Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Recommend me a 2 player tabletop game

Cadmus

Arcane
Guys can you recommend me a tabletop game for 2 players?
Criteria:
- not childish
- not too complicated
- nicely themed would be good, something with atmosphere
- probably not a card game
- not retarded expensive

My gf likes tabletop games but we only play Carcassone with friends but because I hate friends I'd like something that's actually fun in 2 players. Shouldn't be too complicated or time consuming, like 45 mins games tops I think.

I have played only few of these so I have no idea where to start, the stores are full of movie and game knock-offs and I have no idea how to judge the quality.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't own these.
Targi: Played it a couple times (with another avid board gamer not my wife) and enjoyed it.
Five Tribes: Only played it once with the above gamer and his wife. They usually play it 2 player.
Azul: Played a couple of times with 4 players. BGG says it's best with 2.

I personally own these. All have cards but here they are anyway in decreasing order of complexity.
7 Wonders Duel: 2 player variant of 7 Wonders. My wife likes this, but hates Carcassone.
The Downfall of Pompeii: Fill Pompeii with people. Then the volcano erupts. Try to get more of your people out than your opponents. On board volcano to drop guys into. 2-4 players. Better with more players but still fun with 2.
The next two are definitely lighter and more about cards. I own them mostly because my wife likes shorter, lighter games.
Lost Cities: Earn point on archeological expeditions. You need 21+ value in an expedition to get points. You can lose points if less than 20. Some cards add multipliers to your net score in an expedition.
Piñata: Need high or low cards. When someone wins the Piñata it flips over, and it need low instead of high and vice versa. Collect majorities different colored candies to win.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Mr. Jack is one of my favourite 2 player games and it fits all your criteria.

A bunch of characters each with a particular abilities on a board and all controlled by the two players, and one of the characters is Jack. One player knows who he is and will try to have him escape, the other is the inspector trying to unmask and arrest Jack. At each turn some characters are discared as "is not Jack" based on the current configuration.

Cadmus

Arcane
Thanks guys keep em coming Ill research those you posted

UglyBastard

Arcane
Pandemic is quite okay at two players and you can also use it when the friends should come around eventually.

It has nice flavor and good quality set pieces, rules are not too complicated but allow for many decisions and it's coop, so no one gets pissed at the end.

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
I find Mr Jack very basic and boring. Maybe you would like to try Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

My favourite bf/gf games are Hannibal. Rome vs Carthage, Twilight Struggle, Battlecry, Memoir 44, Commands and Colors (both Ancients and Napoleonics), Age of Napoleon and For the People but I think that this is not what you are looking for. Arkham Horror is always a good choice too.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Hive is very popular and a great one for limited space and taking on trips. Can't say it's atmospheric at all but the pieces are nice and a finished game looks pleasant.

Destroid

Arcane
I haven't played it but Twilight Struggle (cold war theme) was on top of BoardGameGeek for years and it's 2 player only.

Also haven't played, but I have watched a game of Star Wars: Rebellion played in person and it looked very good, also it's really only a 2 player game (you can play with 4 but it's not really made for that). Might be a bit on the heavy side though.

Terraforming Mars I can recommend wholeheartedly for 2-4 players, it's great with any of those.

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
Hive is very popular and a great one for limited space and taking on trips. Can't say it's atmospheric at all but the pieces are nice and a finished game looks pleasant.

Hive is very nice indeed. I rec buying the travel size with the mosquito, ladybug and pillbug expansions.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Another vote for 7 wonders duel, it's a nice 2 player civ-building drafting game, nice art on the cards, even my mom learned how to play it.

For more strategic depth, add in the Pantheon expansion.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Viticulture is also a staple for couples games. It's a medium weight worker placement euro where you run a vinyard. Tuscany expansion complicates it but makes it quite a bit better.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Summoner Wars a lot with my girlfriend when we had more time.
I definitely recommend Summoner Wars. The game is about killing the opponent commander. You have to chose whether to play your cards or use them as mana every turn, while moving your units on the board (units are cards that you summon on the board with mana).
Killing units also give you mana.

CIA vs KGB was a bit shallow, but had a nice mind game element.

Dominion plays well with 2 player, but it might get old quickly, and it suffers from a lack of interaction.

Space Hulk is an awesome 2 player game, but maybe a bit pricey for what it is.

J1M

Arcane
Dominion is good for girlfriends because even if you lose you can feel like you were building something positive.

Terra Mystica plays well for the same reason.

Jason Liang

Arcane
For me the best 2 player experience is Netrunner, so I have to recommend either Netrunner or Android Netrunner (RIP). Don't need to get fancy, the core set + the standalone scenario Terminal Directive together is enough of a great Netrunner experience.

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/test/
https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-android-netrunner-terminal-directive/

No one's mentioned LotR: Confrontation. A bit on the simple side and a bit geeky but it has its moments.

2 player Scrabble is always a good way to pass time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom