Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Recommend me some squad-based shooters (with controller support)

Ebonsword

Arcane
Playing through Rainbow Six: Vegas and Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City recently reminded me how much I love squad-based shooters. It also reminded me how much I prefer playing using a controller instead of keyboard and mouse (decline, I know).

So, what other quality squad-based shooters are out there, preferably with controller support?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Clive Barkers Jericho is pretty original in the genre. You got s squad of guys with supernatural powers fighting against supernatural threats. Characters are nicely developed. Plot twists and ending are something to admire.

Then there is Binary Domain, which I personally absolutely stress out for you. The story is great, the gameplay is great, the chars are great - fuck, it even has voice supports for you to cry smth like "COVER ME FUCKERS" during play. And squadmembers have that "respect bar" - if it comes too low, they will refuse to follow orders. Awesome game, not joking.

Can't think of other truly remarkable squad-based shooters. Far Cry 3 had missions with up to 4 players involved, but there are just several of them and you need to actually coop with other players. But if you count two people as a squad, there are some other nice games, like Army of Two or Kane&Lynch. If you want less gameplay and more popcorn movies, there is always Mass Effect.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Then there is Binary Domain, which I personally absolutely stress out for you. The story is great, the gameplay is great, the chars are great - fuck, it even has voice supports for you to cry smth like "COVER ME FUCKERS" during play. And squadmembers have that "respect bar" - if it comes too low, they will refuse to follow orders. Awesome game, not joking.

I got Binary Domain as part of a Steam sale awhile ago. I do *not* understand the hype for that game. Your partner just talks and talks and talks, and I'd much rather shoot him than the enemies. On top of that, they keep interrupting the shooting with other shit. When I play a shooter, I don't want to be given a stealth swimming section, especially five minutes into the first level. And the gunplay itself seems to be pop-a-mole of the worst kind.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

I got Binary Domain as part of a Steam sale awhile ago. I do *not* understand the hype for that game. Your partner just talks and talks and talks, and I'd much rather shoot him than the enemies. On top of that, they keep interrupting the shooting with other shit. When I play a shooter, I don't want to be given a stealth swimming section, especially five minutes into the first level. And the gunplay itself seems to be pop-a-mole of the worst kind.

Idk, I didn't read any reviews on it, just saw it in ps3 store sale and my friend proposed to make a blind coop run-through. So we set it on max difficulty and went for it, that was probably the best FPS coop game I ever played.

They got the pacing just right. Stealth swimming? You mean the LITERALLY 1,5 minutes of gameplay? Jeez, just count it as a cutscene, you can't actually fail there. The challenge is there allright, what popamole are you talking about? The giant spider boss on that town square was a real bitch and there were definetely some parts where we got stucked. Constant speaking - well, I guess at the firs 1/4 of the game, during "live action tutorial". That's the problem of all modern FPS, kinda of stupid trend.

What I like the most is that "cyborg gore" theme. The game would be banned in all countries if there were human enemies, but replace them with cyborgs and you can implement all kind of gory desections. Felt like good old Medal of Honor.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Stealth swimming? You mean the LITERALLY 1,5 minutes of gameplay? Jeez, just count it as a cutscene, you can't actually fail there.

Oh, you certainly can. I just did last night when I tried to replay that stupid game. Some drone spotted me during that section and shot at me until I died (with me having no way to shoot back). That's when I rage-quit.

The challenge is there allright, what popamole are you talking about?

The whole first section of the game (that isn't your idiot partner babbling on or crappy swimming sequences) is just moving from chest-high wall to chest-high wall shooting at enemies who are also hiding behind chest-high walls. It's the very definition of popamole.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Stealth swimming? You mean the LITERALLY 1,5 minutes of gameplay? Jeez, just count it as a cutscene, you can't actually fail there.

Oh, you certainly can. I just did last night when I tried to replay that stupid game. Some drone spotted me during that section and shot at me until I died (with me having no way to shoot back). That's when I rage-quit.

The challenge is there allright, what popamole are you talking about?

The whole first section of the game (that isn't your idiot partner babbling on or crappy swimming sequences) is just moving from chest-high wall to chest-high wall shooting at enemies who are also hiding behind chest-high walls. It's the very definition of popamole.

You don't want to give it a chance, do you? All modern FPS are corridors and cutscenes, I'm not happy about it too. But this one actually has decent plot, chars and battles ONCE you make it past tutorial part. Is this tutorial part stupid? Well, of course it is! One should be thankful they didn't make any more stealth swimming throughout the game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I prefer playing using a controller instead of keyboard and mouse (decline, I know).
WHY

If you want to use a shooter using a controller than play a top-down twin-stick shooter

Example:

And even then you better make sure it doesn't have enough extra hotkeys that you can't fit on a controller.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Also any shooter is better with a G13 for movement and then regular mouse for aiming/shooting. Main reason is that you have 4 fingers to click on keys without ever moving your one finger off movement control, rather than having 3 fingers for WASD (index, middle, ring) to move and being obligated to move off the keys to hit another hotkey.

Yes, yes, you get accustomed to doing super-split-second WASD but I assure you it's superior however minor. For me I liked it a lot when I switched, and I used to play years and years of Quake 3.

g13-gaming-gameboard-images.png

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Baldur's Gate 1.

Bows are so good...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom