Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ? Recent foray of devs on the codex.

Captain Shrek

Although a developer on the codex is not a new phenomenon, recently we are observing a trend of would be game designers involved in 'crowd-sourcing' partially completed game projects flocking to us for a variety of reasons. It appears that the prestige of our good old prestigious magazine has hit a new high and we have become a hub where the needs of a lot of small but necessary functions of the 'development cycle ' are being satiated. I can think of Publicity and Feedback as two of them.

This remarkable influx should be treated with special care and we should take measures that the codex does not get 'used' by some canny guy who capitalizes on our naïve enthusiasm for all things ' Old Skool'.

What it means is that we should have some sort of metric operating beyond a hive-mind which automatically latches on to key-words such as Isometric, Turn Based or Hex Grid and Dialogue trees.

I can casually think of elements like Combat demo, knowledge of previous accomplishments, access to offices of the developers, music and graphic art as some of the parameters the News mods can use to decide how trustworthy is a particular petition before we succumb to the temptation of funding people outright. If we can make such a preemptive analysis of an incoming 'applicants' and make editorials based on these, it would only benefit like all of us.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We already have a metric. If you can actually stay here and defend yourself, then you are more than likely a good game Developer. Unless it is ITS or Obsidian, in which case it always turns into a gigantic shitposter troll feeding frenzy. :roll:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Metrics are for tools, aspies and control freaks. We used to give people enough rope to hang themselves with. That's all the metric we need. Fuck off with your compulsive need to regulate shit. The lack of that is one of the things that make this place what it is.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is an awful idea, there is no metric you could come up with that would satisfy people, and it would just be arbitrary anyways.

The fund drives are given for any project the administration deems fit popular enough to fund, and that's fine with me. Long live the king.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think everyone here who has played games for 10-30 years has some sort of metrics, but they are not universal.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Just read Kz3r0s kickstarter watch thread or the local codex thread and form your own opinion. The codex didn't bother assigning numbers or metrics to its revierws or articles before. No need to start now.

Fuck off with your compulsive need to regulate shit.

I think I found myself a new, glorious out-of-context sig :smug:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Although a developer on the codex is not a new phenomenon, recently we are observing a trend of would be game designers involved in 'crowd-sourcing' partially completed game projects flocking to us for a variety of reasons. It appears that the prestige of our good old prestigious magazine has hit a new high and we have become a hub where the needs of a lot of small but necessary functions of the 'development cycle ' are being satiated. I can think of Publicity and Feedback as two of them.

This remarkable influx should be treated with special care and we should take measures that the codex does not get 'used' by some canny guy who capitalizes on our naïve enthusiasm for all things ' Old Skool'.

What it means is that we should have some sort of metric operating beyond a hive-mind which automatically latches on to key-words such as Isometric, Turn Based or Hex Grid and Dialogue trees.

I can casually think of elements like Combat demo, knowledge of previous accomplishments, access to offices of the developers, music and graphic art as some of the parameters the News mods can use to decide how trustworthy is a particular petition before we succumb to the temptation of funding people outright. If we can make such a preemptive analysis of an incoming 'applicants' and make editorials based on these, it would only benefit like all of us.
Sorry, what?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I consider the influx of developers (and would-be developers) another sign of the end of the dark ages of CRPGs and dawn of a new era of :incline: .

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Are you saying that some things are shit and that some other things aren't shit?

That sounds like shit to me.

EG

Nullified
Everything is shit.

was.

This year is turning out to be better with a lot of TB games with promising mechanics. People making them are HERE and we should provide a clear feedback instead of a scattered one.

A pittance of low-budget games. Truly, this is a new era. :roll:

You're asking for a PC Gamer-esque rating system, as applied to KickStarters, authored by individual news posters.

There's no point in it.

Severian Silk

If the game is not developing in the way you'd like, then simply rescind your KS pledge. You can do that, can't you? (As long as the game hasn't reached its funding goal yet?)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stop pledging to people who don't have demos/varied gameplay footage(unless they're an established company like Obsidian who you know can at least make a game). That should cut down on the duping significantly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom