Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebel Galaxy by Double Damage Games (Travis Baldree/Erich Schafer)

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
^ this. Considering this is essentially still the best thing we got since X3 (kinda sad really). What I wouldn't give for another Nexus Jupiter Incident except with C&C.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Isn't X3 ten times deeper? This is only slightly more fleshed out than something like Darkstar One.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A game every man plays and knows well, especially now in these dark times ;)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Very true. Still for $20 it's not bad. What surprises me is the number of people raving about it. As if they've never played anything like Freelancer before.
It is not really a Freelancer game, more like action version of Starfleet Command but with trading and random missions.

You know... This game is missing something. What makes games like Pirates! or other ship sims that rely on broadside combat work is a satisfying feeling when unleashing them. If it were a bit slower, and a bit less chaotic, it would feel a lot more fun and satisfying.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Fucking hell.

Had a fighter swarm mission come up as available in the 2nd system for 100k credits. Mission difficulty, apparently, was 'average'. So I'm like, sure, why not.

I get to the designated NAV point and take care of the five or six gunships/fighters. Easy. Too easy. Before I know it, 30+ fighters spawn on all sides, closing in fast. My shields last about six seconds; I'm dead within eight.

There are missions in this game you learn to just not take, until you're overpowered. 'Vulnerable Duo' for example. The 'vulnerable' duo in question being a behemoth and a dreadnought. They were not that vulnerable for my dinky little frigate.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It's slower and less chaotic as you ramp up scale, MSF. The really big ships are lumbering beasts. But that's a good comparison, actually. This game can be summed up as Pirates! in space.

baturinsky

Arcane
Finished the main quest.
UI is horrible.
Gameplay is fresh and fun, but gets repetitive after a while. About as soon as (quite short) main quest ends. Overall game feels a bit shallow.
Most of the game I was running first Mercenary faction ship (don't remember the name, Very Fast/Very Fast and 6 broadsides), Neutron broadsides, Mining turrets and Mine secondary.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fucking hell.

Had a fighter swarm mission come up as available in the 2nd system for 100k credits. Mission difficulty, apparently, was 'average'. So I'm like, sure, why not.

I get to the designated NAV point and take care of the five or six gunships/fighters. Easy. Too easy. Before I know it, 30+ fighters spawn on all sides, closing in fast. My shields last about six seconds; I'm dead within eight.

There are missions in this game you learn to just not take, until you're overpowered. 'Vulnerable Duo' for example. The 'vulnerable' duo in question being a behemoth and a dreadnought. They were not that vulnerable for my dinky little frigate.
You know, in the description of that quest they even warn you prepare differently for this mission lol. Noobs.. noobs never learn :)

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Finished the main quest.
UI is horrible.
Gameplay is fresh and fun, but gets repetitive after a while. About as soon as (quite short) main quest ends. Overall game feels a bit shallow.
Most of the game I was running first Mercenary faction ship (don't remember the name, Very Fast/Very Fast and 6 broadsides), Neutron broadsides, Mining turrets and Mine secondary.

Sturville. This and Minotaur (the other mercenary ship which I dearly love) are the sole reason anything bigger than Minotaur is a waste of time grinding.

Game is good for what it is. Simple, bit shallow, yet mindless fun to space-bikers riffs. Fun was had.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
You know, in the description of that quest they even warn you prepare differently for this mission lol. Noobs.. noobs never learn

That's one way to look at it.

baturinsky

Arcane
I have bought Blackgate (last non-guild ship) after finishing MQ. 20 broadside is amazing. For some reason (bonus for ship's class?) when I use it, range of broadsides are extended beyond listed value, so I barely need to chase anybody to pop.

praetor

Arcane
I have bought Blackgate (last non-guild ship) after finishing MQ. 20 broadside is amazing. For some reason (bonus for ship's class?) when I use it, range of broadsides are extended beyond listed value, so I barely need to chase anybody to pop.

it was confirmed by a dev on reddit that certain ships get a range bonus on broadsides (iirc, destroyers and dreads + one of the big ships that is neither, i think it's the mckinley)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Tried it for about an hour and it was kinda boring. Combat feels like it has no impact and isn't very satisfying. What am I missing here?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Tried it for about an hour and it was kinda boring. Combat feels like it has no impact and isn't very satisfying. What am I missing here?
Nothing. If you're not a fan of the 2D broadside thing you won't like the game. I mentioned earlier it's apparent that most of the people raving over the game have never played stuff like Privateer or Freelancer. It's not a bad game but it doesn't do anything new.

baturinsky

Arcane
I was too not fond of the game in the first ~hour, but it got better when I got the idea of combat mechanics and overall game strategy (i.e. what and how to upgrade).

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nothing. If you're not a fan of the 2D broadside thing you won't like the game. I mentioned earlier it's apparent that most of the people raving over the game have never played stuff like Privateer or Freelancer. It's not a bad game but it doesn't do anything new.
And I said earlier this game is not supposed to be like Privateer or Freelance, but like Starfleet Command or Starpoint Gemini 2 but a more action version.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
That soundtrack, whoever had the idea is a fucking genius. It fits so well. The Firefly vibe is just the cherry on top.

My favorite track being this one :

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This dirty cheap on gog right now, have never been a huge stargame fan; played a bit of freelancer and Elite back in the day but honestly grindly games are sort of relaxing to me but should I go with this which is supposed to be a lighter take on the elite sort of sim or get an X game instead?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A great man once said, this:

If you're not a fan of the 2D broadside thing you won't like the game. I mentioned earlier it's apparent that most of the people raving over the game have never played stuff like Privateer or Freelancer. It's not a bad game but it doesn't do anything new.

As far as this versus X-series... I can't tell you which one you'd enjoy more because it's all based on your taste. X-Series games are very in-depth and take a lot of management. This is a barebones/action oriented game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom