Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend Me Some Old School FPS

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Clear Sky is not essential

What? Vanilla Clear Sky had the most intense gunfights against human soldiers in the whole series!

Ivan

Arcane
At what cost, man! AT WHAT COST? In all seriousness, Clear Sky had some p. cool maps but come on, a boss fight with a heli? An artifact that nets you +10kg weight in the first map, a shitty story that forces you to a shitty final map. Soc and CoP, especially w/ Misery, render Clear Sky pretty redundant to me. It's not horrible, it's just not essential.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Funny you should mention that. Since I was born in 90, I grew up with Super Nintendo>64>Cube (piece of shit died before I could play the "good" games>PS2. My first PS2 game was Red Faction 2. I enjoyed it at the time. It's just interesting looking back at the things you enjoyed and seeing how they just don't measure up to your expectations anymore. I recently bought RF1 so I'll be giving that a go.
P

Tbh I rarely get that. Most celebrated old games absolutely deliver. I'm having trouble with Morrowind (even with mods) surprisingly enough. Of course the game still delivers but the sense of wonder & magic is gone. I thought I'd have a hell of a time because I only played it through twice way back when but it's failing to grab, or immerse me any more. I think I may prefer Arx Fatalis...

zwanzig_zwoelf

:lol:

Forgot to mention TEKWAR. The game has pretty good ideas, but the execution is... ahem.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Yes, I made a mistake, but I cannot edit my posts. The mods put me in the doghouse.

Essegi

Cipher
Clear Sky is not essential
What? Vanilla Clear Sky had the most intense gunfights against human soldiers in the whole series!
At what cost, man! AT WHAT COST? In all seriousness, Clear Sky had some p. cool maps but come on, a boss fight with a heli? An artifact that nets you +10kg weight in the first map, a shitty story that forces you to a shitty final map. Soc and CoP, especially w/ Misery, render Clear Sky pretty redundant to me. It's not horrible, it's just not essential.
Clear Sky is considered the worst episode, but has some truly spectacular moments. I won't call too essential for all, for me it has been. Too bad for some flaws (essentially ones Ivan said, i add that is the less modded of the 3 and too bad mighty Spartan 11:11 is dead), but it's still a good fps.

Back to IT.
Wrack: cell shaded old school title inspired from doom. Seems nice. If i am not mistaken the creator of Zandronum is a dev of this...

The Wheel of time: never had the chance to play it, but i've heard that it's good

Catacomb serie: truly old school, i've still to play it.

Paranautical Activity: "Paranautical Activity combines the classic FPS action of games like Doom and Quake, with the randomness and difficulty of modern roguelikes like Binding of Isaac and Spelunky." True or not (and calling roguelikes spelunky and Isaac... Meh), it's cool.

And i'm badly waiting that: Necropolis
too bad dev cancelled a video, it was cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgspKVay6k
I DO WANT THAT!!!

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane

Wolfenstein 3D, try RoTT (the original, not the abysmal reboot) and Blake Stone.

The classic idtech1 games, I use Zandronum in conjunction with Doomseeker. Don't use Brutal Doom if you're playing Doom for the first time.

Dark Forces, Dark Forces II and Jedi Knight if you're into Star Wars

Quake with QuakeSpasm, Mission Pack 1 is definitely worth playing Mission Pack 2 not so much. Don't forget to try some of the amazing custom maps:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/good-quake-maps.88418/

Duke 3D and Blood, check out the Bloodlauncher: http://blood.nanoaugur.net/

Outlaws

Kingpin, Sin, SoF

Unreal and UT, use http://kentie.net/

Clive Barker's Undying

Play Q3 until you're able to complete the campaign on nightmare :rpgcodex:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

NOLF 1 and 2

FEAR is a must play. FEAR 2 is mediocre at best, FEAR3 is an abomination.

Killing Floor is one of the few recent FPS worth checking out.

Don't forget real true oldskool FPS classics like Nitemare 3d, Daikatana, Fallout 3, Catechumen, Unreal 2, Depth Dwellers, Operation Body Count and Codename Nina.
:troll:

Mordern FPS

Crysis 1
Far Cry 3
Nu-Shadow Warrior
Quake 4

Those are all garbage, modern FPS indeed.

Since I was born in 90

Ban please ;)

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Add to this list Terminator: Future Shock and Cybermage. I had a shitton of fun with them.
Also first System Shock.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We should have a sticky with a nice list of fps games and additional tweaks/graphical mods. Without any discussions about the quality of tire textures and other issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom