Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend Me Some Old School FPS

Ivan

Arcane
After playing some modern classics, such as Borderlands, Call of Duty 4, and Bioshock, I'm looking for new games in a similar vein that kick much ass. Joking aside, following is the list of greatness. Obviously, all of the following are worth checking out.

currently playing: Quake (meh), Blood (awesome)

GODLIKE:
(Brutal) Doom 1/2 (Hell Revealed)
Shadow Warrior (Wanton Destruction)
Blood
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (Lurk 1.2 TBR) Call of Pripyat (Misery 1.1). Clear Sky is not essential
System Shock 2

DAMN GOOD:
Half Life (Blue Shift + Opposing Force)
Crysis 1
Far Cry 3 (Ziggy's mod)
FEAR 1 (expansions are good too)
Serious Sam: First and Second Encounter

OKAY:
Painkiller Black Edition
Quake
Serious Sam 3
Bulletstorm
Hard Reset
Nu-Shadow Warrior
Duke 3D

RECOMMENDED BY THE CODEX (may be shit, haven't played yet)
Quake 2 (The Reckoning is a must!)
Quake 3 Arena
Quake 4
Unreal Tournament
Hexen 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Strife
Shogo: MAD
AvP1
Redneck Rampage
Wolfenstein 3D
SiN
C&C Renegade
Last Rites
Blood 2
No One Lives Forever (coming soon to GOG)
Kingpin: Life of Crime
Unreal
Hexen
Heretic
Gunman Chronicles
Target
Trespasser
Gloom Deluxe
Dark Forces 1/2
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
KISS: Psycho Circus
Necrovision / The Lost Company
SiN Episodes: Emergence
Dark Salvation
System Shock 1

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Max Payne 1-3

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Quake 1 is interesting : there are some good maps, and it is quite moody and has an interesting universe. You can get it with the expansions on Steam.

You might also want to try SiN , and why not checking out the shit-ton of maps and total conversions that have been made for Doom, Duke Nukem and Quake ?

Ivan

Arcane
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely going to scour for Doom maps/mods once v20 is out. I can't say the same for Duke. I enjoyed the silliness quality of it but its gunplay doesn't hold up to Doom's or Shadow Warrior's. I' check out Sin on gog. Also, is Blood 2 any good? I've heard it was pretty disastrous here at the codex.

Random mediocre shooter from '90 is better than 99% of nowadays fpshooterz.

10/10
(Ultimate)Doom(2)
Quake, Quake 2 (The Reckoning is a must!), Quake 3 Arena
DN3D
Unreal Tournament
Hexen 2
Blood

9/10
Strife
Shadow Warrior
Half-Life

8/10
AvP1
Redneck Rampage
Wolf3D
SiN
C&C Renegade
Last Rites

7/10
Blood 2
NOLF
Kingpin: Life of Crime
Unreal
Hexen
Heretic
Gunman Chronicles
Target
Trespasser
Gloom Deluxe
Jedi Knight
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
KISS: Psycho Circus

Old 7/10 is like 9,5/10 by today standards.

Newer shit worth playing:

Necrovision / The Lost Company
SiN Episodes: Emergence
Painkiller / Battle out of Hell / Overdose / Resurrection / Redemption / Recurring Evil / Hell & Damnation (shit level design though)
Serious Sam 1 / 3 (as above)
Quake 4
Dark Salvation

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The original Quake is probably my favorite "old school" shooter. Don't ignore Dark Forces either, it's a solid Doom clone you might like a lot if you appreciate the older Star Wars aesthetic.

Getting a little newer Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight is probably my favorite shooter of that era. The graphics are pretty ugly now, but the gameplay still shines.

FEAR is probably my favorite "modern" shooter, if 10 years old is still modern due to long ass console cycles.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
The best of the last years must be Stalker i guess, nothing else comes to mind.

HL1 (opposing forces), Blood, Jedi Knight, Stalker, Fear is pretty good.

Also Max PAyne 1 and 2 but thats third person.

Euronymous

Augur
Quake (plus the two expansion packs which just add more to the world), Quake II (also the two expansion packs which are miles better than the vanilla game), Quake III Arena (and Team Arena), DOOM II: Hell on Earth (a massive improvement over the first game, also check out the modification called "Hell Revealed" as well), Heretic (you may not want to bother with this as it is mostly like a medieval themed DOOM clone unlike the sequels), Hexen: Beyond Heretic (closer to an RPG really, but still has a lot of FPS elements), Hexen II (same), Unreal, Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Star Wars: Dark Forces (NOT a DOOM clone like everyone says), Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Half-Life.

I may think of more later...

bloodlover

Arcane
What's the name of that game where you had two pistols at the same time and a katana at some point ?

Eyeball

Arcane
Uh, Shadow Warrior? That was dual uzis, though.

As for what game to play, get NOLF1. It's insanely underrated.

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks bros. Will keep an eye out for these on gog.

As far as modern fps go, I've enjoyed Painkiller (amazing variety, wish there were more death animations), Serious Sam (can get a bit mundane but it's weapons feel awesome, also unloading double barrel shotgun on a kleer never gets old), the new Shadow Warrior (def' a console game but still p. enjoyable), Bulletstorm (could have been so much more/fucking consoles), Hard Reset (very similar to Painkiller).

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Since FEAR and Max Payne made into the recommended list, there is no reason not to include:

Far Cry 1, Crysis 1

Ivan

Arcane
I had a bad experience w/ Far Cry that completely mars my memory of it. Bullshit "mutant enemies", pew pew guns, but above all else I kept on getting raped by enemies that spot you from fucking miles away, get shot through tents. Crysis amended most of its faults.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
The only notable (but not truly great) FPS' I'm not seeing mentioned is:

Old school:

Alien Trilogy
Red Faction
Turok 2

New:

Wolfenstien (2009)

Then you could stretch the usual parameters and add stuff like Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth or System Shock.

There's plenty good TPS also, though like FPS not so much these days.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There is only One Oldskool FPS:

e8r895.jpg

* in lieu of gifs made for the original

zwanzig_zwoelf

Instead of going for 'my grade' list, I'll just post some... Actually, I don't know what you consider 'old school', so I'll just post good shooters from the top of my head up until 2003.
Blood 1-2
Requiem: Avenging Angel
Hexen 1-2
Doom 1-2, TNT, Plutonia (with PSXDoom TC)
Quake (the first one)
Red Faction (I recommend you to try the second game if you want 'more of the same, just way worse')
Descent 1-3
Terminator: Future Shock/SkyNET
Chasm: The Rift
AvP 1-2
NOLF 1-2
Unreal
Cybermage
System Shock
Alien Trilogy

Assassin 2015
John Romero's Daikatana
:troll:

EDIT: I actually played these games, just in case.

Also, is Blood 2 any good? I've heard it was pretty disastrous here at the codex.
It's pretty playable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Arcane
The only notable (but not truly great) FPS' I'm not seeing mentioned is:
Red Faction
There's plenty good TPS also, though like FPS not so much these days.

Funny you should mention that. Since I was born in 90, I grew up with Super Nintendo>64>Cube (piece of shit died before I could play the "good" games>PS2. My first PS2 game was Red Faction 2. I enjoyed it at the time. It's just interesting looking back at the things you enjoyed and seeing how they just don't measure up to your expectations anymore. I recently bought RF1 so I'll be giving that a go.

I'll keep updating the list. Thanks for the recommendations guys. Will check out Hell Revealed ASAP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom