry it as some inescapable pox upon their lives, rather they find ways to rationalise and defend it as an essential lubricant for their political system. Trying to white-knight that bribery is wrong should get you strange looks & unintended consequences.

A bit of a different example, but a historical case where we get such different perceptions: when Malthus originally published his study of populations (from which we get the 'Malthusian catastrophe'), a lot of critics attacked him not for having bad data or whatever, but for allowing his calculations to overrule moral and religious values in reaching his verdict. Instead of considering it objective, they thought it was thoroughly immoral that he should allow his numbers to speak for themselves.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Stop talking shit mate,as if not some of the best writers in human history were not pretty shit at grammatical writing. Crammer is irrelevant when it comes down to good writing,life experience and imagination are more important. No fucking wonder that you see that retard King as good writing.

What exactly does "good writing" mean to you?
Who the fuck was talking about grammar? lool exprience moar important than grammer. Wow, no shit, Sherlock.

And life experience? Isn't JarlFrank like 20 or something? Unless he lived intensely cuddled in a first world country, he doesn't have "life experience".

Also, Stephen King has shit, childish themes, but he knows how to write. He knows how to tie words together to make them sound good. He is in fact a good writer. By comparison, to butthurt you even more because any dumbfuck conservatard will get butthurt by this, Lovecraft was in fact not a good writer. He was however a very good storyteller.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
He's not just "a good writer". He's not divine maybe, but he's at the very least VERY GOOD.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Thanks for all the info! will this game come out on steam?

Of course it will. We're going to release on Steam, aiming for a release on GoG too, and even going to sell a boxed version on our own website (with a nice map just like in the old days).

Do you help root out the corruption in one kingdom, or do you join the dark sect that eliminates the enemies of the corrupt members of the ruling class
Corruption? Oh boy. I really hope you don't mean it in the sense of bribery and such. I think it has no place in a medieval fantasy setting, simply because in the medieval times it wasn't considered anything out of the norm.
It's the modern buzzword used a trillion times a year on /pol/ and euronews.

No. I just chose this word to describe the overall situation without going into too much detail because we haven't revealed our regions and cultures yet. That shall come in a future blog update.

Assuming modern sensibilities crawling into the politics of our game world just because of one word I used in a short, vague description is quite a stretch but then you seem to love making assumptions based on how you believe things to be, without actually having a clue about them.

All I'm gonna say is that in this realm, a group of highly-ranked priests have violated the divine order of the world for personal gain, and the new order they have established is much less stable than the one they have abolished by treacherous means. Central power within the realm is waning, the major cities especially in the periphery are growing more and more autonomous as a consequence, and the high priesthood claims that all is according to the will of the gods.

Are they bad? Are they good? Are they blasphemers who violated the divine order, or are they just opportunists who did what anyone in their position would have done? Is the new order better than the old one? Is it worse? There's no definitive answer to this. Each player might see it differently. (Of course, personally I think re-establishing the central authority and punishing the transgressors is the right thing to do, but some people might think that a less oppressive regime which grants the cities a higher degree of autonomy is a good thing; also, even the guy I consider to be the "good guy" is going to commit some atrocities, because that's what you do with defeated rebels - nothing out of the norm there.)

But yeah, sure, keep on assuming things like "this game will have modern politics in a medieval fantasy setting" even though we haven't revealed any details about the setting and the regions you'll be able to visit yet.

JarlFrank what about companion romances? Can you write them cringey enough?

I can write the cringiest romances you can imagine, trust me.

But I doubt there will be any companion romances since we don't put a huge focus on recruitable companion NPCs. There will be only few of those, and they'll be nowhere near the same level of obnoxious as those in Bioware games. Our game lets you create all 6 characters yourself, after all, so putting a huge amount of work and effort into companion NPCs would be kinda wasted.

And life experience? Isn't JarlFrank like 20 or something? Unless he lived intensely cuddled in a first world country, he doesn't have "life experience".

God I wish I were that young still :negative:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I really hope you don't mean it in the sense of bribery and such.
you seem to love making assumptions based on how you believe things to be, without actually having a clue about them.

What I said can be summarized as "I hope it's not going to suck". Then one of your fanboys came along and started defending stupid ideas, which you have disavowed now. So, what assumptions did I make that expose me as a "clueless" person? Rhetorical question.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Listen, whatever. You can't take skepticism and answer honest to god questions without getting butthurt, so I'll abstain from posting in this thread. I don't want to turn this thread into a shitfest, believe it or not, I don't have anything against your game yet.

I dislike fanboys who have their nose up your ass, but that's about it at this point. I'll be playing your game when it comes out with no prejudice.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Of course it will. We're going to release on Steam, aiming for a release on GoG too, and even going to sell a boxed version on our own website (with a nice map just like in the old days).

Will this be shitty American boxes or superior durable Euro boxes? Asking for a friend

God I wish I were that young still :negative:

Don't we all

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Listen, whatever. You can't take skepticism and answer honest to god questions without getting butthurt, so I'll abstain from posting in this thread. I don't want to turn this thread into a shitfest, believe it or not, I don't have anything against your game yet.

I dislike fanboys who have their nose up your ass, but that's about it at this point. I'll be playing your game when it comes out with no prejudice.

They got some top class artists, top class programmers, top class lot of guys. But the writer has to be some guy just out of a dumpster with shit smeared all over his face? Why's that?

Well, this kinda made it sound like you wanted to turn this thread into a shitfest. But all right then.

Just wait until we actually publish some details about our world, setting, story, quests, etc. These updates will come soon-ish.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

What if Jarl told you you could start glorious revolution in game world, would this be enough for you, comrade Bester?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom