Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Tehdagah

Arcane
It will be repetitive and boring like the first one.

That gameplay trailer kind of sucks. It doesn't really go in-depth on anything it's touching upon despite these gameplay videos being a series of things they're doing. Hopefully there'll be one that actually goes into how the improved melee system works, what changes if any have been made to the shooting, and how stuff like your horse inventory and management work, ditto for the camp management. You get to see the stuff, kind of, but info wish this doesn't tell us anything we haven't known since May. In fact the First Look May info back on page 14 goes into more detail than this trailer designed to tell us about the stuff we already knew about.

It's a very nice look game though.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
The graphics look quite good (probably will get a downgrade compared to the trailers like it was with gta v) and that's it. Nothing really impressive so far (admittedly, I haven't been following the game closely or consistently to be thoroughly informed on all stuff), need more gameplay videos with actual gameplay and more details about what else there will be for your entertainment apart from doing the missions concerning the main plot.

Last edited:
So, instead of being able to catch escaped slaves and lynch unwanted blacks your gang is a mixed-race gang, saloons have niggers drinking beer like freemen and you can even have a romance with a black woman. I'm disappointed in this complete lack of historical accuracy.

The project's historical adviser is actually quite respected.

This game is far too tame for Tarantino to approve:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm only ever so slightly concerned over Benzies departure and effect it may have on production, but he's left behind enough infrastructure hopefully.

The latest trailer looking really good.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah it looks fantastic. Just wish I didn't have to do my first playthrough on a 30fps machine.
Of course lot depends on writing and mission design, hopefully it will be better than in the first game.

sullynathan

Arcane

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is it boys, pinnacle of gaming.

IJWebvY.gif

Stella Brando

Arcane

Is this where the mysterious desert is located?

The other image is a Mexican style church, surrounded by trees.

There were no deserts on the leaked map.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
for your entertainment apart from doing the missions concerning the main plot.

This is what GTA is since GTA 1, you do the main missions advancing the plot and in the meantime you wreak havoc by shooting stuff.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Fuck, maybe the whole gta 'genre' is simply not my thing (so far I've completed only one game from the series), but I got really bored shooting at things and doing those stupid mini-games in the first rdr. The in-game world itself didn't seem much compelling and fun to explore, wander around, wreak havoc in etc.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Fuck, maybe the whole gta 'genre' is simply not my thing (so far I've completed only one game from the series).

The "genre" has never been anything truly special, but there is some good in there. Just depends on what shit you've been playing.

but I got really bored shooting at things and doing those stupid mini-games in the first rdr. The in-game world itself didn't seem much compelling and fun to explore, wander around, wreak havoc in etc

Indeed it wasn't. Red Dead Redemption is one of the more acceptable modern games, and is OK as a contribution to the "GTA genre", but it's nothing much notable, especially when it comes to fun gameplay as you noted. Play GUN (2005) instead. Everything is a little bit better there, except graphics naturally: Exploration is a little more rewarding. The game isn't dumbfuck-easy. The missions are varied and enjoyable (except maybe some of the farm hand ones). The story is gripping.

For reference RDR is a 7.25/10, and GUN is a 8.25/10.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Is it just me or does R* think that good exploration=big pretty map to wonder around?

Anyway can't expect anything exceptional out of this. Ever since GTA4, R* has seen to forget that the reason why their games were fun to begin with was just to fuck with the AI and do crazy shit in game world. The missions purpose was to either serve as tutorial for the shit the player could do or to do shit he couldn't outside them (some SA examples: driving like a maniac to scare the guy hanging in the car's roof; trying to enter a cargo plane before it lift of; etc).

Is it even going to be released on PC?

Ash

Arcane
Anyway can't expect anything exceptional out of this. Ever since GTA4, R* has seen to forget that the reason why their games were fun to begin with was just to fuck with the AI and do crazy shit in game world. The missions purpose was to either serve as tutorial for the shit the player could do or to do shit he couldn't outside them (some SA examples: driving like a maniac to scare the guy hanging in the car's roof; trying to enter a cargo plane before it lift of; etc).

Wut? You say sensible stuff like this:

Is it just me or does R* think that good exploration=big pretty map to wonder around?

And then claim the old games were fun just because or primarily because emergent sandbox shit. Meh.
I for one enjoyed most of R*'s old missions and handcrafted stuff, like the hidden mountain biking or BMX missions in San Andreas. And guess how they were found? Pure exploration. Back when they did know how to make exploration fun.
They were never great missions in R* games, but fun enough. Modern GTA missions are just shit popamole.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I thought the whole purpose of missions was to unlock maps, so I didn't have to glitch over the bridge or the military and FBI exterminate me. Never realized it was for stowy time. Some missions were memorable aye.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And then claim the old games were fun just because or primarily because emergent sandbox shit. Meh.
I for one enjoyed most of R*'s old missions and handcrafted stuff, like the hidden mountain biking or BMX missions in San Andreas. And guess how they were found? Pure exploration. Back when they did know how to make exploration fun.
They were never great missions in R* games, but fun enough. Modern GTA missions are just shit popamole.

Never claimed the missions weren't fun Ash and I do agree they were fun for the most part. But I do believe the sandbox experience was the main focus of those games, it was the reason why most kids played them back them (at least that's how it was here) and it was their biggest selling point. A significant portion of the missions were meant to teach and/or unlock weapons/services/areas/houses/actions so the player could them craft those emergent moments outside them and discover those hidden activities.
And of course like I said in the previous post, the exploration of these games also dropped considerably in quality since GTA4 because they now think a big pretty game world is what makes the exploration rewarding and not those handcrafted activities/locations.

Stella Brando

Arcane
The bond with your whores is crucial, and changes based on your treatment.

Some breeds are better suited for certain tasks.

Over time, the bond between you and your whores will grow, making them easier to control in tense situations.

Some interesting tidbits about the pimp side-missions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom