Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recomend some RPGs with Randomness

Blackmill

Scholar
For whatever reason, I really want to play a couple RPGs where randomness is a large factor. And I'm not talking about simple dice-roll mechanics -- I'm looking for something where random events can actually alter the narative course of a playthrough. Fallout 1,2 comes to mind, I watched part of an LP where the guy found 10k caps in a random encounter right after leaving the vault, and it totally changed the first few hours. But other than Fallout and perhaps Darklands (I don't know much about Darklands) I can't think of other RPGs where random encounters are both fun and impactful.

Gregz

Arcane
For whatever reason, I really want to play a couple RPGs where randomness is a large factor. And I'm not talking about simple dice-roll mechanics -- I'm looking for something where random events can actually alter the narative course of a playthrough. Fallout 1,2 comes to mind, I watched part of an LP where the guy found 10k caps in a random encounter right after leaving the vault, and it totally changed the first few hours. But other than Fallout and perhaps Darklands (I don't know much about Darklands) I can't think of other RPGs where random encounters are both fun and impactful.

Oregon Trail and Nethack come to mind. Plenty of unforgiving RNG in both.

Not going to bother with "what is an RPG?" here.

Last edited:

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Roguelikes are all about randomness so tuluse recomendation was expected.

But speaking strictly of random encounters here are some games that have them:
Arcanum (these remind me of Fallout the most)
Baldur's Gate Series
Temple of Elemental Evil

Are these random encounters going to be game changing? No, but they usualy aren't.
The best ones in Fallout, for me, were easter eggs. The devs could go nuts and you could find some one of a kind items, like the solar scorcher on F2.

nomask7

Arcane
Just play roguelikes instead.

I recommend the original ascii-graphics version of ADOM. It feels brilliantly compact, like a Gothic 2 of roguelikes. It's also noob friendly.

A big problem with the CRPG genre these days is dev obsession with "balancing" the game, i.e. railroading you to spend as much time in certain areas as everyone else regardless of how lucky you get. So even when you may find a high level weapon early on, say in Path of Exile, you won't be able to use it yet, because fuck you, that's why. These games don't actually NEED balance, since the player can "balance" the experience by skipping areas until he finds a challenge - and this is part of the fun.

So, not many recommendations I can make. I blame retarded money grabbing devs who don't know what makes a game fun to play. Everything is shit basically, except ADOM, which was made by a single guy on his spare time and released as freeware. Compare with professionals churning out shit year after year. (And some still say capitalism spurs creativity rather than destroying any hope of it...)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Try BloodLust Shadowhunter. Many items and areas are randomly generated and overall it's an interesting game. There is a demo available on developer's site (albeit it's much older than the early version available on Steam so you won't have many improvements)

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I'm pretty sure he's not talking about random loot/items/twists-and-turns-in the-dungeon-stones

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The map travel in Realms of Arkania 2 would be my recommendation - one of the best aspects of this game. Lots of interesting and random things that can happen on the road and while resting.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Expedition: Conquistador has a lot of random events. Party members being injured, ambushed by tribals, etc.

Daggerfall, first two Realms of Arkania games and Darklands come to mind when you ask about cRPGs with "randomness".

Oh, Bladerunner game, it's an adventure game not cRPG but it's random as fuck.

svvvs

Educated
Lost Patrol. You need WinUAE for that one. There is version for Dos but it is inferior.

xTensai

Literate
Mount&Blade Warband, every playthrough is different plus the game is just amazing, there is so much stuff to do and so many mods.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Mount&Blade with latest Vikings add-on. The question is, can you handle that much random?

Care to summarize what this Vikings add-on includes?

It's hard to do without spoiling the experience. If anybody played Brytenwalda mod - it's from the same devs, and Vikings has a lot in common with Brytenwalda.

Brytenwalda was difficult, but rewarding. Vikings is... well, random. It gets easier after a long while, but at first stages everything is able to fuck you up, and you'll never see it coming. Every battle; every trip from point A to point B; every quest decision you make - the game makes you pray for a miracle every moment you endure.

I had to restart it several times at first, hoping for a lucky random start. That's what you do during early game - hope to get lucky.

Speaking technically, Vikings has engine improvements (the engine didn't age well even with all the improvements); entirely new global map; new cities and towns; new stuff - basically everything is new, done from scratch. You won't see vanilla in Vikings. Also, setting is in dark ages, not medieval.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom