Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebound: The Binding of Isaac Rebirth remake

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I feel like I've fought Haunt on the first level for my last 50 runs. Fuck Haunt. Seriously, fuck him.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't mind haunt, it's Dingle thats a real pain on the first floor for a lot of characters. Half of them take two shots just to kill a little turd, and the others have such shit range/speed it's basically impossible to dodge his charge while attacking.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Yeah, I've got used to the Haunt and don't find him a big threat anymore, with most characters. Dingle is a bastard though. My gf played an Eden run. Started with Mom's Knife and Dead Dove. Yeah...

Multi-headed Cow

The late game boss that consistly gives me the most trouble is The Abandonded. Those homing brimstone shots...
Yeah, he's a real bastard. You have to try to position yourself juuuuuust right, close enough that the homing brimstone can't curve into you but far enough he can't hit you with shenanigans.

Damned Registrations

The late game boss that consistly gives me the most trouble is The Abandonded. Those homing brimstone shots...
Yeah, he's a real bastard. You have to try to position yourself juuuuuust right, close enough that the homing brimstone can't curve into you but far enough he can't hit you with shenanigans.
He's like Gurdy without the option of cheesing him by standing in a blind spot. Though I find the timing fairly predictable so it's not too bad. Dark One on the other hand, just randomly pops out brim shots on rare occasions, very annoying.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
God, this game is so addicting. Playthroughs are short, but deceptively so, so that you end up thinking, "I'll just play one more quick game," and then you look up and notice 3 hours have past.

If this game were fremium it would have all of my money by now, as it's very good at tapping into that addictive skinner box impulse of stringing out rewards incrementally so that you keep playing that less ethically scrupulous designers make the stock and trade of fremium games.

Anyhow, just got it a couple days ago. Have unlocked all the main characters so far, save for ??? (I've yet to unlock Sheol, so...).

My most god-like/amusing run thus far was with Azazel. I got a bunch of damage upgrades along with the "remote control tears" upgrade, which turns his laser into a giant, remote controlled, circle that takes up half the screen. Stuff would instantly die as soon as I appear on screen. I only had 1 heart the entire game, but nothing could touch me.

Guppy's head (which spawns infinite glowing blue flies and has a really short recharge) turned out to be an instant win button too, which I wasn't expecting given my experience with it in the original. They swarm everyting on screen and kill fast, so you don't even have to do anything.

Over all, though, the game is a huge improvement over the original. There's a seemingly infinite variety of builds and item combinations. I don't even mind the pixel art. People earlier in the thread complained about pixels getting chunkier if a sprite is enlarged, but I actually like that. It reminds me of the old pseudo 3D games on the Genesis and SNES, which would use sprites with a set resolution and simply increase or decrease their size on the screen to simulate moving forward and backwards (Super Mario Kart and the 2D sprites in Star Fox did it alot).

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Apparently there's some weird weighting with Haunt if you are on The Cellar instead of The Basement. I'm guessing that will be patched out?

Also, having book of belial nearly guarantees devil (or angel) rooms it seems; or at least highly raises the chances.

Had triple shot brimstone. HO HOH HOHOHOOOO

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Certain bosses only appear in one sub-level, like The Haunt in the Cellar or The Husk in Catacombs. No idea how they are weighted though.

Annoying that Dr. Fetus doesn't work with all bomb upgrades.

Murk

Arcane
Cursed Contact; damn youuuu. Never again. Was on the gish round of boss rush with maggie; damn thing activates when Gish surprise stomps me from across the room. Was wrecking shit too. Had the one that makes your tears HUGE but short ranges them, with flat worm and shielded tears; I was basically unstoppable against any conventional tear shooting enemy.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So, I've been finishing some of the easier challenges recently and I came across Computer Savvy. I don't get where the 'challenge' is in that one, you're so overpowered you could probably take on Mom on the first room. Probably. However, if you add some tears upgrades and Guppy to the mix... you become an unstoppable murder machine :D (btw, that was the first time I encountered a Boss Rush).

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
fetus in a jar is so baaddddddd

If you mean Dr. Fetus, then I wholeheartedly agree. It's been nerfed pretty hard in Rebirth to the point that you're better off with normal tears. The only upside is that you can use it to find all secret rooms, break all tinted rocks, blue fires etc.

Murk

Arcane
The damage is atrocious; tho it does scale with damage up snow (at least, with things like blood clot and sacred heart).

That brings me to the main reason I'm so pissed; first time I get sacred heart is while doing the demo man challenge. fuck you gaammmeeee

Damned Registrations

Dr. Fetus' extra items from secret rooms and blown up shit more than makes up for the inconvenience of trying to fight certain enemies. It's still better dps than default anyways, in an AoE at that. It's only really a disadvantage against really mobile shit like hoppers. And you can always just bomb the door and skip a room.

Only time I'd even think about passing it up is if it showed up late (like depths or later) and I had lots of tears up but no damage ups by that point.

I suppose it's less worthwhile on scrub difficulty where you get showered in keys and bombs and shit.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Had a run on Lazarus where I got lil haunt and 0 damage, the only modifier I got was a -tear pill early in the run, but then I got the chewed leaf or whatever it's called so I'd just sit there and let haunt kill everything, eventually I also got Gemini and bought the BFF item and even got a circling fly in the Dark Room. Almost lost the whole thing in a room when I didn't notice the vacuum heads doesn't let the invulnerability activate. Demolished the Lamb by doing nothing.
:5/5: would not play again.

Scyrito

Novice
Dr. Fetus' extra items from secret rooms and blown up shit more than makes up for the inconvenience of trying to fight certain enemies. It's still better dps than default anyways, in an AoE at that. It's only really a disadvantage against really mobile shit like hoppers. And you can always just bomb the door and skip a room.

Only time I'd even think about passing it up is if it showed up late (like depths or later) and I had lots of tears up but no damage ups by that point.

I suppose it's less worthwhile on scrub difficulty where you get showered in keys and bombs and shit.

Yeah, Dr. Fetus is considerably weaker now but the utility still makes it worth it imo. It's especially handy at hard difficulty, there's just something supremely frustrating not having any bombs to pop the tinted rocks (the ones with x on them) and the level having 3-4 of the fuckers. Popping mushrooms for Liberty Cap for the mapping in later levels is a nice bonus.

On other note just ran Judas on hard mode, getting Little Chad with Dark bum and Abaddon by Caves II made the run a formality. Book of Belial is pretty damn nifty for snagging them Devil deals.

EDIT, And yeah hard mode is pretty much the only way to play once you get used to the game and have unlocked the goodies.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Just had my most overpowered run to date. I got so much good items from the deals with the devil it kinda felt like cheating :D . Killed Isaac in 15 seconds while taking no damage.

Murk

Arcane
Had a pretty good Judas run with ridiculous fire rate and damage. I am _really_ liking bloody lust now. The persistence throughout a floor makes it a legitimate tool to use, and it synergizes well with the IV bag, blood banks, or demon beggars. In some cases, assuming I have the devil room guaranteed or had taken red heart damage already, I'll even just sacrifice some red hearts for the damage up. I find being able to kill enemies fast is a safer route than having more HP in case I do get hit.

Overall, I like nearly all the new items (even the ones that are a pain, like soy milk, are still pretty cool when paired up with some neat stuff). The spider stuff is a bit much tho -- there's like 6 or so spider spawn items and most of them are kinda crappy. Mom's wig is really good with a fast spawn rate -- the sticky sack is useful for charging enemies, as they tend to just stop charging when they get slowed, and the infection is at least a 1:1 of spider per enemy killed... but then things like sissy longlegs kinda suck.

Overall tho, this game is brettttttty gud. Definitely an improvement, and some of the alt-floor tracks (like for the cellar) are p neat.

Black

Arcane
UNLOCKED GODHEAD, NOW I CAN NEVER TOUCH THE LOST AND HARD MODE AGAIN

barker_s

Cipher
Patron

Dude, you unlocked The Lost? How many tries did that take you? Just reading about how to unlock him gave me a nausea. Not to mention it's supposedly a shitty character.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Dude, you unlocked The Lost? How many tries did that take you? Just reading about how to unlock him gave me a nausea. Not to mention it's supposedly a shitty character.
It's a character who can never have any hearts, so yeah it's baed. Unlocking him shouldn't be that hard since its possible to use seeds which guarantee good items.

Black

Arcane

Unlocking him isn't that hard, the worst part is getting some of those bomb dudes in the basement/cellar to die from. The rest is easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom