Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a roguelike

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, I've been itching for a roguelike lately, but can't decide by myself. I liked things like Dungeons of Dreadmor, Binding of Isaac, Darkest Dungeon, Bionic Dues (played very little of it), Steam Marines, FTL and Teleglitch. Haven't tried much more than that, and certainly not any of the classics. I find very difficult to get into the classic ones in ASCII (sorry, trve roguelikers, new fag here) and I'd love to know your recommendations.

eXalted

Arcane
Brogue - Very easy to get into, tight mechanics, very deep without getting complex.

Sil - Modern Angband variant. Slightly more complex than Brogue but still a lot simpler than many other more hardcore roguelikes. The combat is awesome and very tactical. Read the first few pages of the PDF manual.

mmap

Literate
Brogue - Very easy to get into, tight mechanics, very deep without getting complex.

Sil - .Modern Angband variant. Slightly more complex than Brogue but still a lot simpler than many other more hardcore roguelikes. The combat is awesome and very tactical.

I must note that Brogue is only good if you enjoy pressing 's' (for searching traps) all the time; and Sil doesn't have tiles (but otherwise is a good game). Also, Sil is not a variant of Angband, it just uses the engine of NPPAngband.

Keye_

Educated
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is pretty fun and fairly accesible.
I'm pretty unexperienced with roguelikes and had a good time.
Also, Neo-scavenger is somewhat like a roguelike I guess? Codex has a review on it if you haven't heard of it yet. (I assume you have)

Edit: just saw that somebody else already recommended Neo-scavenger. I can only further emphasize that recommendation!

Fairfax

Arcane
Sorry, forgot to add that one. That last mothership keeps beating the shit out of me.
Which part of the last battle? If it's the first, just focus on taking out the missile weapon for starters. Once that's done, focus on damaging shield and destroying the cloak system. It's smooth sailing afterwards.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Considering Neo Scavenger was in 3rd place for GOTY, it's a must if you haven't played it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Caves of Qud and Cataclysm: DDA are also decent roguelikes with tiles.

I'm also looking forward to release of Cogmind. It should come to Steam later in this year.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Poschengband is the best angband variant. Caves of Qud is accessible and unique (also quite good). Cogmind and DCSS are also good.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Caves of Qud - great simple visuals, great music, great mechanics, great setting. Gammaworld-like. Can't go wrong, except it's still in early access (but you will die many, many times before getting to the end of finished content anyway)
Neo Scavenger - unique hobo-simulator, realistic-ish turn-based hobo combat and hobo survival mechanics. For anyone who dreams of the hobo life. Several darklands-esque scripted events.
Cataclysm: DDA - deep mechanics, kill zombies

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Sorry, forgot to add that one. That last mothership keeps beating the shit out of me.
Which part of the last battle? If it's the first, just focus on taking out the missile weapon for starters. Once that's done, focus on damaging shield and destroying the cloak system. It's smooth sailing afterwards.
Don't take missile weapons into final battle.
Those will be wasted in 2nd phase.
Bombs are much more effective.

Last edited:

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The second phase is always where I fail (the three times I got to the mothership, anyway). Thanks for the advise!

Woah everyone! I didn't expect so many recommendations, thank you kindly, all of you :)
Cogmind, Caves of Qud and Cataclysm: DDA really caught my eye, I'll definitely chek them out. Consider all of you :brodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom