Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me something!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The simple solution would be to remove knockdown but at least next time make it less OP.
It's bad enough reloading after being knocked down by a crossbow right on the first round. (the fuck are those bolts made of anyway).
FYI, in Dungeon Rats instead of KO enemies are staggered on critical strike and lose 3 AP.

Parabalus

Arcane
The reason is simple - you're usually outnumbered, which isn't symmetrical either. Since we have no difficulty levels, weaker players need help managing crowds. When you're fighting against 4-6 opponents, removing one guy for 2 turns isn't a big deal. That's what the bolas are for. Using it on the player's character would mean instant reload that's why the enemies don't use them.

I've never used them myself because I don't need to. Clearly, our friend Jason is very bothered by them so we can definitely take them into consideration. So how would you tweak bolas? Removing the choke and knockdown is pointless (might as well remove bolas entirely). Lowering THC would simply force the player to reload 10 times which isn't fun. We can, for example, split it into normal and critical effects where only a critical would choke someone.

Keep in mind that you are an experienced player and at this point I'm more concerned about not removing the only tool that can help struggling players than removing something you can ignore on your own.

I don't think you should really do anything about them. When you're new and you realize what bola choke does, using it to kill slaughter someone you had problems with is very satisfying. Do you, as you play, realise it's basically an IWIN button in 1v1 encounters? Who cares really at that point? Here we are discussing no defense and no offense builds which are so far removed from the usual you shouldn't take it into account.

You definitely shouldn't make them more dependent on RNG, I'd even up them to 100% and remove the critical effect because they just encourage save scumming this way. There is also something weird about how enemies have 0 defense the turn after they remove the bola from their neck. I think the new player would also benefit from bolas being used against him in an easy encounter, just to get a feel for them, ie. reshuffle one Teron encounter so you get bolaed but the enemies aren't in range to take advantage of it, just to showcase the mechanic to the player.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller, I don't know if this is happening with other players, but both the mercenary and praetor playtroughs I tried recently are starting with a completely unfocused camera. That is jarring and can repel new players.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Vault Dweller, I don't know if this is happening with other players, but both the mercenary and praetor playtroughs I tried recently are starting with a completely unfocused camera. That is jarring and can repel new players.
Not sure if it's a bug but my camera kept getting stuck on random level geometry.

bati

Scholar
That seems to be intended behavior (camera collision) since you can force it pretty much everywhere with slightly taller objects.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I am Alive, Dustbowl, Lisa or ... Underrail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom