Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Reapa's Chronological List of New and Released Possibly cRPGs

Reapa

Doom Preacher
updated with Skyshine's BEDLAM!

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Anyone for turn based, party based roguelikes?
updated with Crowntakers!

Reapa

Doom Preacher
after all these years i may have finally found a new RPG! updated with Bastard Bonds.
EDIT: my bad. it's a mindless grindfest.

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
changed from text based rpg to walking + talking simulator. did the game have any c&c?

Nope, only dialogue. It's like a multiple choice test but not as fun.

Some Codexers had high hopes for it as a kickstarter project. Cool idea, weak execution. Apparently the dev bit off too much, blew the budget on art & writing, gave up and released it as is. Even the codex review http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9544 is too nice. The game is 99.99% pure Decline.

Lhynn

Arcane
it's a jrpg and you know it.
Quite surprisingly it isnt. Good C&C, decent character system and a few bits of interesting itemization. Much recommended. Also the combat isnt half bad, and every encounter in the game is actually scripted, so no trash mobs.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
changed from text based rpg to walking + talking simulator. did the game have any c&c?

Nope, only dialogue. It's like a multiple choice test but not as fun.

Some Codexers had high hopes for it as a kickstarter project. Cool idea, weak execution. Apparently the dev bit off too much, blew the budget on art & writing, gave up and released it as is. Even the codex review http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9544 is too nice. The game is 99.99% pure Decline.
yeah, it's a crappy adventure game. consider it removed.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Quite surprisingly it isnt. Good C&C, decent character system and a few bits of interesting itemization. Much recommended. Also the combat isnt half bad, and every encounter in the game is actually scripted, so no trash mobs.
i may give it a try but the anime characters alone pretty much make it a jrpg. not to mention the popup dialogue bubbles.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
there are jrpgs that are less jrpgish than this shit. i couldn't skip a 5-10 min intro. then the fucking cut scenes began with all the stupid conversation bubbles where all you can do is click and click and click on them to advance the even more stupid conversation. then after a tutorial fight i was finally able to move around on my own for a few steps before getting teleported to a cave for some unexplicable reason and without any prompts. three chests were there. the loot was 2 keys and a health and energy potion. so much for itemization. fucking 3 different chests. one of them had to be lockpicked and all i got was a fucking potion. for fuck's sake! went back to town and fought a fucking rooster and lost to some midfight summoned hen. the potion was of course no armor or weapon so it didn't really help. the game ended with some bullshit about becoming a beggar instead of a hero due to having lost to a chicken. and then i believe unskipable credits. did i mention the main menu doesn't have a settings option? how is this shit not a jrpg?

Lhynn

Arcane
went back to town and fought a fucking rooster and lost to some midfight summoned hen. the potion was of course no armor or weapon so it didn't really help. the game ended with some bullshit about becoming a beggar instead of a hero due to having lost to a chicken. and then i believe unskipable credits.
:lol: You managed to trigger one of the beggar endings. They are hidden and basically there for real big fuck ups.
While i do agree that the start of the game is annoying, it establishes who nobody is.
Small chests hold keys, medium chests can be unlocked with keys, big chests need you to solve a puzzle and spend a key. Theres a big chest on the west side of town with some valuables for you to see the puzzle. Interesting items start poping up either with mining or after the first year.
You went north and triggered a transition, i think its the only one thats not obvious in the game. The south route transition gives you a prompt, and its to end the first town prematurely.

The UI in this game is atrocious.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I looked on youtube and steam. Looks pretty JRPG to me. Too much talk and cutscenes. Shit-talking in combat...lame.

Red flag steam tags: Casual, Adventure, Dating Sim, Anime. Worse, the bad reviews all say it's buggy as fuck.

Combat is turn based, hex grid.. that's something... possibly. Does it have any other redeeming CRPG qualities?

Lhynn

Arcane
I looked on youtube and steam. Looks pretty JRPG to me. Too much talk and cutscenes.
The overwhelming mayority of talking is in random events. And you can sort of pick those. Accessing them represents a loss on resources, so if you go for a powergaming aproach you wont go for much talking.

Shit-talking in combat...lame.
This happens very rarely.

Red flag steam tags: Casual, Adventure, Dating Sim, Anime. Worse, the bad reviews all say it's buggy as fuck.
Its buggy, and murican version is behind on the patching due to none of their team speaking in english and having to rely on fan translations. its casual in the same sense than fallout is casual. I wouldnt describe it as a dating sim, mostly because theres plenty of content that isnt about interacting with girls and that there is exclusive content for people that dont go down that route.

Combat is turn based, hex grid.. that's something... possibly. Does it have any other redeeming CRPG qualities?
Strong C&C, decent character system and tons of replayability. Its a very unique game, tho its rough as fuck.
If you liked alpha brotocol you are going to like this one, if you hated it, then you should probably pass.

daveyd

Savant
Post-apocalyptic Fallout-wannabe Krai Mira was taken out of Early Access today. However, someone on the Watch said that only half of the planned content is currently available, and the second half of the game is supposed to be released in 10-12 months. So this clearly seems to be one of those, "not really finished but developers desperately need some money" releases.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Post-apocalyptic Fallout-wannabe Krai Mira was taken out of Early Access today. However, someone on the Watch said that only half of the planned content is currently available, and the second half of the game is supposed to be released in 10-12 months. So this clearly seems to be one of those, "not really finished but developers desperately need some money" releases.
been playing it this morning. it's not too bad so far. it's also not fallout...
gonna test it some more.
itemization is great though somewhat limited and gated through stats. you can't use weapons and armors at all if you don't meet the requirements. but hey, the game has stats! which is becoming quite rare with new "rpgs".
world map a la fallout/arcanum but i haven't discovered any persistent locations through exploration. chances are there are no hidden ones. there are random encounters and they do get very repetitive very fast.
the game seems to have a main quest and side quests but so far i've only found one sidequest in the first city. which is almost like: why bother? maybe it's not even a sidequest since it involves the main quest giver to some extent.
for some reason, the game features 3 types of gambling so far. a weird game of dice, blackjack and slot machines. and there's prostitution. i don't get why they would implement these kinds of details before the game was fully fleshed in terms of quests. you can also barter with almost everyone but any meaningful dialogues are completely absent with anyone beside quest givers.
combat is turn based without cooldown cancer, which makes the game better than fallout 4, wtitcher, D:OS and Dark Souls. if you've played crap like that, it may be a good idea to give this game a try to remember what rpg combat feels like.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom