Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recettear: Capitalism, ho!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I just found out about that stuff yesterday. At first I thought it was yet another generic JRPG with the usual cutesy anime graphics but I was wrong. Recettear is still somewhat related to JRPG because, aside from the anime look, it lets you manage a store buying and selling equipment to adventurers. Yes, it tackles the joke of the weird economy of RPG stores, and in a not-so-subtle way. Like many trading games the aim is to buy low and sell high, but there are other features like arranging the items on display, decorating the store (more than mere cosmetics, this is done to attract more clients or a certain type of clientele), or you can hire an adventurer and go to a dungeon yourself to get some items you can sell in the store afterwards. It starts rather simple but becomes complex as you progress, like when you expand the store and gain new mercantile abilities (you gain experience with each profitable sale; the bigger the profit, the larger the experience bonus). Oh and you got a rather large debt to repay each week which can prove rather challenging.

The game is rather heavy on story and dialogs. This initialy conjured a feeling of dread due to my previous experiences with a fair deal of blandly verbose Japanese games (JRPG but also some less reputable games) but I quickly fell in love with Recettear. There is a lot of text but it doesn't drag and avoids that terrible wooden feel that plague so many others. Sure the whole thing isn't too deep and rather silly, but it's delightfully silly. I'm not sure what the original, released in Japan in 2007, was supposed to be, but the translation by Carpe Fulgur is simply fun. Sure, most of the cast fit their archetypes without much surprises but then you suddenly get playful and self-aware dialogs that poke fun at the various oddities of RPG worlds and their characters. And then you got lines like one of the main characters stating that she loves to download games from the net or the main character's signature "Capitalism, ho!".

The game actually comes out tomorrow, but the demo has been around for a couple of months. Quite long demo too, especially in an age where a demo for a big game may take one hour to download and less than that to complete. It covers the first out of five weeks, which is the tutorial section of the game, and should give a good idea of what to expect.

Of course it's probably easier to get into it if you like JRPG and anime in general. I know some of you here will be scared by the cutesy anime graphics (despite the growing faggotry of the Codex) but if you can get past that it looks like a pretty decent game with a more than decent amount of content. There also appear to be some features you can unlock after you complete the game, such as a survival mode where the game keeps going indefinitely and gives you a larger debt to pay every week.

So far I really like it and will probably pick up the full game tomorrow. I completely ignored that it even existed until yesterday, which isn't terribly surprising considering it's the translation of an indie Japanese game by a small indie company — talk about nice market — but it came as a good surprise when I learned about it. Oh and the savegames from the demo can be imported in the full game, for what it's worth.

zeitgeist

Magister
This game is huge on SomethingAwful (given that the translators are SA goons themselves), and it's been gaining internet popularity at an incredible pace - almost all big game-related boards have a lengthy thread dedicated to it. I've been wondering when Codex would become obsessed with it too.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Codex is unfortunately not obsessed with it. If it is so popular, I wish someone would have posted about it before because it's just fun.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for the info, looks interesting.
PMbutlerhappy.png
Yay!

Lightknight

Liturgist
This game is huge on SomethingAwful (given that the translators are SA goons themselves), and it's been gaining internet popularity at an incredible pace - almost all big game-related boards have a lengthy thread dedicated to it.
I've been wondering how can anyone find anything on SA ? There's just one game board, and it gets about 300 bumped threads per day. Seems like a waste of time digging in there for anything worthwhile.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just finished my first playthrough, nice little game with interesting take on adventuring. Easy though.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Seems to be impossible to finish the game on the first loop. 30k is easy enough, but 80k ?? Hell if i know how to raise that much ! You can get about 200k worth of items just spelunking in dungeons, but you dont have enough time to sell all that junk, and much of it nobody will be able to buy anyway, like i fused this necklace at 24k base price. It just sits there doing nothing, no profit.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Who will review it for the prestigious magazine?

I never buy a game before it's been reviewed on the Codex. That's why I rarely buy any game.

Peter

Arcane
I like the concept, but I just can't get over the anime lolicon shit. Plus, the dungeon crawling is pretty simplistic and the controls are quite clunky.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Controls are fine, but hit detection is a little wonky, and due to camera angle its not always easy to avoid being damaged.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Got it on a whim without knowing what it was. I just completed my first week and it's not.. Very fun? The selling of items isn't the most exciting thing to do. Also, the hack n' slashing isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. I'm just not feeling the gameplay.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Lightknight said:
Seems to be impossible to finish the game on the first loop. 30k is easy enough, but 80k ?? Hell if i know how to raise that much ! You can get about 200k worth of items just spelunking in dungeons, but you dont have enough time to sell all that junk, and much of it nobody will be able to buy anyway, like i fused this necklace at 24k base price. It just sits there doing nothing, no profit.

I think it's doable, but you'd need to be VERY good. If you know the customers well you can get bonus xp for chaining sales without haggling, which gets you levels faster, which lets you buy better items sooner. Staying ahead of the curve is the main issue. The difference between having 100 bucks and no real items to your name after that first payment and having an extra 8k to throw around and keep investing is huge. Having extra money to float lets you take advantage of the temporary high/low price changes on item types, and using that you can make a 200% profit on some really expensive shit. Those payments look a lot easier when you're selling shit for 20k a pop.

My first run I hit the wall at the second week by accident (Had enough money, but bought something without thinking and was just shy.)

I started over from scratch to see how much further I could get without the loop bonuses and got to the last payment; though I failed that miserably, I want to chalk it up largely to abysmal luck. Went through floors 10-25 of the third dungeon all in one go and got fuck all to sell.

It's not the most amazing game ever, but I think it's a good deal at 20$. Going to buy it after I figure out which place they're selling through takes the smallest cut for themselves. Play the demo first though, if you didn't find the small talk amusing or the gameplay addictive the more complicated bits and extra characters that show up later won't really change your mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom