Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a good game with high system requirements!

v1rus

Arcane
Long story short, I havent completed a game in a long time - last game I beat was Dark Souls 2, on ps3, around June Banner Saga, early July. I've kept playing multiplayer games (Hearhstone, MMOs, DotA) but yall know the difference between playing competitive shit and playing a game which you can actually beat, so I've been craving some single-player for quite a while. I've also had a potato pc for like eight years, and as such I couldnt play any of the games with higher requirements .

But things have changed. Not only have I dealt with all that bullshit people refer to as "RL", but I've also bought a high-end PC. :mrpresident:

As far as my (very limited) understanding goes, I think i can run pretty much anything on high settings ATM. Now, not only I'm ready for some serious gaming, but I'm ready for some serious gaming in its 1920x1020 glory. Imagine my surprise when I found that I have absolutely no idea what to play.

First, the obvious guess - I'd try Witcher 3. Not cause i particularly care about it, but cause I heard normies raising it to glory, and i really, really wanna crush their snowman. And if they are actually right, all the better for me, right? But my OCD wont allow me to play the third installment in series without playing the previous two, especially when "narrative" "actually matters". And there is no way in hell I'm gonna try Witcher 1 again any time soon, especially not now that I can actually run something new. Same goes for Bioshock: Infinite, and to a lesser extent DA:i (i'd play it for the lulz, why not? many lulz to be found at original DA).

Then I tried the next most obvious stuff - games with newer installments where not even the writers care about "narrative". Went with MK10 - and, boy, that shit is wicked. Every single penny I threw to get this beast was worth it. But seriously, as awesome as it is, I've always enjoyed playing fighting games with someone else right beside you. I mean, cmon bros, how can you toss your joypad at an AI ffs? Same goes for Heroes of Might and Magic and stuff like that, no way I'm gonna be playing a worse HoMM3 with better graphics, alone. Never experienced any joypad tossing while playing HoMM tho, but I did partake in Disciples 2 mouse toss.

Now, the real tl:dr -

Recommend me a game with high system requirements that is actually enjoyable. It musnt have any multiplayer, unless multipalyer sucks and isnt the games prime play mode. Also, better stay off sequels, since chances are I havent played a previous installment and my autism is preventing me from enjoying it.

And no, no way in hell I'm gonna play DA:2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Witcher 3... oh wait you said good game. Nu-Doom is good for what it is and looks pretty impressive with cutting edge hardware.

v1rus

Arcane
- last game I beat was Dark Souls 2, on ps3, around June.

Long story short, I havent completed a game in a long time

I can see why.

If you haven't played the Stalker series because of your potato PC, you should give it a shot. There's a thread here on the Codex where you can ask what mods to use.

Played the first one. Never finished it tho, and I should prolly do it asap. But yeah, I could run it, and as such, it isnt what Im after. Wasnt THAT much of a potato, it ran Skyrim. Really badly ofc.

It also ran DotA, but it crashed every hour or two and game start up lasted for 10 fucking mins. Dota is a separate category, keyboard slamming. Or at least it was, now its all zen. Its like the developers didnt intend the "this game wont stop crashing" feature.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Played the first one. Never finished it tho, and I should prolly do it asap. But yeah, I could run it, and as such, it isnt what Im after. Wasnt THAT much of a potato, I it ran Skyrim. Really badly ofc.

It also ran DotA, but it crashed every hour or two and game start up lasted for 10 fucking mins. Dota is a separate category, keyboard slamming. Or at least it was, now it feels kinda amazing. Its like the developers didnt intend the "this game wont stop crashing" handicap.

If you play a lot of action games, especially FPS, consider getting a 144 Hz monitor so you can leverage your GPU power in less graphically intense games (assuming they support >60 fps, which most do). You can get cheapo 1080p ones for less than $200 if you don't care about color accuracy.

v1rus

Arcane
Played the first one. Never finished it tho, and I should prolly do it asap. But yeah, I could run it, and as such, it isnt what Im after. Wasnt THAT much of a potato, I it ran Skyrim. Really badly ofc.

It also ran DotA, but it crashed every hour or two and game start up lasted for 10 fucking mins. Dota is a separate category, keyboard slamming. Or at least it was, now it feels kinda amazing. Its like the developers didnt intend the "this game wont stop crashing" handicap.

If you play a lot of action games, especially FPS, consider getting a 144 Hz monitor so you can leverage your GPU power in less graphically intense games (assuming they support >60 fps, which most do). You can get cheapo 1080p ones for less than $200 if you don't care about color accuracy.

I dont, actually. Didnt play almost any big FPS's, expect Half-Life. Would give anything good a try now, as long as its shiny. And out of high action games, only dota really, and I havent played for past year and a half. Gave it a try now, and its a completely different, pleasant experience (yes ruskies, I'm one of the calm, extra nice fuckers with smileys now:) ) but not one I'm gonna do that often, as it seems right now.

But on a completely different topic, yes, I'm thinking of getting a new monitor. I'm using a HD tv at the moment, and tbh, I have no idea is it any good. At first i thought the colors are all messed up, but it seems like i just didnt know what HD looks like. Still, not sure should I be using a TV instead of a monitor.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Maybe get Crysis, it is still quite pretty and the gameplay isn't bad, especially if you have multiple buttons on your mouse. Batman Arkham Knight if you like dumb action games, it is nice looking. Arma3 is stunning and you might actually enjoy it if you want a more hardcore military sim. Divinity Original Sin is quite pretty and a great game. Portal 1 and 2 are must plays, not high end graphics but decent, and great gameplay. Besiege is worth checking out, it is early access or something so it is lacking in content but if you can get it cheap, it is fun and looks purdy. Also Dishonored looks nice and people seem to love it, I thought it was shit but I tend to hate everything. The new Tomb Raider games, I haven't played them but people like them and they look nice. Assetto Corsa is a racing game, realistic not arcade, very nice looking, people who like that kind of thing love it. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is pretty and people like it, I thought it was totally mindless garbage though, but again, I am fussy. Battlefield 4 is probably the best looking FPS, I haven't played it because I prefer Arma3 but many people would prefer Battlefield.

Witcher 3 is gorgeous, it is like playing an oil painting that came to life. It is probably the best looking game you could buy today. It also has great story, quests, dialogue, but the combat sucks diseased cocks. If you can get over that, you will love it. Otherwise it is worth seeing just for the graphics and stuff. Call of Pripyat was a good suggestion, not really cutting edge graphics wise but a really solid game. Also Skyrim with dozens of mods installed can look am a zing, really amazing. But I hate it so much, I hate the story, the characters, the dialogue, the boring world, the terrible combat, the UI, the music, even the icon. Down with Bethesda, but you might like it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Metro 2033, Batman games, the new DOOM, Killing Floor 2 or Natural Selection 2, Alien: Isolation, Mad Max is one of the prettiest games I've played in recent times and is actually very easy on the hardware. There are also underdog picks like Endless Legend or Cities: Skylines which look absolutely great even if they're not squeezing every last drop out of your card... But if you're upgrading straight from a potato, you might be easily impressed by a lot of games. There's a great feeling in getting a monster of a machine. Like walking out of the cave to see the world in all its vibrancy, only for a shell of that cave to curve its way back over you, your graphics card aging year by year, your settings going from High to Medium to no shadows and no AA until the process repeats itself.

pippin

The Batman games are pretty fun, not really hard or complex but they did nailed the fun factor quite right, at least with the first two, which are the ones I've played. Arkham Asylum is the better game, but Arkham City is the best Batman simulator.

Neki

Scholar
Arma3
Batman games
Deus ex:HR(See below)
Mafia 2(May affect ocd but the first game isn't necessary althought you should play it anyway )
MSG3(Prequel)
Call of juarez bound in blood (Prequel)
Saints row 3

Astral Rag

Arcane
These spring to mind:

Modded STALKER games
GTA V: well optimized, great looking game but the "Advanced Settings" are very demanding
DCS World
M$ FSX: old but can still be very demanding even without mods. E.g. set everything to max and fly over NY

Demanding but wouldn't recommend:

Modern Total War games
Civ V: late game performance was and probably still is the stuff of nightmares
Most Unity games: this engine can be ok for simple 2D games but most 3D games look like hot shit and run horrible to boot
Popamole console ports: these are demanding but for all the wrong reasons

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
GTA V looks great in ultra but doesn't need a high end PC, even a Mac can run it.
Batman games are great but don't need a high end PC either.
Crysis and Metro as a series are bad, don't touch them.
You should pick up and emulator and play some old console games with better graphics. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/emulation-central-recommendations-in-1st-post.86871/
You should know better than buying action games on PC.
Witcher 3 would be your best bet. Gameplay isn't very good but the game needs a high end PC.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Game with good gameplay and high requirements? That's almost paradox.
You can test Stalker: Call of Chernobyl, they are working on engine all the time to make it use from all cores and more than 3GB RAM.
If you want to play Stalker games then
- install Zone Restoration Project for ShoC*
- install Sky Reclamation Project for Clear Sky*
- don't install anything for Call of Pripyat
- avoid Lost Alpha like a plague
- avoid installing Complete mods because they're fucking obsolete like all hell and bugridden and make game blandbanalshitboring
*they are included in some mods like Arsenal Overhaul for Clear Sky

Do you have SSD drive? Then you can play Misery 2.1.1, which would run well on most PCs but it's processing huge amount of files at once so without SSD it's not good experience...

If you play trash like dota games then you might consider playing Path of Exile, which is really cool game for better PC, especially when they release new patch before optimizing anything :troll:

Threads like these remind me about pain of PC upgrading. Nothing interesing and worth wasting money on new parts...:dealwithit:

Some people say Crysis. Well, you can test sequels, which have higher requirements but looks uglier overall.
How about Wolfenstein Old Blood and New Order?

Beowulf

Arcane
First Crysis with HD textures is still a performance hog and personally looks best of the bunch.

Metro games, as already mentioned.
Modded Stalker as well.
Total War with mods.

The premise of the Witcher 1 was that you had amnesia. Just roleplay the third as a guy with another memory lapse. Besides, only two choices from the previous games had minor consequences in W3 - whether you kept the tattoo, and whether you let Leto live.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The new Wolfenstein games look amazing on max settings.

Agreed on Crysis, it's waaay better than the sequels, in gameplay and in graphics. And it shows you how little PC games have advanced since 2006.

You could start with Witcher 2, since you don't seem to like the poor Aurora Engine. :D That game looks glorious on ultra, if I recall correctly, and on sale right now. If that doesn't sit well with ya -- which would be wholly understandable due tot he combat -- there's not much else I can think off. In your stead, I'd probably spend a week modding the piss out of Skyrim, to have those 4K raindrops, you know. But then again, that shit is so poorly optimized not even your brand new PC could take the heat. And one other game I could never run well isPlanetside 2; I'd take a look at that if my potato laptop were to be miraculously replaced by a cutting-edge PC.

This is actually a difficult question to answer, more so than I expected. I've been contemplating an update for months, but if I cannot even think of more than three games on the spot, then what's the bloody point? +M

v1rus

Arcane
Lots of interesting suggestions and lots of funny jokes :incline:

Sadly, most of those games dont seem like they 'll suit me, or I've already played them - like Portal 1 (potato) or Portal 2 (ps3). Is this the moment I realize that I didnt have to throw THAT much money on this machine? Oh well, still gonna check most of the recommendations, since I have nothing better to do.

Now, I'm not really big on realistic shooters, don't know why. Never worked for me. On the other, Crysis looks like the thing I'm looking for. Codexers cant agree on it, it seems, but ill give it a try first. Same deal with Metro 2033. How bad is the plot? And Wolfenstein def looks like the best of the bunch. I played only some older installment in multiplayer (cant remember which one), and it was quite fun. Do I need to read the plot of previous installments :oops:? Also, got Twitcher 1, gonna give that bastard another go. Any tips?

And I actually tried Batman (on ps4) at mates place. Looks real fun, but eh, just not in the mood for it. Never was much of a Batman fan, prolly cause there were a lot more Marvel comics around when i was a kid. Its the time for a good AAA Spiderman game. Make Carnage the primary antagonist and you've got your GOTY. Also, is Deadpool any good? Heard that there is no gameplay, but that humour is good enough to warrant a playthrough.

sser
Actually, I already installed EL, since it looks amazing :bounce: Didnt actually play it, since i expect it has a hotseat mode, and I'd rather try it out with some buddies first.

Oh, and yeah, emulation, ofc. Already got Dolphin, now just to set it up. Dont need anything else tho, since I have all playstation consoles except for PS4 and Vita (there arent many good Xbox exclusives, are there?)

sullynathan

Arcane
Crysis looks like the thing I'm looking for.
Crysis is overrated by "muh PC Master race" crowd because its a glorified tech demo with retarded AI, and boring gameplay and poor level design that gradually gets worse. It is cool to mess around and be wowed by its graphics, especially since you have a high end PC now. Maybe try EYE. I've only played the demo but the shooting mechanics are really good and the game was fun.

Metro 2033 on the other hand is a linear shooter, its a string of lots of corridors. The gameplay is solid, but I'd recommend STALKER , especially Call of Pripyat. It doesn't have the repetitive side missions of its predecessors, with better hit detection and a more open environment with better UI.

Also, got Twitcher 1, gonna give that bastard another go. Any tips?
TWitcher 1 is quite good if you get past the horrid combat system. There's a lot of that c&c stuff, even though some of it is the same shit in the same route with just one different character. I don't think you mentioned your problem with it. Apart from a few save game glitches here and there, I didn't have many technical problems with it.

v1rus

Arcane
sullynathan

I had a problem with intro/starting cut scenes. They last for way too long, and having such a powerful character at the very beginning of the game threw me off. Then the actual gameplay started and those combat stances sealed the deal. I mean, that two handed mode, or w/e it is, just looks waaay to silly. Turned it off thinking "gonna learn all this shit tomorrow" and I havent picked it up since then. Not saying these are good objections, ofc, but they did throw me of the game first time I tried it.

EDIT - just remembered something important - should I be playing Witcher on a joypad or keyboard + mouse?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom