Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me an open-world game (action or RPG)

Suicidal

Arcane
^
What I'm looking for is a fun open-world sandbox with large pretty environments and lots of things to kill/blow up.

It should be a recent (-ish) (last 5~ years maybe) game because if I am to run around large open fields I want them to look good and I want my grenades or fireballs to send enemies flying into space cause of ragdoll physics.

Some recent (-ish) open-world games I've played:

Just Cause 2 (Really liked it)
Red Faction Guerrilla (Also liked it, mostly due to the ability to destroy any structure and building in the game)
Risen (enjoyed it, but didn't finish cause I got a new PC and forgot to transfer my saves iirc)
Two Worlds 2 (kinda liked it, but got bored)
Saints Row games (liked them)

Any recommendations welcome. Please stick to PC games (or at least console games that can be emulated on a PC) cause I got no consoles.

Thanks in advance!

Astral Rag

Arcane
The Ballad of Gay Tony and Batman Arkham City

Sleepings Dogs had ok melee combat and looked decent enough but the driving model sucks and the story didn't grab me.
If you do end up playing it I would recommend this mod.

Also play STALKER and COP if you haven't already.

Avoid ubisoft's derp-based shooters games like the plague.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Dark Souls?

Is it really open world? I don't know much about the game but I got the impression that it's a bunch of dungeons that come 1 after another. I can be wrong tho.

Also thx for the suggestions keep em coming.

Also play STALKER and COP if you haven't already.

I played stalker long long long ago but had to quit due to bugs and the fact that it ran like shit on my pc back then. I do remember enjoying it. Is COP some sort of expansion for it?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Deep Shadows' games
-Boiling Point: Road to hell,
-Xenus2: White Gold
-The Precursors.
Get some fixes and enjoy enormous world.
You can work for anyone as long as they don't have problems like crossed interest in specific person/item or you take down their important persons.

And STALKER SHoC with Doom's Mod Merge - Anon Edition v4 is truly free play game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dark Souls?

Is it really open world? I don't know much about the game but I got the impression that it's a bunch of dungeons that come 1 after another. I can be wrong tho.

You can go nearly anywhere from the start of the game. Of course, it's not level scaled so you'll get your butt kicked unless you are extremely skilled.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Frontier: First Encounters
Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas

Not what you asked for, but definitely what you need.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen would be my recommendation. It's the best action RPG in...well, ever.

Suicidal

Arcane
Wow, so many recommendations. Thanks guys, now all I need is some free time :negative:

I'll probably start with Far Cry cause my favorite games of this kind is where you can be like Rambo.

And I know Dragon's Dogma is probably good, it being one of only two console games I am actually interested in, but as an owner of only a PC and nothing else, I am forced to wait for a port or when they finally make the PS3 emulator functional.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Wow, so many recommendations. Thanks guys, now all I need is some free time :negative:

I'll probably start with Far Cry cause my favorite games of this kind is where you can be like Rambo.

I found Far Cry 1 okay, but not very enjoyable.
Didn't finish the game after playing about 50-60 percent.
A relatively okay "semi-open" fps.
It's the sequels can be more truly described as "open world".

HOWEVER...

If you want to be cured of your desire to play open world games, the recommended :negative:prescription is Far Cry 2.
Guaranteed to work for at least a year.

I'll admit to morbid fascination with that game that made me try to finish it twice...
Both times at some point on the second map I just couldn't stand anymore, and deleted the game (with extreme prejudice).
If it had been a CD I'd have have smashed it and chucked it out the window, but sadly I have :cry: the GOG version.
It's a train wreck of Legendary Proportions.

Didn't play Far Cry 3, but its evidently a massive improvement due to the fact they fixed part of what made "2" concentrated "anti-fun".
Yet they messed up by dumbing down the few redeeming parts, and making it more even more thoroughly "easy console :popamole:".
This can be apparently somewhat helped by mods...
People say it's enjoyable, but I can't confirm or deny.
You should ask the Codexer's who actually played it.

Did play the standalone expansion "Blood Dragon".
Enjoyed it for about 75%, then it started to wears a bit thin.
Still hold the distinction of being the first "Far Cry" I actually finished.
Would recommend as: "Good For What It Is"...

Didn't play Far Cry 4, but from what I can gather its apparently basically Far Cry "3.5".
There is a large ongoing thread on the Codex here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/far-cry-4-insert-witty-subtitle-here.91672/page-16

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If you want to be cured of your desire to play open world games, the recommended :negative:prescription is Far Cry 2.
Guaranteed to work for at least a year.
I'll admit to morbid fascination with that game that made me try to finish it twice...

I know that feel too fucking well. I hate Far Cry 2. Made me ragequit on starting second map like countless times. But I also finished it twice. It is probably the worst of all Far Cry games, but if I ever play them again - I'll play FC 2.

pippin

Just Cause 2 (Really liked it)
Two Worlds 2 (kinda liked it, but got bored)

JC1 and TW1 could be good places to start, I guess. Haven't played JC2 yet, but JC1 is very fun in that "having an open world to blow things up" kinda way. From what I gather, Two Worlds 1 is more open world than 2, but it takes some time to grow. Still, it can be quite challenging if you just wander around, since some enemies can kill you quite easily if you're not prepared. I think there's a Topware sale going on at GoG if you're interested.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Nothing comes close to Just Cause 2 in terms of what you're looking for.

FarCry2 is a great game, and so is FarCry3.

Cadmus

Arcane
Far Cry 2 was really fucking horribly repetetive MMOish but the ideas and concepts were so good..I havent played FC3 so maybe they got it right, dunno. I also quit in the 2nd area in FC2 and it was a slog till then but I also loved the feeling of it.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
Far Cry 2 didnt have a fast travel option, this and the ever respawning patrols were really a pain in the backdoor.
Far Cry 3 is way better and fixed the above mentioned issues. the storyline is kinda...well, who cares, but its fun nevertheless (Vas is a cool villain, ur friends suck, Tatoo Lady is hot) and the side missions are optional, so if u get bored, you can skip some.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Fart Cry 2+ are all a lost cause. If you enjoy getting malaria or skinning boars to get a second weapon slot while wasting time on consoletard menu system, it should be your kind of game.

But really Fart Cry became the symbol of big corporate philosophy of merging multiple genres to appeal to E V E R Y O N E. And of course multiple platforms, hence the UI.

The same is true for Dragon Age series, Mass Effect, and Skyrim. Dragon Age, Skyrim and Far Cry are essentially the same game. None of them an RPG, some of them a poor man's action game, none of them designed with PC in mind.

Watchhogs too. And that Shadow of Hurrdurr game. And Assassin's Greed.

It's all the same game, where freedom is illusory, time is cheap, and you're constantly being spit in the face by retarded writing.

Until you can't see anything for all the spit, and resign to your little spit-covered world, where all you see on the spit-colored walls are shadows of great promises never fulfilled, and then a glimpse of former you glimmers inside you, and you run to those walls, but trip over the drool pooled under your wife's chair as she's watching the derpy Star Wars teaser, and you fall into a strange room.

The bright lights flicker overhead. Through the spit on your face, you make out blurry silhouettes, moaning "fus-ro-dah", "i want to be a dragon", and something about forced romancing. They surround you, and there's no escape.

In panic, you start yelling how you love to skin boars, and then you realize that the last part of yourself is gone. It is the last glimmer of thought you have as a conscious being.

Undetermined amount of time later, you wake up on the couch. Your wife is sitting next to you with a controller in her hands, pressing the X button over and over. You glance at the screen, where Batman knocks out 30 thugs with a sophisticated array of martial arts moves. Spilling the bag of Doritos between you, you turn to your wife. Her eyes are closed.

Last edited:
Far Cry 2 seems to have that approach, based on what I've read, where it punishes you hard if you don't do things right, and punishes you if you do. I don't mean just slap you or something, I mean it HURTS. And it also has that mentality you should have to work to win. I don't mean focus really hard or be really smart, I mean spend hours and hours and hours searching for XYZ or trying to find a good route or doing something monotonous or having to time something just right. At the end of the day, Far Cry 2 will make you bleed. Is that what you want. Far Cry 3 will give you the open world, but it won't make you bleed.

One is like methamphetamine and the other is like coffee.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom